Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 21, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, Atheism is a Religion
RE: Yes, Atheism is a Religion
(December 14, 2015 at 5:20 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(December 14, 2015 at 5:11 pm)Kingpin Wrote: hey now, don't lump us all in one group.  I'm sure many will attest that this is one theist who on multiple occasions has stood up for the atheists on this topic.  Atheism by definition is not a religion.  At best it can be argued to be a belief but only in reference to Gnostic Atheism.  As it has no practices, tenets or structure it is not a religion but merely a proclamation on a single topic.  It can fall under the classification of a worldview, but that is not the same thing as a religion.

You're right.  But you can't deny that the "atheism is a religion" canard isn't a ploy often used by some theists.

For what it's worth, you and CL are among the more reasonable theists we have here, and your lack of pretense is refreshing.

No doubt there and I will always admit as much and call it for what it is.  Its a ploy to put both sides on equal ground by using very broad strokes, but when you cut down to the details, they are not comparable.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
(December 14, 2015 at 5:14 pm)Cato Wrote:
(December 14, 2015 at 5:08 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Hm?

Why are you lumping the OP in with us? She is agnostic/open minded as far as I can tell. Not a theist.

Psst, you dropped this...

[Image: crack-pipe.jpg]

Her religious views say "no idea". To me, this sounds more agnostic than anything else. If you ask someone if they believe in God and they say "I don't know", you wouldn't consider them a theist.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 14, 2015 at 5:17 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(December 14, 2015 at 5:08 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Hm?

Why are you lumping the OP in with us? She is agnostic/open minded as far as I can tell. Not a theist.

We've had a few members recently who have portrayed themselves as open-minded seekers, whose every post reeks of a Christian stalking horse.  Delicate struck me as one of these almost from the start.

Ah, gotcha.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 14, 2015 at 5:29 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Her religious views say "no idea". To me, this sounds more agnostic than anything else. If you ask someone if they believe in God and they say "I don't know", you wouldn't consider them a theist.

Her posting history here tells a far different tale.
@Catholic_Lady

That definition is used in a different context than the one the OP is describing. 

For example, someone might "religiously follow football", but that's not the same as treating football as an actual religion, is it? You're comparing an apple and an orange here. By that kind of logic, anything can be a religion. Political parties are a religion. Donating to charity is a religion. Raising a child is a religion. Sports is a religion. Bike-riding is a religion. Just because you see something as important or you get into debates about it or you care about it, doesn't automatically make it religious as in the same context as actual religion. Those definitions are separated for a reason. It is to separate their uses in our society. Religion (as in religious beliefs like Christianity or Catholicism) is under the first definition. And so to say that atheism is a religion in the same way, it must be proven to fall under the first defintion as well. Or else you are not making an accurate comparison.
I don't mean to be the one comparing anything. Just pointing out how she must have gotten that definition.

I agree, atheism is merely the disbelief in God and that is not a religion. However, there are atheists out there who certainly treat it like it is meant to be.

-walsh
(December 14, 2015 at 4:49 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I think this can be true for some atheists, but not all.

How many times must it be said - what a person thinks is largely irrelevant. What they can demonstrate is all that matters.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 14, 2015 at 5:06 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Poor theists. They know deep down they don't have the goods to demonstrate that any of their horseshit is true, so they resort to painting atheists with the same brush as themselves to suggest a false equivalency. It must suck to have a faith system that practically requires dishonesty.

"I know you are, but what am I?" didn't cut it on the playground. It doesn't work any better here.

Yep I agree, but it is also why I warn atheists not to go around saying "When we become the majority(which may or may not happen) we will treat you better".

A label does not automatically determine if the individual will be violent or non violent, cruel or compassionate. We still are ultimately the same species. I only agree that religion takes our human behaviors, both good and bad, and distorts them into a comic book battle between Superman vs Lex Luther.

Atheist are not super human either, we don't have magic powers or special privilege.
(December 14, 2015 at 6:00 pm)Vincent Wrote: @Catholic_Lady

That definition is used in a different context than the one the OP is describing. 

For example, someone might "religiously follow football", but that's not the same as treating football as an actual religion, is it? You're comparing an apple and an orange here. By that kind of logic, anything can be a religion. Political parties are a religion. Donating to charity is a religion. Raising a child is a religion. Sports is a religion. Bike-riding is a religion. Just because you see something as important or you get into debates about it or you care about it, doesn't automatically make it religious as in the same context as actual religion. Those definitions are separated for a reason. It is to separate their uses in our society. Religion (as in religious beliefs like Christianity or Catholicism) is under the first definition. And so to say that atheism is a religion in the same way, it must be proven to fall under the first defintion as well. Or else you are not making an accurate comparison.

And this is where the Dolphinetics comes into play.

"Atheism is a religion just as much as any other!"
"No it's not, for all these reasons."
"But the dictionary says a religion can be 'A pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.' "
"Well, by that token everything's a religion."
"Aha - gotcha! So you agree that atheism is a religion!"
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 14, 2015 at 6:09 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I don't mean to be the one comparing anything. Just pointing out how she must have gotten that definition.

Yea, I know. It's a common mistake made by some people that I wanted to expose. 

And yes, there are atheists out there who are assholes about their beliefs and rub it in people's faces like street preachers. Thankfully the majority of us aren't like that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5423 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11951 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4673 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 25023 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 6226 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8743 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27881 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3318 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4732 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Margaret Atwood claims atheism is a religion Foxaèr 36 10040 July 11, 2015 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Metis