Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 7:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
Having in-depth knowledge about nonsense is not an accomplishment.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 19, 2015 at 12:29 pm)houseofcantor Wrote:
(October 19, 2015 at 12:10 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: Argumentum ex culo.

Totally disappointed that that didn't mean "argument by a cunt."  Angry

You can take comfort in the thought that you've seen many arguments by many cunts around here.
(October 19, 2015 at 12:10 pm)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(October 19, 2015 at 11:19 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: [...]So using P for person, you get 1P + 1P + 1P = 3P   Which is what the doctrine of the Trinity states.  It also states that the 3 Persons = 1 God. They are separate and distinct individuals who can interact with each other, which are equally and fully of the same nature and substance of 1 God.

In other words:

1Man + 1Bear + 1Pig = 1Manbearpig

Clap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvr2Y61l5T4
And manbearpig must be stopped!
(October 19, 2015 at 12:29 pm)houseofcantor Wrote:
(October 19, 2015 at 12:10 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: Argumentum ex culo.

Totally disappointed that that didn't mean "argument by a cunt."  Angry

That would be argumentum per cuni.

Yes, "cunt" is a Latin word.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 19, 2015 at 12:06 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(October 18, 2015 at 11:04 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Is your issue that you do not understand the trinity, and that God is three persons in one God.  Or is it, that you do not believe in justice for evil?

No.   My issue is that vicarious redemption and scapegoating (whether voluntary or not) are evil and unjust...

Why?  I would be particularly curious of your answer, if you hold to a  subjective view of evil (morality) and justice, which seems to be prevalent here.

I would note also, that this can be a complex subject, if you want to delve into it.   There are different views on atonement and a number of passages to be taken into consideration.  They are also not all mutually exclusive.  For instance I don't believe that my Greek Orthodox friends are incorrect in promoting Christus Victor theory of atonement, but I don't think it removes the scriptures which talk about penal substitution either.

Just some things to keep in mind.... if you are thinking about this.

Jesus is the one who judges.
As God, Jesus is also the one offended against.
Jesus had to become man, and fulfill the requirements for High Priest, in order to stand for us and offer payment. 
Also my personal belief (although I have not vetted with others yet or seen commentary in this way) is that this is why Christ also needs to be our  Lord and King in order to represent us.
Baptism is presented as us dying and being raised with Christ.   (Romans 6 for instance, although this can be seen throughout the new testament).

And I'm sure there are other things I am missing, but if you are interested in discussing it, I am happy to do so.
(October 18, 2015 at 10:28 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Having just taken the quiz linked above and gotten 100% correct, I challenge Delicate to take the same quiz.

www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0105/Are-you-smarter-than-an-atheist-A-religious-quiz/When-does-the-Jewish-Sabbath-begin

I only got 81%.

In my defense, I really, really don't give any fucks about religion.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(October 18, 2015 at 9:14 pm)Delicate Wrote: I suppose any theist who has read this part of the forum has to chuckle at how terrible atheist critiques of theism are.

But when the laughter dies down, you're left with a troubling realization: There actually is a huge pool of people on this planet who call themselves atheists and post on the internet, but are less familiar with theism than toddlers with the inside of a quantum mechanics textbook.

Where does one go for actually informed atheistic critiques of religion? I'm feeling my brain atrophy after reading some of the threads here.

Here is my question. Have you ever spoken to an atheist one on one? Have you ever asked a direct question about the bible or what one knows? My guess is no because if you had this post would not have been made.

Of course there are atheists that have no clue about the bible just like there are Christians that have no clue that wearing mixed fabrics is just as big a SIN as adultry, touching a football, and their wonderful campaign against homsexuality (which is actually a mix up of the Greek translation of words but that is another story).

Your comment would be like me making a negative statement against Christians, which I refuse to do because I want everyone to find a place that brings them peace. The reason atheists are get irritated at Christians is because of statements like yours. Statements made without ever taking the time to get to know us. You want us to accept you but think it is ok to look down on us for no reason
When   you   understand  why   you   dismiss   all   the   other   possible   gods,   you  will understand why I dismiss yours. ~Stephen Roberts~
I got one wrong (faith alone).

Delicate: Why are you a shit n' runner?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 19, 2015 at 1:20 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I got one wrong (faith alone).

I actually got that one right.

A couple I got wrong because I was rushing through it (like the 10 Commandments one).  One was a term I never heard before, and another was me not knowing anything about Judaism.

Got all the Mormon ones right, though.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 9566 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 23629 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 14774 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11730 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5271 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 120372 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20892 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 16718 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 56396 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11641 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar