Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 10:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you see any benefits to religious faith?
RE: Do you see any benefits to religious faith?
No, I used a jpg to make a commentary about your style of posting. You simply dropped some random shit and pretended you were being satirical.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 13, 2016 at 6:56 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: [Image: richard-dawkins-scientist-quote-the-meme...es-its.jpg]

And I completely agree. Blind faith does just that because it's mostly wrapped around a projected sense of self-worth. "I believe these things because that's what a good God fearing person should believe."

Experiential faith is not about self worth, you don't "earn it" and that is also asserted in the bible. Several "reports" of the experience felt like they didn't deserve it. Because it's not about that.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Quote:Light is also helpful to illustrate the relationship of God to the universe: Before the creation of space is like unified white light, the creation of space is like the prismation of light, the forces and material inside are like the spread out colors. They would be the "Elohim" expressive plurality of the originally unfed God.

The infinite unified God state of absolute being still exists outside the finite, mostly empty space universe.

And the infinite God uses the dark energon to generate the omni-prism of warp energy, maintaining the power of the Planeteers long enough to complete Goku's spirit bomb and save Eternia from total protonic reversal, right? Am I following?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(September 13, 2016 at 7:16 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: And I completely agree. Blind faith does just that because it's mostly wrapped around a projected sense of self-worth. "I believe these things because that's what a good God fearing person should believe."

Experiential faith is not about self worth, you don't "earn it" and that is also asserted in the bible.  Several "reports" of the experience felt like they didn't deserve it. Because it's not about that.

So...Leviticus. Where does that fit in to this narrative of yours?
(September 13, 2016 at 7:10 pm)Stimbo Wrote: No, I used a jpg to make a commentary about your style of posting. You simply dropped some random shit and pretended you were being satirical.
Badger

I concede, your re-framing is more colorful. Thumb up

We got off to a really bad start Stimbo and I've owned my part in acting out of ignorance. I don't require anything from you but if you insist in continuing to provoke and prod me, consider this your final warning......

(September 13, 2016 at 7:19 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
Quote:Light is also helpful to illustrate the relationship of God to the universe: Before the creation of space is like unified white light, the creation of space is like the prismation of light, the forces and material inside are like the spread out colors. They would be the "Elohim" expressive plurality of the originally unified God.

The infinite unified God state of absolute being still exists outside the finite, mostly empty space universe.

And the infinite God uses the dark energon to generate the omni-prism of warp energy, maintaining the power of the Planeteers long enough to complete Goku's spirit bomb and save Eternia from total protonic reversal, right? Am I following?
.....I'm pretty sure that's cultural inappropriation...

Sorry, probably threw you completely off course with my misprint.

No. The Original God quantum fluctuated (vibrated to the point of cavitation) and the resulting order within the newly formed void space is a wave-function of the original infinite "particle". A particle with no boundary forms a finite space within itself. Form out of formlessness.

This finite spatial wave-function/form is derived from both the original particle's relative spatial relationships with it's own substance and the pure logic of Newtonian equal/opposite reaction. The very first set of structures predicted by this method describes a nucleus, larger spherical border condition and a field in equilibrium between them. The vibrating container that is the universe predicts it's own micro-standing wave form/basic building block: The Atom.

I'm also not the first to find/intuit/re-discover this method of navigation nor the shapes I have found.

Fun research activity: Find the self created/formed/birthed God who's symbol is the circle around the dot and the story of his arising.
The universe is not something from nothing....it's a relative nothing, within a sum thing, so that some things can experience movement/change/time/growth.
Well, so long as that's cleared up.
religions that pronounce hot hairy homo perverted butt hole gaping deep fisting erotic sex forbidden add that extra touch of spark that makes it all the more fun

and then getting to do the nasty with an actual member of one of those churches, EXQUISITE !!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 13, 2016 at 3:36 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(September 13, 2016 at 5:05 am)bennyboy Wrote: Rob, the problem you are talking about is true for ALL mental experiences and states of mind. . . you have to take what people say, then see if you can find neural or physiological correlates.  But if you test a lot of people, and those who SAY they have feelings of faith tend toward certain types of brain function which those who say they do not have those feelings, then you can reasonably infer that their feelings are real.

And faith is NOT religion.  Faith is a state of suspension of disbelief, combined with a sense that some entity or principle maintains rightness in the universe.  Religions require it, but it is not religion.

Faith = pistis = Divine persuasion not self persuasion.

If faith is taken to mean belief, then there is no need for the word faith. It's spiritually redundant aka dysfunctional.  Much to the delight of The Church.

The meaning has been hijacked and lost like part of a map cut off.  People won't very well explore a territory that is not represented nor entertain a possibility they think does not exist.

If you can degrade the meanings of words, you can degrade the function of thought and limit the potential expression/development of an individual....aka "newspeak".

I didn't say anything about persuasion of any type, self or otherwise. Nor did I say that faith is belief. Can you please stop quoting my posts, and then making up a bunch of bullshit that has no relation to what you quoted? That's rude and annoying.

Or. . . just shut the fuck up and we can all spray salad on our monitors and PRETEND you posted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 4071 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1321 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5427 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Baha'i faith Figbash 5 997 April 13, 2020 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] Comfort in Faith at Death Shell B 142 12078 August 4, 2019 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Atheist who is having a crisis of faith emilsein 204 14105 April 29, 2019 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2988 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Faith industry Graufreud 8 934 August 8, 2018 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  A friendly religious discussion with theists without any fallacies! ignoramus 18 3409 May 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  My faith is on hold. Mystic 16 4373 May 3, 2018 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic