Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did science originally come from ? Something Unusual maybe ?
RE: Where did science originally come from ? Something Unusual maybe ?
Imagine the scenario:

You go around making fantastical claims all the time. Sure, all your fellow cultists accept them without question, but you sometimes venture outside the echo chamber. You encounter these dangerous creatures known as sceptics. Suddenly, there's a barrier. They won't simply believe anything you say. So you resort to the argument from ignorance, of course! Can you prove my fantastical claims aren't true?

I've no need, says the sceptic. The burden of proof is on you.

That's when the horror begins. No sleep, just that phrase going round in your head... Burden of proof. Burden of proof. You don't really understand it, but you can sense that it is the one obstacle between you and sceptics. How can you handle the situation? The demon must be exorcised. If you can somehow reduce it to a triviality, bring it up at every opportunity, maybe sceptics will tire of the concept and just start believing you. Maybe they'll finally join your cult, and you can save up enough Jesus points for that holy pencil sharpner you've had your eye on.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Oh I forgot. Science is the work of the devil. Its sole purpose is to discredit religion with demonstrable facts. The devil is made of cells. Who made those cells? The uber devil, aka god.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Religion celebrates incest.

Index of my best videos
(June 18, 2016 at 10:46 pm)Losty Wrote:
(June 18, 2016 at 10:44 pm)Stimbo Wrote: And on that delightful note, I hear my bed calling me.

Sweet dreams Heart

And can I see you in the lounge before you're off?

I was hoping to see you in my bedroom, actually.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 19, 2016 at 6:03 am)robvalue Wrote: Religion celebrates incest.

Rock crusher inclination.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 19, 2016 at 2:43 am)Losty Wrote: Rambunctious cunt inducer

[Image: C_Data_Users_Def_Apps_App_Data_INTERNETEXPLORER_T.jpg]
(June 18, 2016 at 10:39 pm)Losty Wrote:
(June 18, 2016 at 10:27 pm)Thomas Kelly252525 Wrote: I think my posting skills are good enough for people with enough experience.  You may agree that some people are too busy to do things sometimes like I have been.  Do you want to give me instructions on how you think I should quote properly ?

When you reply to someone you will see this

Code:
[quote='Stimbo' pid='1306872' dateline='1466299317']
The burden of proof does not apply to opinions; only positive assertions. Your continual claiming of the discursive high ground does not alter that.

To your second point re: "fancy colours", I think we both know exactly what I mean. Please keep me out of your little games, yes?

Finally, please learn to quote properly. It's not difficult. Replying within quotes as you are doing makes it unnecessarily awkward to follow the flow of your threads, inasmuch as there can be said to be one.
[/quote]

In order to quote properly do not write inside their quote tags but instead separate the parts and add your answers between the separate parts outside of the quote tags.
Code:
[quote='Stimbo' pid='1306872' dateline='1466299317']
The burden of proof does not apply to opinions; only positive assertions. Your continual claiming of the discursive high ground does not alter that. [/quote]

Do you think you can prove that I have not used burden of proof right ?

[quote]To your second point re: "fancy colours", I think we both know exactly what I mean. Please keep me out of your little games, yes?[/quote]

Do you think you can prove I'm playing little games in this forum ?

Do you think you can prove that we both know exactly what you meant by "fancy colours" ?

[quote]Finally, please learn to quote properly. It's not difficult. Replying within quotes as you are doing makes it unnecessarily awkward to follow the flow of your threads, inasmuch as there can be said to be one.
[/quote]

I think my posting skills are good enough for people with enough experience.  You may agree that some people are too busy to do things sometimes like I have been.  Do you want to give me instructions on how you think I should quote properly ?

Now that I have taken the time to show you how, it would be wise to do so in the future. Quote mining or deliberately misquoting people is against the rules.

Do you think I was misquoting people, if so, burden of proof.
Moderator Notice
Thomas Kelly252525: Please read your private messages before making any more posts. You have a message from the staff.

Index of my best videos
Where did science originally come from ? Something Unusual maybe ?
Thomas Kelly makes Lil Rik look like TheRocketSurgeon.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Religion Causes Infections
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something/nothing/forever and cycles. Brian37 12 1144 April 2, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Something Star Trek Missed onlinebiker 44 3888 May 26, 2019 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Something to Look Forward To, Perhaps Minimalist 16 4150 May 7, 2018 at 12:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Maybe this will shut creationists up finally dyresand 34 5369 April 27, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why groups of people can remember something that didn't happen GrandizerII 4 1655 January 4, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Something that has been on my mind dyresand 24 3739 December 4, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Come and knock on my door..... Brian37 10 2153 November 19, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Who Knows. Might Find Something. Minimalist 10 3432 October 25, 2015 at 2:51 pm
  Well....Maybe Minimalist 17 4344 July 22, 2015 at 12:07 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Something to Look Forward to Minimalist 22 3677 November 12, 2014 at 3:43 pm