Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 7:35 pm

Poll: Are you an antitheist?
This poll is closed.
Yes
52.78%
19 52.78%
No
47.22%
17 47.22%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antitheism
RE: Antitheism
(February 3, 2016 at 11:55 am)paulpablo Wrote: I don't oppose the belief in God in itself.
If someone tells me they believe in god I don't have much to oppose that argument with, I don't believe you can prove God exists or doesn't exist.  I can't disprove that I'm God.  
What I oppose is the arguments that usually follow on relating to the belief in God.  Numerology, miracles and so on.
For example I believe in God because the Quran is perfect, numerology, I saw God when I took acid once, The bible is nice and so on.

Actually, you don't know whether you have something to oppose that argument with or not, as prior to getting an unambiguous definition of God you don't know whether it's a falsiable claim or not that is about to be made.

But irregardless of that, as I understand it, being an antitheist describes one who is opposed to the arguments that usually follow on relating to the belief in God, as per your scenario. I'm not trying to slander you, as some have claimed that I am when doing something like this, I am merely explaining to you how I understand the definition of antitheist. If you still don't choose to identify as one even if you accept my definition of the word that I can perfectly understand, but my understanding of language in this regard doesn't allow me to consider you anything but an antitheist, since I don't think that one chooses what one can be described as.
(emphasis added for quoted bit)
(February 3, 2016 at 11:44 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 11:37 am)Heat Wrote: You can make false definitions all you want, but don't you dare blatantly fucking lie and not expect to be called out on it.

Google those definitions. I didn't lie.
I did, that's why I'm calling you out as a liar. You just finished claiming theism was a religion, and that's an accurate definition? Go fuck yourself.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
(February 3, 2016 at 12:07 pm)Heat Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 11:44 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Google those definitions. I didn't lie.
I did, that's why I'm calling you out as a liar. You just finished claiming theism was a religion, and that's an accurate definition? Go fuck yourself.

I never said theism was a religion.
(February 3, 2016 at 12:07 pm)Heat Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 11:44 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Google those definitions. I didn't lie.
I did, that's why I'm calling you out as a liar. 

I don't think you did. Try simply googling theism definition, religion definition and opposition definition. These are the words I used.
As to the OP, I don't believe in a god and I think religion is a net negative on society and am active in efforts to push back against it, so yes, I'm an anti-theist.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(February 3, 2016 at 5:35 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 5:28 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Without the religious institutions and observances, the belief in the gods wouldn't make any sense.

Which came first, in your mind?

You're assuming he has a mind.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(February 3, 2016 at 5:57 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 5:45 am)MTL Wrote: (bold, mine)

That's what I'm calling "Religion".

Sure, you can make up your own definitions of words. You can do that.

Or, you can use the definitions we already have. The word you're looking for here is proselytization. Don't let illiteracy and laziness make you think you're a linguist. You're not.

Oh... That is rich coming from you EP.
(February 3, 2016 at 7:47 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: failed post. Starting over.

How is this one any different from all the others?!?
(February 3, 2016 at 6:27 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: That you, of all people, would use that incredibly flawed, biased and unprofessional source of information to correct me is simply ridiculous.

We're not in a formal or professional setting, and I'm certainly not going to spend much time on someone like you, who cannot see anything outside of his thinking as being anything worthy of thinking.

But since you're obviously intent on being deliberately obtuse:

Quote:Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures. Compare with deism.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...ish/theism

I call your attention to the second denotation:

Quote:1 The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods:

1.1 A particular system of faith and worship:

1.2 A pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance:
consumerism is the new religion
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...h/religion

So you see, you may well think I'm wrong -- but I'm not.

Now, go play in the traffic, child. The adults here are trying to have a conversation.

(February 3, 2016 at 10:35 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 10:33 am)Rhythm Wrote: I find your definitions to be self serving and non-representative.

These are not my definitions. These are definitions I find in dictionaries.

... suitably pruned so that you don't have to consider any other view but your own ...

(February 3, 2016 at 7:47 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: failed post. Starting over.

(February 3, 2016 at 8:47 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Once again, failed post. Starting over...
Wtf...

lol, you're trying to figure out how I know the software's behavior, and you can't even figure out how to post.

I don't know why I bother giving a dolt like you any attention at all.

(February 3, 2016 at 10:27 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 3, 2016 at 10:22 am)Rhythm Wrote: No it isn't, as you've been shown in this thread time and time again..by having people link you the definitions.

If -you- define theism as a religion personally (and that's fine) then ofc there can be no theism without religion, it would be tautology.

Religion - the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Theism -belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.

How is the second definition not included in the first?

It is not as a religion that theism is defined as, but as a form of religion.

You've conveniently left out the other denotations of religion.

What a dishonest asshole.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12709 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Antitheism Werewolff 21 4759 March 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: NoMoreFaith