Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 4:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real religion?
RE: The real religion?
(July 13, 2016 at 5:20 pm)SteveII Wrote:  So of course they will have the most leaving their birth religion.

Because it's just that compelling.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(July 13, 2016 at 5:20 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 13, 2016 at 5:13 pm)Irrational Wrote: It doesn't matter???

Why, because it's not a favorable stat for your particular group?

Because 85% of religious people will be born in a Christian home. So of course they will have the most leaving their birth religion. I am looking at who is coming in as a thinking adult.

Quote:How successful are parents in passing on their religious beliefs, or lack of belief, to their children?

It turns out that children raised in religious homes are much more likely to remain believers than children raised in non-believing families are likely to remain non believers:
  • Atheists’ children are only 30% likely to remain atheist,
  • unaffiliated children are about 50% likely to stay that way,
  • christian kids are 32-73% (depending on denomination – average is about 60%) likely to remain in their denomination, and
  • Hindus, Muslims and Jews have the best retention rate of all (76-84%).

http://www.is-there-a-god.info/blog/beli...-atheists/

Rates of leaving do vary so it does matter. By satisfaction with their birth religion, it would appear that Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism are more compelling than Christianity. I think it's reasonable to conclude that someone born into a religion knows more about its truth than a newcomer. You can spin these things a thousand different ways, the only statistic that matters is relative numbers, and on that score Christianity is no more compelling than other religions.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Quote:Two-thirds of former Catholics who have become unaffiliated and half of former Protestants who have become unaffiliated say they left their childhood faith because they stopped believing in its teachings, and roughly four-in-ten say they became unaffiliated because they do not believe in God or the teachings of most religions.

http://www.pewforum.org/2009/04/27/faith-in-flux/

Quote:The results of the new survey offer a fuller picture of the churn within American religion and suggest that previous estimates actually may have understated the amount of religious change taking place in the U.S. First, among the 56% of the population that currently belongs to the same religion as the one in which they were raised, one-in-six (16%) say there was a time in their life when they had a different faith than they have now. Combined with the 44% of the public that currently espouses a religion different than their childhood faith, this means that roughly half of the U.S. adult population has changed religion at some point in their life.

http://www.pewforum.org/2009/04/27/faith-in-flux/
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Thank you for the stats and commentary Jorm, very interesting Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Gonna bump this, as we've had surprisingly few attempts by theists to challenge my observations.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(July 12, 2016 at 6:37 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(July 12, 2016 at 6:11 pm)robvalue Wrote: Adult conversion rate?

So god's gift to the correct religion is... giving people the power to persuade others to join it? That's it?

And when another religion becomes more popular, the previous one was... what? Wrong all along? One God dies and another is born?

You would have to examine why Christianity is more compelling than the rest. I articulated my thoughts on this in a thread not too long ago.

I've just read your first post in that thread (don't think were allowed to re-open old threads).
Trouble is you've totally skirted over the evil parts of Christianity, you know hell and damnation for none believers. Even hell and damnation say for different type of believers (cat-o-lics for Protestants and pro-testicles for Catholics)
Scientology.

Duh.
Thanks for the bump.

This has still had no serious challenge as far as I'm concerned. Appeals to popularity, and appeals to appealing stories. Nothing to do with reality.

Index of my best videos
I've always thought the Buddists seem like a friendly bunch.
(August 7, 2016 at 4:09 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Scientology.

Duh.

All hail Kolob... Or Xenu... or whatever the fucktards believe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11119 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5011 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20098 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50877 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5269 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused