Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 8:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real religion?
RE: The real religion?
I'd say good evidence of practicing the "real religion" is the presence of joy in your soul.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(August 15, 2016 at 5:41 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: I think Steve has abandoned the thread...like they all do...all the time...and then somehow convince themselves that they "win debates", and are "never proved wrong".

It is our job to introduce cognitive dissonance.  Perhaps he'll respond to it by letting go of his goofy belief system, and perhaps he'll respond by avoiding reality forever and being even worse of than before, "reaffirming his faith in the Lord" or whatever.

But I think in the end, over the next few generations, only a complete internet blackout will prevent the Christian memes from dying out under the pressure of reality and the integration of multiple cultures.
The real religion?
(August 15, 2016 at 5:49 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: I'd say good evidence of practicing the "real religion" is the presence of joy in your soul.

Then I'd say that you have no idea what "good evidence" actually is.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
The real religion?
(August 15, 2016 at 5:52 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(August 15, 2016 at 5:41 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: I think Steve has abandoned the thread...like they all do...all the time...and then somehow convince themselves that they "win debates", and are "never proved wrong".

It is our job to introduce cognitive dissonance.  Perhaps he'll respond to it by letting go of his goofy belief system, and perhaps he'll respond by avoiding reality forever and being even worse of than before, "reaffirming his faith in the Lord" or whatever.

But I think in the end, over the next few generations, only a complete internet blackout will prevent the Christian memes from dying out under the pressure of reality and the integration of multiple cultures.

Has anyone ever de-converted here?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

(August 15, 2016 at 5:53 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(August 15, 2016 at 5:49 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: I'd say good evidence of practicing the "real religion" is the presence of joy in your soul.

Then I'd say that you have no idea what "good evidence" actually is.

What is the purpose of religion if not internal harmony with God and creation?

The presence of joy is at least a good indicator of the absence of cognitive dissonance and existential angst.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(August 15, 2016 at 5:56 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(August 15, 2016 at 5:52 pm)bennyboy Wrote: It is our job to introduce cognitive dissonance.  Perhaps he'll respond to it by letting go of his goofy belief system, and perhaps he'll respond by avoiding reality forever and being even worse of than before, "reaffirming his faith in the Lord" or whatever.

Has anyone ever de-converted here?

I doubt that's likely to happen. It takes a lot more than that to get people out of an indoctrinated belief. It took me a good 5 years of listening to good points for me to finally give up religion.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
The real religion?
(August 15, 2016 at 5:56 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 15, 2016 at 5:53 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Then I'd say that you have no idea what "good evidence" actually is.

The presence of joy is at least a good indicator of the absence of cognitive dissonance and existential angst.

But, how exactly do those feelings prove that particular religion to be real, or more real than any other religion? I imagine people from many different religious backgrounds all over the world experience peace and joy as the result of their beliefs. Has nothing to do with "proof".

You beat me too it Tongue

It's also a pretty pathetic payoff for the real religion, seeing as there are plenty of other ways of achieving the same thing without all the hassle and dogma.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The real religion?
(August 15, 2016 at 7:26 pm)robvalue Wrote: You beat me too it Tongue

It's also a pretty pathetic payoff for the real religion, seeing as there are plenty of other ways of achieving the same thing without all the hassle and dogma.

Yeah, exactly. Who has time for all that GROVELING?

(August 15, 2016 at 5:56 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 15, 2016 at 5:53 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Then I'd say that you have no idea what "good evidence" actually is.

Internal harmony...with what's actually..well, internal..perhaps?

How about a coping mechanism? 

A license to print money?

Justification for adventurism and plunder?

The stultifying mores referred to in a deeply conservative social engineering project?

But, hey, if the only purpose of religion is to please the pixies.........then I guess the rest of that is just a bonus.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11247 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5054 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20199 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 51512 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5291 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused