Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 4, 2024, 3:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dating as an atheist.
RE: Dating as an atheist.
Nope. It's so rare (outside of the Muslim community maybe) to find a millennial British person who is seriously religious that it's never a topic of conversation you need to have.

I did date a Muslim guy once who was quite serious about being religious (somehow he felt he could be both Muslim and gay, bless), but he took it ok when I said I was an atheist. Actually if I remember right he barely knew what an atheist was until I elaborated.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

If I had to find a religious person here in Australia, I'd probably die lonely....
Of the few remaining who aren't pensioners, they'd be cafe christians at best...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 22, 2016 at 7:54 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(May 22, 2016 at 7:09 pm)Organic Machine Wrote: It's not because I don't think they can't be a good person or anything like that. It's just that we would hold incredibly different worldviews. Like I said, mutual beliefs and interests are important to me. I don't relate to most people so I'd like to relate to a partner as much as possible.

I wish I was that kind of person. I'm very introverted and don't do things where the main intention is to be social. It can be draining. I'm also not that young. I'm 34. I just don't have much experience with actual dating. I'm pretty bad at this sort of thing because my only two relationships have not been traditional. One was long distance with a year before we first met, the other happened out of nowhere and moved incredibly fast.

Right now, I have an attractive neighbor that I'm pretty sure is showing interest in me. One of the things she said in passing was that she noticed my bumper stickers, which I guess you could say are pretty indicative of my lack of belief, she said she thought I'd be a cool person. I know she's single too. We hung out last night but with someone else that she knew there. Time will tell I guess. I just don't know if I'm feeling it. I worry that she's almost too.... normal. As ridiculous as that sounds.

So ask her out for coffee or dinner. This allows y'all to chat without being involved with the other patrons.

I was shy with the gals younger myself, and I do still get butterflies asking one out, but at some point you gotta make the jump. "No" comes with the territory. If it happens, move on down the road, y'know?

Yea, I'm really shy when it comes to this. She seems to have pursued me a bit though so that's a good sign. I'm ok with no. Not worried about that. Based on what I know about her she doesn't seem to do much because she doesn't really know many people here. I just find it hard to initiate because I'm so skeptical and sort of pessimistic about it. I know my type is a needle in a haystack so it's hard for me to get past thinking what's the point.

(May 22, 2016 at 8:17 pm)energizer bunny Wrote:
(May 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm)Organic Machine Wrote: Does anyone find it difficult because of being an atheist? Honestly, I think I could deal with someone believing in a vague higher power that they don't try to define in anyway and that they didn't pray to or worship or anything. If someone was religious enough to claim it by denomination though, I can't do it. Mutual beliefs and interests are very important to me. Would definitely prefer an atheist.

On top of that, I'm very introverted and I don't ever want kids. And I sort of tend to fall quick and hard on the rare occasion that it happens. Just sort of want to find someone where it's just me and her the majority of the time. Someone with no real social obligations, that keeps to themselves minus whoever they are dating. Just the two of us together, being nerdy. I sort of don't ever expect to find anyone. Thought I did, but it didn't work out for other reasons. I got a best friend out of it though.

Anyone else have dating issues because of being an atheist?

No, i don't think that would be my issue. I have an indifferent attitude about dating hence i don't go out of my way to find dates. I'm also very quite and reserved. Even if a women displays interest in me they often won't get more then just a smile and a thank you. I don't really consider this an issue as i very much enjoy my aloneness but also remain open to the possibility of dating. I just often question whether now would be a good time as i'm more focused on my own personal dreams and desires at the moment.

I sort of know what you mean. The first 30 years of my life I never really seemed to have anyone interested in me. As a young adult I was overweight, never had any confidence and was painfully shy with women. In my 30's though I've lost a bunch of weight and had two relationships now so I have a bit of confidence. Not much though. I also know my type is extremely rare so I find it hard to initiate.
[Image: edgecrusher02.jpg]
(May 22, 2016 at 9:27 pm)Organic Machine Wrote:
(May 22, 2016 at 7:54 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: So ask her out for coffee or dinner. This allows y'all to chat without being involved with the other patrons.

I was shy with the gals younger myself, and I do still get butterflies asking one out, but at some point you gotta make the jump. "No" comes with the territory. If it happens, move on down the road, y'know?

Yea, I'm really shy when it comes to this. She seems to have pursued me a bit though so that's a good sign. I'm ok with no. Not worried about that. Based on what I know about her she doesn't seem to do much because she doesn't really know many people here. I just find it hard to initiate because I'm so skeptical and sort of pessimistic about it. I know my type is a needle in a haystack so it's hard for me to get past thinking what's the point.

(May 22, 2016 at 8:17 pm)energizer bunny Wrote: No, i don't think that would be my issue. I have an indifferent attitude about dating hence i don't go out of my way to find dates. I'm also very quite and reserved. Even if a women displays interest in me they often won't get more then just a smile and a thank you. I don't really consider this an issue as i very much enjoy my aloneness but also remain open to the possibility of dating. I just often question whether now would be a good time as i'm more focused on my own personal dreams and desires at the moment.

I sort of know what you mean. The first 30 years of my life I never really seemed to have anyone interested in me. As a young adult I was overweight, never had any confidence and was painfully shy with women. In my 30's though I've lost a bunch of weight and had two relationships now so I have a bit of confidence. Not much though. I also know my type is extremely rare so I find it hard to initiate.

The answer is already "no" if you don't ask. Nothing to lose. Smile
(May 22, 2016 at 9:32 pm)Heatheness Wrote:
(May 22, 2016 at 9:27 pm)Organic Machine Wrote: Yea, I'm really shy when it comes to this. She seems to have pursued me a bit though so that's a good sign. I'm ok with no. Not worried about that. Based on what I know about her she doesn't seem to do much because she doesn't really know many people here. I just find it hard to initiate because I'm so skeptical and sort of pessimistic about it. I know my type is a needle in a haystack so it's hard for me to get past thinking what's the point.

The answer is already "no" if you don't ask. Nothing to lose. Smile

Very true. I just don't really have any expectations about someone being my type because I know that my type is rare. I like dating sites because a lot of my concerns are addressed by simply reading someone's profile. I sort of don't even want to bother initiating something unless I know that they don't ever want kids because I definitely don't ever want kids and I know that's a deal breaker.
(May 22, 2016 at 9:36 pm)Organic Machine Wrote:
(May 22, 2016 at 9:32 pm)Heatheness Wrote: The answer is already "no" if you don't ask. Nothing to lose. Smile

Very true. I just don't really have any expectations about someone being my type because I know that my type is rare. I like dating sites because a lot of my concerns are addressed by simply reading someone's profile. I sort of don't even want to bother initiating something unless I know that they don't ever want kids because I definitely don't ever want kids and I know that's a deal breaker.

Well, I guess you could wear a t-shirt that says "Procreation Is Out!" and if she says, "no shit, dude", sweep her off her feet. Big Grin
(May 22, 2016 at 9:39 pm)Heatheness Wrote:
(May 22, 2016 at 9:36 pm)Organic Machine Wrote: Very true. I just don't really have any expectations about someone being my type because I know that my type is rare. I like dating sites because a lot of my concerns are addressed by simply reading someone's profile. I sort of don't even want to bother initiating something unless I know that they don't ever want kids because I definitely don't ever want kids and I know that's a deal breaker.

Well, I guess you could wear a t-shirt that says "Procreation Is Out!" and if she says, "no shit, dude", sweep her off her feet. Big Grin

If only it were that easy.  Tongue
FF to 2:37 for the message, but you'll miss some cool groovin':

Of the women I've dated, I can recall one whom I would call religious. Then again, this is Germany, not the funny US of A Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Organic,

This may come across as a crass joke, but I'm being sincere. Strike up conversation in and around a library or at a concert of music you're into. Even if your potential mate isn't an introvert, someone that likes to read will respect 'personal' time. The added benefit of a library hook up is that even if she's Christian, she will likely not be of the fundy variety in that she reads other books.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black Pill Dating Theory? FrustratedFool 143 7590 August 30, 2023 at 6:11 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Dating advice seandiggy 30 4753 October 23, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Dating - Could you date a religious person? Regina 48 7905 November 8, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Elskidor
  Dating a vegetarian mcolafson 42 4430 September 27, 2016 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Divinity
  Online dating truthers J a c k 96 10060 August 1, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Thinking About Trying Online Dating Again - Talk Me Out of It Seraphina 62 6582 July 29, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dating as an "A word" BlackMason 18 4442 June 15, 2014 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Bad Wolf
  PSA: Online Dating BrokenQuill92 9 2493 April 6, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
Heart Dating for Atheists aedallas 3 5752 March 25, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  round 2 need urgent dating advice! leodeo 33 8362 November 25, 2013 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Walking Void