Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 6:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Episode VII (spoilers)
RE: Episode VII (spoilers)
(January 5, 2016 at 11:43 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(January 5, 2016 at 11:17 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Does everyone forget he was terribly wounded during the lightsaber battle?

He had also just offed his father, which should have ended his being torn by the light side and cemented his path to the dark side.  He would have been more powerful than ever.  Shouldn't a blaster wound to the abdomen be a minor annoyance when your body is surging with the power you feel from finally embracing the dark side fully?

something he struggled to do. The destruction of his Father benfitted Snoke and his control over Kylo more so than ben.
(January 5, 2016 at 1:26 pm)Drich Wrote: ..and just who was kylo supposed to be sparing with to make him such a light saber master? Not to point out the obvious but look at the grace and elegant use of the lightsaber fights between obi and vader in E3 verse, anyone in this movie. They are all hacks! kylo has one or two levels of expertise above the either finn or rey. Rey has one lunge/stabbing move she tries 3 different times, which could easily be exploited by a trained swordsman. it obvious kylo is no vader with a light saber. His 'strength' is obviously the use of the force.

which the force requires concentration to use. something hard to do with a big hole in your side

Meh. That explanation is as unsatisfactory to me as the others.

Kylo trained under Luke Skywalker. Surely that means he's proficient with a lightsaber, correct?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(January 5, 2016 at 2:00 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(January 5, 2016 at 1:26 pm)Drich Wrote: ..and just who was kylo supposed to be sparing with to make him such a light saber master? Not to point out the obvious but look at the grace and elegant use of the lightsaber fights between obi and vader in E3 verse, anyone in this movie. They are all hacks! kylo has one or two levels of expertise above the either finn or rey. Rey has one lunge/stabbing move she tries 3 different times, which could easily be exploited by a trained swordsman. it obvious kylo is no vader with a light saber. His 'strength' is obviously the use of the force.

which the force requires concentration to use. something hard to do with a big hole in your side

Meh.  That explanation is as unsatisfactory to me as the others.  

Kylo trained under Luke Skywalker.  Surely that means he's proficient with a lightsaber, correct?

Who taught Luke?
Yoda? Obi Wan? pfff LOL!
(January 5, 2016 at 1:18 pm)Drich Wrote:
(January 2, 2016 at 2:36 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: It's apparently really *really* important to Anomalo and Aractus that the convince us that this movie is really awful. Why else would they still be here pages and pages in trying to tell us why we're wrong when we say anything good about it at all?

And now you know my plite.

Some people simply like to argue. If you say the sky is blue they will tell you it is brown. their is rarely a legitimate reason behind it out side of simply being different.

Apples and oranges, Drich: Whether one enjoyed TFA or not isn't a matter of disputing facts, it's a matter of subjective tastes we all have in the movies we enjoy.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(January 5, 2016 at 3:03 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(January 5, 2016 at 2:00 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Meh.  That explanation is as unsatisfactory to me as the others.  

Kylo trained under Luke Skywalker.  Surely that means he's proficient with a lightsaber, correct?

Who taught Luke?
Yoda? Obi Wan? pfff LOL!

Ah, but did Luke make Kylo ren run around and do back flips while carrying Luke on his back, and do a hand stand while balancing Luke in his feet while also lifting a rock with telekinesis? Like yoda did to Luke, No? No wonder Kylo ren is no good. No practice in wax on, wax off.
(January 5, 2016 at 1:26 pm)Drich Wrote:
(January 5, 2016 at 10:28 am)Faith No More Wrote: Yeah, but it just wasn't believable that Kylo Ren was a total badass for the entire movie until he gets into a lightsaber fight with a woman that has just discovered she even has Force powers.  He was able to break Poe's will with the force, but then he struggles in a lightsaber fight against a stormtrooper and a noob?  I'm with Anomalocaris on this one.  It just wasn't consistent and left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

..and just who was kylo supposed to be sparing with to make him such a light saber master? Not to point out the obvious but look at the grace and elegant use of the lightsaber fights between obi and vader in E3 verse, anyone in this movie. They are all hacks! kylo has one or two levels of expertise above the either finn or rey. Rey has one lunge/stabbing move she tries 3 different times, which could easily be exploited by a trained swordsman. it obvious kylo is no vader with a light saber. His 'strength' is obviously the use of the force.

So he couldn't just use the force to knock Rey back on her ass or slam her into another tree like he already just did once about two minutes ago with the same big hole on his side?   Based on episold 1-3 Jedi in training use that maneuver a lot while fighting with light saber.   Or did the miticlorians all drain out with the few drops of blood he shed in the intervening 2 minutes?
(January 5, 2016 at 12:42 pm)pool Wrote: Are you kidding me?
Imagine if she did get beat up by him in that duel.
Can you imagine how the audience would react to a chick getting beat up in the screen?... People would be pissed.. Yeah, explains a lot.

What the fuck are you even talking about. Go take your fake anti-feminist arguments to some other shitcan where people actually care about them.

FNM, "consistency" is apparently relative to viewers of movies (or readers of books). Humans are not consistent, and Kylo is human. He's what happens when someone with daddy and anger issues grows up with a lot of power. He's in control one moment, and not the next, and they all make sense. When he hopped onto Jakku, he was ready for battle. He didn't want to kill Rey - he was fascinated by her from the beginning and wanted to train her. He's not going to just "end" her. I don't think anyone sold him as a bad ass. He's an over-emotional dork with powers too big for his britches.

I mean, really, how the fuck do you think Trump exists.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Just going to leave this Ralph Waldo Emerson quote here:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
(January 5, 2016 at 5:33 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(January 5, 2016 at 12:42 pm)pool Wrote: Are you kidding me?
Imagine if she did get beat up by him in that duel.
Can you imagine how the audience would react to a chick getting beat up in the screen?... People would be pissed.. Yeah, explains a lot.

What the fuck are you even talking about. Go take your fake anti-feminist arguments to some other shitcan where people actually care about them.

FNM, "consistency" is apparently relative to viewers of movies (or readers of books). Humans are not consistent, and Kylo is human. He's what happens when someone with daddy and anger issues grows up with a lot of power. He's in control one moment, and not the next, and they all make sense. When he hopped onto Jakku, he was ready for battle. He didn't want to kill Rey - he was fascinated by her from the beginning and wanted to train her. He's not going to just "end" her. I don't think anyone sold him as a bad ass. He's an over-emotional dork with powers too big for his britches.

I mean, really, how the fuck do you think Trump exists.

I would think at this stage of the story arc, it would be better for her to come up with some clever and unexpected way, maybe derived from all the times she had to fend for herself in jakku, to use her new, barely found, powers to escape the powerful but somewhat conceited menace of Kylo ren and leave him bashing his head against trees in frustration, than to implausibly beat him in brute force fight at this point.

So as it is, Episold 8 would have much less drama now that Rey has already beaten ren.    it seems the next two movie would be about a race to see whether Rey can learn faster from Luke than ren can from snoke, since ren and Rey seem more or less equal at the moment.

A much better story would be Kylo ren had a big advantage, and Rey had to work her ass off during the next two movie to overcome the gap and eventually beat both Kylo and snoke face to face during the climax of the third movie.

to make the story really dramatic, snoke should be more powerful than Luke, and Luke should first die, but after more or less completing Rey's training, before Rey finally faces Kylo ren and Snoke in the climax of the trilogy, just like obiwan and yoda had to die before Luke faced the emperor and Vader.   It completes the passing of the torch and get the new generation out from under the shadow of the last.
When you get a job writing scripts, you can tell the story your way.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not sure where to post this old episode of "Alice" Brian37 14 856 June 5, 2021 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 368 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 69371 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5131 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 765 64133 August 15, 2016 at 4:45 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Game of Thrones Season 5 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 588 96916 May 13, 2016 at 1:48 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Superman versus Batman -- SPOILERS! Jehanne 3 929 April 16, 2016 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Vikings Discussion (Possible Spoilers) Jericho 10 2268 May 29, 2015 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Epsoide vii and Kevin smith Drich 8 1806 November 16, 2014 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Alex K
Tongue THIS is a "manic episode" My imaginary friend is GOD 2 957 April 15, 2014 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: max-greece