Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on objective morality
RE: My views on objective morality
(March 9, 2016 at 11:53 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Okay, guys, I'd like to slam on the breaks.  I hope the fighting can stop, because I really do want to get back to the OP.  Specifically, I want to address a question to CL if she's still around.  I'd like a simple answer.  I'm willing to start discussion again in a spirit of support and all-embracing peace and love, if my question can be answered simply:

What logical reason do you have that causes you to believe that objective morality exists, or what evidence do you have that causes you to believe that objective morality exists?

Don't worry, I'm done with this thread - I've finally had enough of the royal assholes who think they and their darlings are the only people who have any right to say anything critical, and now they are denying that they even do that. I just got accused of lying about attacks against me which are plain to see in black and white. Enough with these sanctimonious hypocrites and their shit already! If you want to knock yourself out, feel free to and good luck!
Mr. Hanky loves you!
So....my question is, why does it matter if objective morality exists if it's impossible to know if god really exists and/or what the objective morality is?

If you want to believe that somewhere out there a god exists and his morality is objective and you can't know 100% for sure what he believes is right or wrong but you're working towards it. How is that any different than not believing in objective morality and working towards being what you believe to be subjectively good. It seems like the same thing to me. So who really cares if there's an objective morality. I feel like I'm just as likely to get it right with my subjective morals based on personal experience and rational thinking as a religious person is based on guessing what they think god likes.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(March 9, 2016 at 11:19 pm)Losty Wrote: Of course Thump, because you Sir are a gentleman.

Lol, I'm so misunderstood!

(March 10, 2016 at 12:09 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(March 9, 2016 at 11:19 pm)Losty Wrote: Of course Thump, because you Sir are a gentleman.

Lol, I'm so misunderstood!

Did I misunderstand you? I was only trying to say that no one defended her against you because you weren't saying really mean things.

0/10

(March 10, 2016 at 12:07 am)Losty Wrote: So....my question is, why does it matter if objective morality exists if it's impossible to know if god really exists and/or what the objective morality is?

If you want to believe that somewhere out there a god exists and his morality is objective and you can't know 100% for sure what he believes is right or wrong but you're working towards it. How is that any different than not believing in objective morality and working towards being what you believe to be subjectively good. It seems like the same thing to me. So who really cares if there's an objective morality. I feel like I'm just as likely to get it right with my subjective morals based on personal experience and rational thinking as a religious person is based on guessing what they think god likes.

Relative and objective morals work together my love.

How close or how far from the truth, what knowledge, etc, are all important things to consider in relative morality.

Relative morality with objective morality makes sense. Relative morality without objective morality does not.

You and I definitely don't recognize a single good act as it truly is, and don't recognize an evil act as it truly is.  We see relative to our perceptions and luminosity and the hues we been given. However that relative perception would be impossible without some sort of relation to objective perception.

This is one of the signs of God in your Soul and your link to him sweetheart.  Heart
If I'm being rude for reposting, let me say this: I plan to continue doing so unless told not to, because I'm interested in getting the OP back on track.  That being said:

I'm willing to start discussion again in a spirit of support and all-embracing peace and love, if my question can be answered simply:

CL, what logical reason do you have that causes you to believe that objective morality exists, or what evidence do you have that causes you to believe that objective morality exists?
(March 10, 2016 at 12:29 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(March 10, 2016 at 12:07 am)Losty Wrote: So....my question is, why does it matter if objective morality exists if it's impossible to know if god really exists and/or what the objective morality is?

Relative and objective morals work together my love.

How close or how far from the truth, what knowledge, etc, are all important things to consider in relative morality.

Relative morality with objective morality makes sense. Relative morality without objective morality does not.

You and I definitely don't recognize a single good act as it truly is, and don't recognize an evil act as it truly is.  We see relative to our perceptions and luminosity and the hues we been given. However that relative perception would be impossible without some sort of relation to objective perception.

This is one of the signs of God in your Soul and your link to him sweetheart.  Heart

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDFclOrzXeQ

Heart

0/10

(March 10, 2016 at 12:01 am)God of Mr. Hanky Wrote:
(March 9, 2016 at 11:49 pm)Nymphadora Wrote: Really? Show me where I did that or even said that. I did not name anyone in particular in this thread, during my defense of Cathy, so for you to state that I was attacking you, is an outright lie. And to say I did it using the excuse that I believe I should be a moderator? Don't you think that's a little far fetched, considering I never even said such a thing?

I'm not going to bother dealing with your shit anymore, Nympho. Your attacks against me over the past two days are in black and white, and you've really been a bigger cunt about everything than most theists which I've encountered. You've been acting like nobody other than you and your select few friends deserves any respect on this site, therefore you can go fuck yourself.
So you deliberately put words in my mouth and then when asked to show where I said what you assume I said, you tuck your tail and run.

Excuse me but I'll take being a cunt any day over being a fucking coward who doesn't have the balls to back up an accusation. You, sir, can go fuck YOURSELF.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I hope one day it will all click and you will understand. Insha'allah?
I feel very ashamed of myself for the way I handled things.

I still feel I had valid points to make, but I could have done so in my usual calm manner. Instead I allowed my emotions to get the better of me, and used unecessary pointed language.

I apologize again to CL, and to everyone. I will learn from this and try not to let it happen again. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, I tend to beat myself up endlessly over mistakes. But I've been feeling pretty shitty since it happened. I feel I let everyone down and was partially responsible for all this uproar.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2368 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3542 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11397 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 41953 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1427 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 6056 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8638 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3720 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14397 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4626 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm