Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 6:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on objective morality
RE: My views on objective morality
(February 28, 2016 at 5:11 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: They can't both be right, and that tells me that morality is subjective, her own included.

And it changes with time, society and necessity.

Drippy actually has a point with his Pop morality thread. It's the title. The contents is pure and undiluted moronism, as usual.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(February 27, 2016 at 3:36 am)Kitan Wrote: I sold my soul to the devil.  I actually did.  I made a pact and everything.  However, I am not a famous, published writer.  Therefore, the devil does not exist.  And neither does god.

Wrong!  God intervened, (again) to save your soul.
The proof is right there! Nothing happened! Because God nullified it, derrrr... How much more proof do you guys need! Jesus H Christ!

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I think I probably sold my soul to the devil too at some point. I can't remember. If he accepted, he got ripped off badly. I doubt he is that stupid.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 26, 2016 at 7:45 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(February 26, 2016 at 7:37 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote: Well what if you meet god and discover he is pro slavery? Maybe we where on the right path with slavery and messed it up?

Then He'd be a different god... not the one I currently believe in.

My point is, if you discovered this objective morality, the ultimate truth, and it told you that slavery was moral, would you think slavery was then moral?
(February 28, 2016 at 3:23 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(February 28, 2016 at 12:49 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: You are correct. And I never said the OT is "invalid". But the Church does teach that a Catholic is free to either believe in the OT literally, or figuratively. As long as a Catholic adheres to Church doctrines, whether or not they believe that Adam actually talked to a snake, etc, is just details.

That's a pretty generous example.  How about this:
  • You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.  Leviticus 25:44-46
Is this "figurative"?  Are you free to take this passage literally, or not?  Where are your "inherent human rights" now?

It depends. If taking this passage literally means the person actually believes slavery is good, then that contradicts Catholic teaching. Remember, I said a Catholic is free to view the OT stories as literal or figurative speech, so long as those people still adhere to Church teaching.

However, if taking it literally means they do believe God said those things but that it doesn't mean He actually condoned it, then that is permitted, since they are not going against Church teaching. I'm not one of those people, so I cannot speak for them. But here's someone who does: http://debunkingatheists.blogspot.com/20...avery.html

"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
"Revelation" gives way to "catholic teaching", ofc. You're not actually free to view the OT as figurative, btw....I don't know who told you that..the catechism is clear on the issue. Literal garden of eden, literal special creation, literal adam, literal eve, literal sin. These things are non-negotiable, as far as the church is concerned. That catholicism has become more liberal in the past few years doesn't change that fact. It just allows you to comfortably ignore what -you- damn well know is stupidity of the highest order.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 28, 2016 at 12:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: "Revelation" gives way to "catholic teaching", ofc.  You're not actually free to view the OT as figurative, btw....I don't know who told you that..the catechism is clear on the issue.  Literal garden of eden, literal special creation, literal adam, literal eve, literal sin.  These things are non-negotiable, as far as the church is concerned.

It's what we learned in school. I went to Catholic school from kindergarten to 8th grade.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Then you were done a disservice. "Catholic teachings" demand literal interpretations of the stories...even if teaching a catholic....doesn't. A specially created literal adam and literal eve had to literally sin..and we must all be descended from them. Did they not teach you this, or were you selectively listening?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 28, 2016 at 12:20 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Then you were done a disservice. The catechism is clear.

If the Catechism says a Catholic is to believe in all the OT stories literally, then why not copy and paste it here?

I searched Catholic Answers for this so I could show it to you guys and put the issue to rest. Peggy Frye talks about it here, using the story of Jonah and the whale as an example: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.ph...+the+whale

Quote:The Catholic Church is silent on the proper interpretation of many biblical passages, readers being allowed to accept one of several understandings. Take, as an example, Jonah’s escapade at sea, which readers often find disturbing. Ronald Knox said “no defender of the sense of Scripture ever pretended, surely, that this was a natural event. If it happened, it was certainly a miracle; and not to my mind a more startling miracle than the raising of Lazarus, in which I take off the story of Jonah is the element of the grotesque which is present in it.” (Ronald Knox and Arnold Lunn, Difficulties (London: Eyre& Spottiswoode, 1951), 109.)

The most common interpretation nowadays, and one that is held by indubitably orthodox exegetes, is that the story of the prophet being swallowed and then disgorged by a “great fish” is merely didactic fiction, a grand tale told to establish a religious point. Catholics are perfectly free to take this or a more literal view… 

-walsh
It's painful to see people issue challenges they -think- will be difficult to meet...which are trivially easy in actuality.
Here's the catechism, on subject.

Quote:The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man. Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents

Heres Pope Pius XII, on subject.
Quote:When, however, there is question of another conjectural opinion, namely polygenism, the children of the Church by no means enjoy such liberty. For the faithful cannot embrace that opinion which maintains either that after Adam there existed on this earth true men who did not take their origin through natural generation from him as from the first parents of all, or that Adam represents a certain number of first parents. Now, it is in no way apparent how such an opinion can be reconciled that which the sources of revealed truth and the documents of the teaching authority of the Church proposed with regard to original sin which proceeds from a sin actually committed by an individual Adam in which through generation is passed onto all and is in everyone as his own

Here's the infallible declaration of Vatican I, on subject
Quote:confess the world and all things which are contained in it, both spiritual and material, as regards their whole substance, have been produced by God from nothing

Do you need more, as a catholic, than the infallible declarations of the vatican, the catechism, and a pope's elaboration?  Learn your own goddamned religion and stop treating it like an all you can eat buffet.

And where did I find...all of this...all in one place?  Why, Catholic Answers, ofc......  Dodgy
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-evolution

...but you want to talk about fish eating people ffs. It wasn't a whale, btw, it was a dragon, leviathan - supernatural creature created by god specifically for this to happen. That would just sound ridiculous though, so we imagine that it was a whale.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2368 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3542 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11397 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 41953 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1427 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 6056 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8638 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3720 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14397 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4626 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm