Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion
RE: Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion
(November 1, 2015 at 12:52 am)Delicate Wrote:
(November 1, 2015 at 12:46 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote: False. Data from sources like this survey from the Pew forum on Religious Religion and Public Life consistently show that, in general, atheists and agnostics are better informed about religion(s) than anyone else.

I wouldn't apply the results of a broad survey on the narrow slice of this forum's population. That's like taking a survey of the nation's IQ, and inferring that the Kardashians must be on par.

ROFLOL

You just can't handle that the data doesn't support your facile criticisms of atheists.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
You know, Robvalue, I have been thinking about what you wrote, there, which Dr.Fuzzy was nice enough to quote for us.

I think they find this asshole "convincing" because his arguments are done from that authoritarian, "I am right and if you don't agree then you don't even deserve to know why I'm right" school of thought. They do love their authoritarianism!

I also think this is why they spend so much time and effort looking for an authoritarian equivalent in atheist circles. That we're each individual thinkers must drive them bugnuts! They pick out some of the more prominent/popular among us and try to label them "Atheist Clergy", just as they try to put a religious tag on us, "The New Atheists", because then it suits their authoritarian mindset. They think that they have then "explained" atheism (in a way that is comfortable to their understanding of the world, and the importance of hierarchy, in that worldview), and can safely dismiss it from thought. The problem is, they're completely wrong.

My favorite irony of this sort is when some fundy here showed a picture of the Pope speaking in Washington D.C. to a crowd of tens of thousands, then a picture of Dawkins speaking to perhaps 8,000 atheists, and tried to show us that our "prophet" has failed. Except not one of us did anything but shrug, not caring in the slightest what happens to Dawkins or his speeches, because we're just not built that way.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

On a side note, WTF is a "New Atheist" supposed to be, really? Is there any way in which the bomb-throwing of guys like Hitchens and Dawkins is distinguishable from an "old atheist" who delighted in torturing the common believers with THINKING, like, say, Robert G. Ingersoll?
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Ten pages in response of provocative trolling?

Wow, just wow. I certainly don't feel the need to adress any of that, since it's coming from an orifice that usually serves an entirely different purpose.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
How does one even tries a decent conversation with a person that starts a conversation saying "you are all intellectualy bankrupt!"?

The best thing I have to say is short & thick:

Go blow god out of your ass. That is what it is, a fart of smelly hot air. I do not need to try to understand your fantasies and delusions.
W
(November 1, 2015 at 2:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Drippy and Deli.  What a pair of numbskulls.  Fucking "jesus" is welcome to followers like you.

[Image: why-are-so-many-of-my-followers-such-idi...e88b06b870]

Because I am not god?
(November 1, 2015 at 2:35 pm)Spooky Wrote:
(October 31, 2015 at 11:54 pm)Delicate Wrote: Article: The New Philistinism

The New Atheist writers are supremely self-confident in their ability to dispatch opponents with a sarcastic quip or two. And they show no evidence whatsoever of knowing what they are talking about.

Great article. Worth reading to get an idea of what a joke so many atheist clergy are.

WTF is an "Atheist Clergy"?

Interesting the worst smear theists can throw is "you are just like us".
(November 1, 2015 at 3:21 pm)Chuck Wrote: Interesting the worst smear theists can throw is "you are just like us".

I'm always amazed when I get that one in evolution-vs-Creationism debates... "Well we both have opinions."

Um, mine is backed up by 150 years of rigorous scientific testing and peer review. But do you really think that it elevates your position to say that yours is no better than mine, because we "both have opinions"!?!

Calling evolution "an opinion" would be the end of the discussion for me.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(November 1, 2015 at 12:54 am)Delicate Wrote: Nonsense as in "what he says offends my dogma and makes me feel emotional booboos" or nonsense as in "I can point to something factually incorrect in his essay"?

... says the guy who feels so offended by atheists that he is compelled to post on an atheist forum.

Your lack of introspection is stunning.

You've not struck me as terribly insightful, and so your opinion on my lack of faith carries little weight with me.

Put shortly, I don't care what you think, because your thinking is vapid. Not to mention your obvious fear of presenting your own beliefs for critique.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 9874 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11753 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion? Delicate 860 160891 January 19, 2016 at 12:03 am
Last Post: IATIA
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5323 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Criticizing Islam is racist? Lemonvariable72 128 19931 November 5, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20907 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 56474 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11648 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Thiests: This how atheists see religion Gooders1002 22 8714 May 5, 2013 at 5:35 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Atheists are pagan worshipers who started another religion. bjhulk 42 28442 February 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Calmedady