Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 24, 2024, 8:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yes, Atheism is a Religion
RE: Yes, Atheism is a Religion
(December 17, 2015 at 7:31 pm)Reflex Wrote: Ever hear the saying, "Nothing is harder for the fish to see than the water in which it swims"?

False equivalency. *Yawn*

That saying doesn't mean nearly as much as theists think it means.
(December 17, 2015 at 7:31 pm)Reflex Wrote: Ever hear the saying, "Nothing is harder for the fish to see than the water in which it swims"?

Yeah.

Just another way for theists to claim they have 'special knowledge', that us atheists don't.

You get to believe you are superior, because you have a special method to detect something that is not detectable to 'inferior atheists'.  Yet, you and your ilk have never been able to demonstrate that you are detecting something that actually exists.

Seems pretty indistinguishable to gullibility to me.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

I wouldn't let you pave my driveway with a truckload of shit either, and it isn't because I'm dumb or blind!
Mr. Hanky loves you!
I love it. All the numerous responses we gave to reflex and that's what he comes back with. It must be code for "I'm too illiterate to understand what any of you wrote so I'll respond with this instead"
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(December 17, 2015 at 8:25 pm)Judi Lynn Wrote: I love it. All the numerous responses we gave to reflex and that's what he comes back with. It must be code for "I'm too illiterate to understand what any of you wrote so I'll respond with this instead"

It's just standard theistic claptrap. "You disagree with me, and it's impossible that this is because of the arguments you've made, because I cannot be wrong. Therefore, there must be something wrong with you as a person that prevents you from seeing how right I am." Ad hominems, designed to protect a presupposed conclusion of their own infallibility.

Anything to avoid engaging with the idea that they might not be immediately right, all of the time. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(December 17, 2015 at 8:34 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(December 17, 2015 at 8:25 pm)Judi Lynn Wrote: I love it. All the numerous responses we gave to reflex and that's what he comes back with. It must be code for "I'm too illiterate to understand what any of you wrote so I'll respond with this instead"

It's just standard theistic claptrap. "You disagree with me, and it's impossible that this is because of the arguments you've made, because I cannot be wrong. Therefore, there must be something wrong with you as a person that prevents you from seeing how right I am." Ad hominems, designed to protect a presupposed conclusion of their own infallibility.

Anything to avoid engaging with the idea that they might not be immediately right, all of the time.  Rolleyes

Professionals with credentials spanning the mental health field (such as Sam Harris and Steven Pinker) stop short of calling this insanity, but I have only suspected that they are avoiding a potentially disastrous controversy. This isn't just delusional, as Dawkins said, it's fucking narcissism too.
Mr. Hanky loves you!

Yes. The analogy being that some theists are so submersed in their religion that they cannot perceive of the broader world of which religion is only a part. It is inconceivable for this type of theist to fathom existence outside religion, which to them permeates everything. The atheist is the human that understands the fish and the limitations of its environment.
I've only met a couple of atheists in my life who've actually read On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection.

This surprised me to discover, since I read it my sophomore year of studying biology, but it was only to be read as a historical footnote, since Darwin's insights are fascinating, given what he didn't know (no one did) about genetics, physics, and chemistry. We read it because we're surprised that any of it turned out to be correct, after more modern methods of testing the ideas in the Theory of Evolution were developed. For instance, rapid DNA scanning began to be possible after the development (by a Christian) of the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), and this could very well have turned everything we thought we knew about evolution on its head, completely disproving the theory's model and forcing a complete rewrite of all biological sciences... and yet, it did exactly the opposite, providing hard proof of ideas which were harder to prove, before then. There is no longer any question in any serious scientist's mind about the fact of evolution.

Anyone who tells you biologists consider Origin to be a sacred text is lying to you. It's even funnier to accuse atheists in general of that.

The only reason atheists commonly accept the findings of biologists on this subject is that we have no reason not to accept it, no pre-formed ideas that cause us to reject the findings of research on the subject. Christians, on the other hand, flipped out over radical, "anti-Biblical" ideas like the Heliocentric model of the solar system and the wild notion that the starts were suns like ours which might have beings like us on the planets around them (they killed a guy over that one).

So really, what you're doing is projecting your veneration of a text (what I call "Bible Idolatry") onto us. Unfortunately for you, the shoe does not fit. Check your prejudices, pal.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Accidental post
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(December 15, 2015 at 11:51 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
Delicate Wrote:Simply put, this is the assertion I want to see substantiated.

Lol, let me get this straight -- you want me to show you evidence of no evidence?

I still have not received an answer to this post. Is the OP so delicate that he cannot address a simple question?

Delicate: exactly what would you consider a satisfactory substantiation to your desire? How can I demonstrate to you my dissatisfaction with your evidence, when you've provided none to begin with? How can I demonstrate my lack of faith to you?

More importantly, why should I give two shits rubbed together what you want? You believe in your god. That's great -- go on and live your little life in a dream. I don't care. I'm not out to change your mind. You don't see me logging into Christian websites haranguing people about how their faith is wrong. The fact that you feel the need to come here to lecture us tells me that you think your god needs your personal help. Now, when I was a Christian, humility was a key aspect of my faith. It was ingrained in me. What in the world makes you so special that you've come here to be the mouthpiece of your god?

Please, present your CV. I want to see your qualifications for speaking for the Creator of the Universe -- beyond being an insufferable twat, which seems naturally to be part of the job.

(December 17, 2015 at 2:35 pm)Pandæmonium Wrote: A lot of people support their football teams. Some may even pray that they do well, or pray to them. It's debatable as to whether that makes it a religion.

Down here in Texas, football is religion. Real football, I mean, not that sissy shorts-wearin' stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5431 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11957 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4697 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 25035 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 6226 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8750 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27905 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3318 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4732 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Margaret Atwood claims atheism is a religion Foxaèr 36 10042 July 11, 2015 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Metis