Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 3:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Christianity?
RE: Why Christianity?
(August 20, 2015 at 9:55 pm)lkingpinl Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I have a funny story about that GT bee of yours.  My brother-in-law who is an embezzler (don't worry his wife and Jesus forgave him), and more money oriented than anyone I know (his conversation is all about salary and cost of toys), but also an evangelical (he can't talk about his church without talking about money either) had your avatar in the form of a flag on his lawn.   Yeah, I don't like him much though I love my husband's sister.  But getting back to my story his bee caused me to Google image search it as I suspected a Christian symbol that I didn't know about.  Nope:  Georgia Tech, his alma mater.  It's a very good school.  But it didn't teach you to reason dispassionately or how to weigh evidence.  And it didn't teach him ethics or even how to go about embezzling very well.

I went to Michigan. What does that say about me?  J/K. Wink

I haven't the foggiest.  You ever embezzle?  Somehow I doubt it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 7:47 pm)abaris Wrote: Sometimes I really think, Randy is a Poe on a mission to make christianity and christians look as bad as possible.

(August 20, 2015 at 7:52 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Whatever his aims, he is one determined motherfucker. The wasp avatar suits him.

Which, btw, is one of the top engineering schools in the United States with students from all over the world competing to get in.

So, maybe I'm not as stupid as you think.

[Image: ani_yup.gif]

Stupid comes in many forms - you being Exhibit A here.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Why Christianity?
(August 20, 2015 at 10:05 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:55 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: I went to Michigan. What does that say about me?  J/K. Wink

I haven't the foggiest.  You ever embezzle?  Somehow I doubt it.

Nope not smart enough to Wink
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(August 20, 2015 at 10:02 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:53 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: The alma mater does say one thing: some college grads ARE smarter than others. And the fact that some Christians went to really good schools suggests that not all Christians are stupid...a fact that is lost on the crowd here who didn't go to those same schools.

Just sayin'.

I've never said you were stupid, just deluded in a particular area where you use your intelligence to avoid rather than to confront facts.  My brother in law is a bright cookie.  But he condemns the morals of others all the time despite an avarice of his own so large it lead to embellishment.  He jokes about killing people too, but what's a little murder among family?  You shrug off plagiarism.  "Big whoop." 

Jenny, seriously, you are a cut above most of the folks in this forum...at least you present yourself in a more mature manner than most, okay? Now, work through this with me (and look at it from my vantage point for just a moment):

As a Christian, I'm interested in helping as many people see the truth as possible, right? I'm not getting paid for this, I'll never be famous for anything I post, I have nothing to gain from anything I say here, agreed? So, when some dolt asks about Osiris or Horus or God-knows-what kind of nonsense, do I really need to spend two hours crafting an original responses when two clicks and 30 seconds later I can put solid Christian answers into the minds of those who are dying for lack of truth? I mean, be serious.

If I post William Lane Craig, they go crazy. If I mention Habermas & Licona, they turn off their minds. And even if I cite Bart Ehrman, they discount everything that I post. How do you handle such "anti-EVERYTHING-remotely-supportive-of-Christianity-prejudice"??????

So, I posted an article WITHOUT referencing the original author. Big whoop. People who would not have read the post otherwise DID, in fact, read it because they did not have the NAME of the actual author as a presuppositional roadblock to prevent them from doing so.

"Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down"...as the old song goes, Jenny. If I helped someone get past their own biases to hear what Licona had to say by posting it without mentioning his name, GOOD FOR THEM.

Quote:Skepticism and intelligence are not synonymous and many very intelligent people have blind spots. Newton wasted much time on alchemy and trying to figure out how many angels could sit on the head of a pin.  But he was brilliant.

I'm a bright cookie too.

Agreed. I'll hold out hope that someday you can make a firm resolution to follow to the indirect evidence in favor of Christianity as J. Warner Wallace did.

Why not read his book? Then we can discuss what you like and don't like about it more directly?
(August 20, 2015 at 10:07 pm)Iroscato Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:25 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Which, btw, is one of the top engineering schools in the United States with students from all over the world competing to get in.

So, maybe I'm not as stupid as you think.

[Image: ani_yup.gif]

Stupid comes in many forms - you being Exhibit A here.

[Image: whackado.gif][Image: takeoff.gif][Image: jrbirdman.gif][Image: egyptian.gif][Image: choocho.gif][Image: bluelite.gif]
If you're using Wallace's arguments, I don't see much of a point in Jenny reading the book. She's already read and criticized your arguments in other threads.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(August 20, 2015 at 10:21 pm)Pizza Wrote: If you're using Wallace's arguments, I don't see much of a point in Jenny reading the book. She's already read and criticized your arguments in other threads.

There's more to a book than my few posts can cover.
I can't believe you're still defending your plagiarism, Randy. It's rare we get people as intellectually dishonest as you around here. I mean, we definitely get our share, but you're above and beyond even the most contemptible.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(August 20, 2015 at 9:53 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(August 20, 2015 at 9:48 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Hardly.  Only that the school you went to, doesn't necessarily say all that much about you.  I doubt GT grads are more likely to be embezzlers, or that evangelicals are for that matter.

The alma mater does say one thing: some college grads ARE smarter than others. And the fact that some Christians went to really good schools suggests that not all Christians are stupid...a fact that is lost on the crowd here who didn't go to those same schools.

Just sayin'.

Maybe you were there for athletic abilities.  Georgia Tech has repeatedly violated the rules for using athletes who are not academically qualified:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2227377

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...-probation

Not everyone who attends a school is a good student.  Regardless of the quality of the school itself.

Also, your willingness to plagiarize might be due to your experiences in school:

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/200...s-ga-tech/

In the article, one may observe that being caught cheating does not get one expelled from Georgia Tech.  Great school alright!

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(August 20, 2015 at 10:30 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: I can't believe you're still defending your plagiarism, Randy. It's rare we get people as intellectually dishonest as you around here. I mean, we definitely get our share, but you're above and beyond even the most contemptible.

Right.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity The Joker 177 29970 December 3, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7603 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why Christianity violates the unity of God. Mystic 18 3177 September 11, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is christianity a "Blood Cult" Brakeman 26 9803 April 10, 2015 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Vox Populi
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7675 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Why Ancient Aliens is far more plausible than Christianity FreeTony 30 5318 July 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8808 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Why is Christianity false and Atheism true? savedwheat 362 105235 December 25, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Christianity Harms Society. Why I Mock Christians Yahweh 46 11791 December 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 19062 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)