Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 7:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for Jesus Christ?
RE: Evidence for Jesus Christ?
(May 1, 2011 at 7:06 am)Napoleon666 Wrote: Hey people!

I want to propose a challenge if you will. A challenge to any christians on this forum, or anyone else who wants to get involved.

My question is this, what evidence can you provide me with, OTHER than the bible, that jesus existed?

This may have been discussed before but i've flicked through the threads and not really found a recent one devoted to this particular question.

I want to let you guys know the reasoning behind this question, i've been watching the atheist experience for a few months now, and a popular comeback they have to people who claim the existence of jesus is 'prove it'. Well these particular atheists claim there is no evidence for jesus, and also claim that there are no other writings about jesus other than in the bible.

However i have come across things such as this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus which would suggest that these particular atheists are wrong.

Does anyone here know about Josephus in more depth? and do you guys think that more simple text is enough to prove he existed?

What i really would like is for someone to provide me with some physical evidence, like what he actually wrote, or a tomb or a piece of carpentry he made (he was a carpenter afterall). Otherwise i guess in arguements against Christians i can just use the line 'prove it'?

There's kinda alot here but what the bottom line question i would like to discuss is what evidence if you are a Christian would you give me that jesus existed?

Thanks for reading Big Grin

Napo!

first i am not christian

but what evidence can you give me other than xxx book to prove that Plato existed.

wasn't christ mentioned in multiple religions, not a rhetoric question.

The bible was written by men, and multiple men at that... and yeah they are more than likely batshit insane but I would guess that they were writing about the actions of a actual man who existed.

Quote:but I would guess that they were writing about the actions of a actual man who existed.

Using that "logic" one could make a case for Hercules, Quetzlcoatl or Goldilocks.
(May 1, 2011 at 3:34 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Well...why haven't you?

rofl

Okay, Summer....I took down the fucking curtain rod.
(May 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Okay, Summer....I took down the fucking curtain rod.

Big Grin
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(May 2, 2011 at 6:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:but I would guess that they were writing about the actions of a actual man who existed.

Using that "logic" one could make a case for Hercules, Quetzlcoatl or Goldilocks.
(May 1, 2011 at 3:34 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Well...why haven't you?

rofl

Okay, Summer....I took down the fucking curtain rod.

good point
(May 2, 2011 at 5:30 pm)darkblight Wrote: but what evidence can you give me other than xxx book to prove that Plato existed.

I've heard this objection before and there are two problems with it:

First, this is comparing apples to oranges. Plato wasn't a demigod of a religion come to earth (Hercules, Perseus, etc) or the subject of folklore (King Arthur, Beowulf, etc), he was a philosopher. The same kind of religious and folklore mechanics aren't at work here. In other words, there was no movement of Platoists who prayed to a celestial Plato for redemption nor are there any epic myths of him completing the quest of finding the maguffin so he could slay the foosil. They simply respected the mortal man for the philosophies he created. There was neither a motive to make him up nor a process of urban legend to create him.

Second, people who knew Plato, who were part of the school founded by him, wrote down what he taught, not 40 years later in accounts laden with unlikely supernatural claims, but simply what he taught.

So no, I don't have a double standard with Plato. This is simply extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence while mundane claims are accepted with mundane evidence.

Quote:wasn't christ mentioned in multiple religions, not a rhetoric question.

One religion that I know of: Islam. This religion came six centuries later and seems like an offshoot.

The Jews had nothing to say on Jesus until about 300 AD, and even this Talmudic reference might not be about the same "Yeshua".
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
[snark snark]

The only Jesus we care about is the one we pay to mow the lawn and flick light switches for us on Saturdays

[/snark]

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Use of word evidence when one really means scientific evidence? Check.

Demands for proof? Check.

Absence of bungee cord? Check.

Seems like a typical atheist so far. Looks like he's already dived, so it's a little late for me to assist *twirls bungee cord in circles because it makes funny noises*.

Sleepy
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Bungee cord?
(May 2, 2011 at 9:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Bungee cord?

Yes, he was missing his. Can't bounce back up out of the depths he's hit. Poor sod. Levitate
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Ah.

Got it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 7440 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4621 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If theists understood "evidence" Foxaèr 135 14197 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2978 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jerusalem, rapture, the coming of christ, and crazy evangelicals WinterHold 9 1460 May 25, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9975 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 51815 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Someone, Show me Evidence of God. ScienceAf 85 11879 September 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 22851 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Evidence of NDEs Jehanne 22 4491 December 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet