Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 8:29 am

Poll: Did Jesus of Nazareth exist as an historical person?
This poll is closed.
Yes, absolutely; like Julius Caesar.
18.03%
11 18.03%
Probably.
19.67%
12 19.67%
Unknown.
24.59%
15 24.59%
Not probably.
19.67%
12 19.67%
Definitively not.
18.03%
11 18.03%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Jesus exist?
RE: Did Jesus exist?
It's not even remotely about sharing.  That's as good a lesson to take from it as any, though, I suppose.  The stories are about a divine miracle, a theologically pregnant divine miracle.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 8, 2016 at 1:07 am)Rhythm Wrote: It's not even remotely about sharing.  That's as good a lesson to take from it as any, though, I suppose.  The stories are about a divine miracle, a theologically pregnant divine miracle.
Don't forget about the Jewish custom of hospitality and of offering strangers food when they came visiting.  Just because the crowd was in the wilderness far from home did not excuse them from the obligation of hospitality.  They had also been told to love their neighbors.  Sharing food is one expression of loving one's neighbors.
I may have drawn the comparison here before, but it bears repeating:  Jesus of Nazareth (or Bethlehem, the records are muddled) was an historical personage in precisely the same way as was Arthur of Briton.  In the first case, it seems highly unlikely that there wasn't an itinerant preacher stirring up people in 1st century Palestine and getting in trouble with the local cops.  In the second, the idea of a Romanized British warlord going about thumping Saxon invaders seems reasonable enough.

But you've got about as much chance discovering anything about an historical Jesus by reading the Gospel narrative as you have of learning anything useful about 'King' Arthur by reading Geoffrey of Monmouth or Thomas Malory.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
32 pages later and people still don't understand what constitutes evidence in historiography...

Oh sorry, I was supposed to be done with this thread. I'll see my way back out.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
No ones having trouble accepting that Aegon.  If this is the evidence, then it isn't good enough to determine who or if jesus was.  You've accepted a reduced narrative no more or less fictive, no more or less historical than the mythical christ narrative out of which we diced it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What is and isn't good evidence is still a matter of opinion, to some degree. There's no objective test. History is always a matter of probabilities.

Historians are great for identifying such things as dates, authenticity, writing styles, and so on. They don't get to just point at a narrative and say "That happened". Their reasoning still has to be valid.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
@Rhythm

I think you/they are having trouble. You can't accept the idea that fact can come from an ancient fictitious account. But when given examples of other people generally accepted as existing by the exact same standard of evidence, it's met with "It doesn't matter, we're talking about Jesus." But it does matter, because it proves that we have the same standard of evidence as them yet they're accepted as existing. So what's different about Jesus? Absolutely nothing. Why are mythicists willing to agree other ancient historical figures existed but not Jesus? It's because he's supposed to be special, right? Ignore that. That's not important at all. Looking at it from a purely historical, objective standpoint, treating him like any other ancient historical figure, there's no reason to doubt his existence in general. That is all I'm saying.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is laughably fictional, but it's agreed Gilgamesh was an actual king. There are no contemporary sources about the Second Punic War, but we know most of what happened from later accounts and it's those later accounts that talk about Hannibal, but it's agreed Hannibal was the Carthage military leader. So...there are no true contemporary sources about Jesus, and the Gospels contain a large amount of fiction, but guess what? Just like Gilgamesh and just like Hannibal, it is agreed: Jesus was a real person.

I think you have more of a problem with the way historians analyze things. Fine. Be mad at historians. But don't shoot the messenger. I've said it time and time again, history is not a hard science. It seems I haven't said it enough.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(February 8, 2016 at 12:28 pm)Aegon Wrote: 32 pages later and people still don't understand what constitutes evidence in historiography...

Oh sorry, I was supposed to be done with this thread. I'll see my way back out.

*shrug* I'm an historian by education and training (if not by profession).

I'm concerned with the evidence present in history, not historiography.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
According to the Enc. Britannica:

Quote: Historiography, the writing of history, especially the writing of history based on the critical examination of sources, the selection of particular details from the authentic materials in those sources, and the synthesis of those details into a narrative that stands the test of critical examination.

And if you try to do that with this gospel shit the jesus freaks lose their minds!
(January 27, 2016 at 8:15 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Was Jesus of Nazareth an historical person?  I voted for the first option, "Yes, absolutely."

No, he did not. The Romans were apt census takers, and there had been an upstart blaspheming their polytheistic traditions you would have seen out side the bible, during the alleged period the bible claims, evidence of his existence. No contemporary evidence exists outside the bible during the claimed existence. The gospels were written after the fact and the real authors are unknown, and are also second hand hearsay. Tactus and Josephus don't count.

Now having said that, even if we found the bones of a man named Jesus and extracted DNA and proved he existed, he still would have been a mere man who managed to convince others to start a new religion. There still is no such thing as magic babies with super powers, and humans do not survive the death story as the bible would have you believe.

A movement did happen otherwise Christianity would not exist today. But so what, all that means is a group of people got tired of the old ways and took stories from old traditions and started a new religion based on that. 

There are newer attempts by "archaeologists" whom are really not objective, but apologists, who point to grave sites with family names on them. But since Joseph and Mary were common names, that is meaningless, and still even if, that would not make the claim of a baby being born without a second set of DNA true, much less a being that goes through it's entire life preforming magic tricks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 43446 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 20455 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4584 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 6480 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 6550 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9007 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7365 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12748 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Did Jesus Christ ever tell a joke ? The Wise Joker 12 2790 January 31, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 25812 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd