Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 7:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the real reason creationists hate evolution?
RE: the real reason creationists hate evolution?
(October 4, 2015 at 1:40 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Does evolution, by itself, negate Christianity?

Well, the entire Catholic church seems comfortable with it. Can one logically square Christianity with evolution? Perhaps not but I personally don't like making that argument. I would rather have believers keep their fantasies and accept science rather than oppose science because they're afraid it will take away their security blanket. We have to constantly fend off creationist assaults on education. I would welcome having the moderate Christians on our side to help fight the crazies. I don't want to scare them back into their anti-science shell.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I think Christopher Hitchens put it best:

Quote:The very magnificence and variety of the process [of evolution], they now wish to say, argues for a directing and originating mind. In this way they choose to make him out to be a tinkerer, an approximator, and a blunderer, who took eons of time to fashion a few serviceable figures and heaped up a junkyard of scrap and failure meanwhile. Have they no more respect for the deity than that?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
As I recall - and it was a loooooonnngggg time ago ( fortunately) the church does buy into all that original sin, adam and eve horseshit so that jesus had to atone for it.  Stupidest story ever written, really.
God made man so man can write books about him.
Man got the books wrong.
It doesn't mean God isn't real.
Just our interpretation of him.
Any theist who agrees with this is an atheist or deist at best.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
my TL mother fucking DR post

They want to feel mother fucking special like someone created them like some type of good godly being
and the thing is their ego cannot handle reality and do not want to accept they aren't special and that they are
a advance species of ape.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(October 4, 2015 at 6:03 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: Can one logically square Christianity with evolution?
You'd be surprised what a little mental-gymnastics can achieve.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I think a lot of christians these days believe in evolution, even though they don't call it that, they call it "mutation", essentially it's evolution, there's usually some sort of qualifier like, evolution can't result in different species, only miner mutations....they just don't allow themselves to extrapolate that a little further to the realization that yes, we did evolve from monkeys to put it bluntly.

**edit, at least i did, i'm a recent "convert"....christians in my family i know believe this way.
Yeah, trying to put these artificial barriers on how much something can change over time is a way of pretending evolution doesn't really happen.

The Catholics seem to now fully accept evolution, but just say that it's somehow still magically created and guided by God. All the evidence points to a completely unguided process, and this is just assigning agency where there is none.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 4, 2015 at 1:40 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Any thoughts? Does evolution, by itself, negate Christianity?

No, silly. Tongue

Back when I was in the valley of the sun and those things sprouted like weeds, the vast majority of them I encountered were of the "comfy with Jesus" types who mostly were Christian because everybody else was. I don't see Christianity ever being totally negated. Some wise man once said, "ya can't reason yourself out of a position ya didn't reason yourself into."
(October 5, 2015 at 5:35 am)houseofcantor Wrote:
(October 4, 2015 at 1:40 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Any thoughts? Does evolution, by itself, negate Christianity?

No, silly.  Tongue

Back when I was in the valley of the sun and those things sprouted like weeds, the vast majority of them I encountered were of the "comfy with Jesus" types who mostly were Christian because everybody else was. I don't see Christianity ever being totally negated. Some wise man once said, "ya can't reason yourself out of a position ya didn't reason yourself into."

I love it.  Gotta remember that quote.  But houseofcantor . . . I did.  Reason myself out, that is.  I think a lot of folks here did as well.  Not deliberately for most of us, it's just that the facts started crowding out the dogma, you know?    Smile
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1324 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Xtians Will Hate This. Minimalist 34 3224 December 3, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17856 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4894 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 15789 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6279 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Propaganda Films and Hate Speech Astonished 41 13974 August 1, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5624 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things Rhondazvous 37 7209 October 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  hate the sin, love the sinner mcolafson 101 14716 September 5, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: LostLocke