Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 22, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UK to leave EU
RE: UK to leave EU
EU President to help UK with velvet divorce after Scottish independence

Quote:The European Union’s next President Robert Fico (Prime Minister of Slovakia), who will take over presidency of the EU on Monday, has offered to help broker a velvet divorce for Scotland from the rest of the UK if Scotland votes to become an independent nation.

The velvet divorce was the name given to the process of the dissolution of Czechoslovakia in 1993 which led to the formation of Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Both nations later became independent EU members.

Mr Fico said: “Slovaks and Czechs have a unique experience of peaceful separation and we are willing to share our experience with anyone who is interested.”

Senior German minister gives Sturgeon boost in her EU fight

Quote:Sigmar Gabriel, the German economy minister and vice-chancellor, told a news agency that Scotland would be able to join the EU as an independent country.

According to Reuters, Mr Gabriel said that the EU would certainly accept Scotland as a member in its own right if the country left the UK and wanted to join the EU.

Quote:Although coming with mixed responses from a few EU member states, the general consensus emerging is that although Scotland is welcome it needs to become an independent country to maintain EU membership. Otherwise, Scotland if still part of the UK at the point of Brexit, will have to leave as well. Scotland can only negotiate on its own terms of membership outwith the UK and would therefore have to hold another independence referendum before Brexit officially takes place.

EU just put Westminster between a rock and a very hard place over Scotland!

Quote:Separately giving evidence the Scottish parliament Dr Kirsty Hughes, former senior political adviser in the European Commission and an Associate Fellow at Friends of Europe think tank, said she had been told “off the record” that discussions were taking place in the EU over placing Scotland in a “transitional holding pen” after the UK leaves the bloc, thus preventing Scotland from having to go through the process of leaving and re-applying should the public back independence. She also stated that independence would be the “simplest and most obvious way” to maintain Scotland’s place EU membership following last week’s Brexit vote.
(July 4, 2016 at 5:42 am)pocaracas Wrote: WUT!?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ni...6080102f3?
"
Nigel Farage today resigned as Ukip leader, claiming he wanted his life back.

The MEP, who has been one of the country’s most recognisible Eurosceptic figures over the past ten years, made the announcement at a press conference in Central London.

Farage, who famously ‘unresigned’ as party leader last May, insisted today that this time his resignation was permanent.

In front of Ukip MEPs and other party officials, Farage made the shock announcement less than two weeks after the country voted to leave the European Union.
"

YAY!!!!!!
Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
(July 1, 2016 at 12:17 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 11:56 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: This is one of the interesting parts of all of the criticism I've received from Americans, here and on other sites........if the US ever found themselves in a position where laws were being passed by an organisation outside of your own country, that governed parts of your everyday life....

How'd you think that vote would have gone?
Sorry, missed this one.

We -are- in that position.  The US States and the EU States have more in common than right wingers on either side of the pond like to admit.  Just as Texas and the UK have alot in common, in context, main difference between them being that Texas isn't foolish enough to -act- on it's secessionist day-dreams...nor does anyone there actually believe that it would strike a mortal blow if they left, or if we withheld or severely taxed trade between us and the newly minted them.

You will not be negotiating from a position of power...that is an imperialist brit fantasy.  You will be negotiating for sympathy, you've just impoverished yourselves.  The only play is to try and make the EU seem like a big bad meanie and stir shit with it's remaining member states.  Which is exactly what your reps did, when they took the floor last...with scotland begging and britain passive-aggresively asking for a handout.

That, isn't the same, at all.  The Texas situation is more akin to Cornwall over here, them not being sovereign states, but still.

With all due respect, we'll just have to sit it out, it's interesting to see the frothy mouthed reactions from people who have no vested interest, especially considering their reactions seem so ill-informed.  

We'll see the outcome in a few years, as I said before, my guess is that Britain shall be in a much stronger position than we were.
You may refer to me as "Oh High One."
(July 1, 2016 at 12:17 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 11:56 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: This is one of the interesting parts of all of the criticism I've received from Americans, here and on other sites........if the US ever found themselves in a position where laws were being passed by an organisation outside of your own country, that governed parts of your everyday life....

How'd you think that vote would have gone?

The vote would have never happened here because we have no provision by which to hold a national referendum.  (I consider that a feature, not a bug.)

If we could have voted on it, it might have very well gone the same way - and I'd be criticizing that result just as soundly.

It was a hypothetical question, if the US had joined a trading bloc, that after 20 years had turned itself into law making, undemocratic superstate in waiting.....how do you think the US would have voted?
(July 1, 2016 at 12:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 11:23 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: That kind of politics has always worked out so well in the past.......

If you are expecting humanity to change because of you I fear that you are walking along a path which will lead to disappointment.

Yes, yes...I expect humanity to change all because of me.

Unlike you to overstate something, have to say.....
(July 1, 2016 at 12:02 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 11:53 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: We will have a deal with the EU, at some point, that will allow for trade, and the movement of people.  Deals will be negotiated, terms agreed between the UK and the EU. 

These laws you speak of will no longer apply to the UK, so why would we want a voice in how they are made?

Yes, ofc, one-sided deals and usory terms that profit the EU.  Or you could try your hand with us...but we've -already- siphoned off, through short selling, an amount greater than the funds pledged to prevent disaster...that's the kind of special friend we are.

-and god forbid we get a progressive government that more closely approximates EU economic restrictions.  Then you'll be royally fucked, and all without the backing of the EU..which is an economic empire every bit the equal to our own.  Squeezed between two giants who don't have my interests at heart isn't the sort of place I'd want to be, if I were a tiny island nation who'd pissed off just about -everyone- on earth at some point or another...and before you start to think that those are old grudges, water under the bridge..just remember....star's and bars brexit.

You act like the EU is the only bloc we'll be trying to trade with.

This is getting awfully boring......all of us here in the UK that voted out are quite obviously right-wing, mealy mouth racists with no education.
(July 4, 2016 at 5:42 am)pocaracas Wrote: WUT!?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ni...6080102f3?
"
Nigel Farage today resigned as Ukip leader, claiming he wanted his life back.

The MEP, who has been one of the country’s most recognisible Eurosceptic figures over the past ten years, made the announcement at a press conference in Central London.

Farage, who famously ‘unresigned’ as party leader last May, insisted today that this time his resignation was permanent.

In front of Ukip MEPs and other party officials, Farage made the shock announcement less than two weeks after the country voted to leave the European Union.
"

Thanks to Nigel along with the other Brexiters, for campaigning tirelessly to get us this referendum. We finally achieved our freedom. Good luck to whatever he does now.
(July 5, 2016 at 4:26 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: You act like the EU is the only bloc we'll be trying to trade with.

This is getting awfully boring......all of us here in the UK that voted out are quite obviously right-wing, mealy mouth racists with no education.

How dare you choose what is best for your country! You racist bigot!

Tongue
(July 5, 2016 at 4:44 am)Bella Morte Wrote:
(July 5, 2016 at 4:26 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote: You act like the EU is the only bloc we'll be trying to trade with.

How dare you choose what is best for your country! You racist bigot!

Tongue

Funny watching the masses here, it's quite sad really.
(July 5, 2016 at 4:46 am)SofaKingHigh Wrote:
(July 5, 2016 at 4:44 am)Bella Morte Wrote: How dare you choose what is best for your country! You racist bigot!

Tongue

Funny watching the masses here, it's quite sad really.

Aye, you're right about that. I've had a fair few chuckles at this thread.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 1056 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Scotland could leave the UK, and join Canada instead, says author Isis 21 7417 April 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Merkel will pay migrants to leave Germany account_inactive 26 4834 February 12, 2017 at 3:28 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Hey Tim. Leave The God Shit to the Repulbicunts Minimalist 12 2512 October 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  EU: Should the UK Leave or Stay? Napoléon 255 22235 May 4, 2016 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Ben Carson Threatens to Leave GOP Minimalist 11 2071 December 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Far-right rioters leave trail of destruction in Polish capital kılıç_mehmet 39 8767 November 20, 2013 at 9:39 am
Last Post: EgoRaptor
  French troops to leave Afghanistan Something completely different 23 8433 November 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Brakeman