Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 6:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
RE: Why the "There are so many interpretations of the Bible" claim is confused
(October 26, 2015 at 2:41 am)Rhythm Wrote: It was bound to happen eventually Thump, some of these guys just need a nudge to put them over the edge quicker.

As I said in his other thread, I clearly credited him with more intelligence than was warranted.

(October 26, 2015 at 2:41 am)Losty Wrote: "So the bottom line is, when you're ready to drop the irrational anger and hate and finally come to God, who loves you, you have nothing to worry about."

Liar. If you are not baptized, your sins will not be washed away, and you will have no salvation. Wink

http://www.equip.org/article/baptism-theology/

But b-- but -- that's not a core tenet!!!11!!

Meh, check your trolldar drivers..see if they're up to date.  Tell you what disappoints me, this "differences that make no difference" thing is fascinating in it's own right.  You won;t find a preist who thinks that the differences between catholicsm nd protestantism make no difference.  That they aren't core.  What you will find, however, are strategists who realized that airing their dirty laundry to the voting bloc was counterproductive.  Isn't that an interesting narrative?  Nope, taboo..apparently.  Not only are there no real differences...we're not going to discuss how and when we decided that this was so......

Fucking revisionists, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah, I certainly gave him too much benefit of the doubt.

As for the no differences thing, that's exactly where I was going with my point about practices. Words written in a book mean nothing when the actions of men, all of whom claim to venerate said book, vary so widely.

At least we have the solace of knowing that he regards the WBC as fully Christian, because they adhere to the core tenets.

Until, of course, ole Delicate whips out his No True Scotsman card again.

Shock Thump, you're you again Shock

Heart welcome back, love
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Quote:Delicate
Baptism is not a core doctrine. People don't go to hell on the basis of their preferred method of baptism. And yes, this is after what's at stake for those who believe it.

Baptism is an integral component of salvation by grace, which is a core doctrine.

The pathway to salvation would be a core doctrine, to the extent that there are people who hold a view that might cause them to lose their salvation.

Such as not believing water immersion is a requirement for salvation? Keep in mind there are many Christians who do not consider water baptism to be an optional expression. Instead, it's believed to be the very mechanism by which the baptism of the Holy Spirit is recognized.

These differences are in fact relevant, and if an atheist wants to assert that there is soooo mucchhhhhh doctrinal diversity over this issue, my response would be "Well asserted. Now where's the evidence?"

Okay. Here's John 3:5. Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

And here are two examples of the diversity regarding this issue:
http://www.faithfacts.org/world-religion...-salvation
https://www.apologeticspress.org/APConte...ticle=2748

I might also stroke my chin and twirl my invisible moustache, but only because that's a peripheral doctrinal practise on my part.

As well as being oblivious to known facts and in very deep denial. 

You remind me of a former forum member who constantly attempted to control the dialogue on this forum, in an effort to follow his formulated apologetics spiel to the letter.
I guess that's why people never reply when I ask why I should care about any of it at all. Not on their script.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I'm just astounded that this guy is enough of an asshole to think

1) That I don't know what a conditional or qualified statement is, or how to respond to it (especially since I DID respond - that's what the phrase "even if Christianity is true" means, asshole), and

2) That I cannot be angry at the adherents of a religion legitimately, and still have unemotional and unrelated reasons for rejecting the beliefs of those adherents.

I am a pretty calm and peaceful person, in general... at least, compared to the norm for males in my culture. That said, I'd have a hard time not choking a person who said some ignorance-plus-arrogance combination like that to me in person. Seriously, I'm not sure I could maintain control if one of these smug assholes ever whips out that "look at the Soviet Union, North Korea or Communist China to see what kind of view you're endorsing" bullshit in person. I would very likely stop bashing their skull into the table-top while screaming "ATHEISM AND COMMUNISM ARE NOT THE SAME THING YOU FUCKING NUMBSKULL!!!", over and over, only when pulled off the idiot by police.

[Image: game-of-thrones-slaptumblr.gif]
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 7, 2015 at 7:52 am)Ben Davis Wrote:
(October 6, 2015 at 11:51 pm)Delicate Wrote:

On top of the issue of 'errancy' in the bible, your position ignores the fact that many of those groups, based on different interpretations, have a history of violence towards others, using the interpretations as a pretext for that violence. These are not petty or trivial matters of distinction; people have died over them. These are not 'unified' groups, these are independently functioning cells of differing belief, not to be glossed over in an apologetic.

Care to put a number on that? Maybe one that cannot otherwise be more accurately attributed to geopolitical disputes?
(October 26, 2015 at 3:23 am)Losty Wrote: Shock Thump, you're you again Shock

Heart welcome back, love

Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One God versus many T.J. 42 3228 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7228 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Serious] Freemasons: why is there such a negative view of this group? GODZILLA 8 1448 February 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3951 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7764 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15840 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What gives a religion the right to claim their fantasy is correct and the rest false? Casca 62 6735 November 20, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 3067 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6245 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  why there are homosexuals lions? truth search 24 3725 December 22, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus