Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 1:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
christian school project
RE: christian school project
(October 3, 2016 at 3:21 pm)lighthouse Wrote: This is for a school project to post a christian post on an atheist site

Seriously, assuming this is not a troll, why would a school do this?
Why would a perfect being be displeased with inferior creatures? Why would a perfect being create free will, and then demand that inferior creatures not exercise it (or get punished for doing so)?
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(October 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(October 3, 2016 at 3:21 pm)lighthouse Wrote: This is for a school project to post a christian post on an atheist site

Probably to reinforce stereotypes, and thus tighten the noose on their end.

And wait until the parents complain to the school board!

Troll or home-schooler whose Mom is desperate to get away from the kid for a few minutes.

Take your pick.
(October 3, 2016 at 4:40 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: Well, for starters, god isn't the meek, "oh, golly, I hope one of my kids calls me on my birthday" parent sitting on the sidelines you try to portray him as.  He's a tyrant.  The entire OT is evidence of that.

"But, he totally mellowed out during the NT!"  Really?  So, that's why he made a son for the explicit purpose of him getting tortured and killed via crucifixion?  

Sorry, but that's BS.

Original sin is a dumb, immoral concept.  Vicarious redemption through blood sacrifice is a dumb, immoral concept.  Giving people free will, but then punishing them for exercising that free will (in addition to whatever consequences they may face for their actions on earth) is a dumb, immoral concept.  Creating a one-size-fits-all punishment of eternal fire and torment for finite crimes is a dumb, immoral concept.

No matter how you try to put lipstick on it, your god is a terrible, terrible being.  Thankfully for everyone, it doesn't exist.

Nah he isn't  a tyrant.
He asked Abraham to give his son as a sacrifice and right before he did, God stopped him and told him to use a lamb in the bush instead. God just needed to know that if that was what it came to Abraham would give his only son who meant the world to him. This allowed God to make a covenant and Give his only son to be perfect and suffer through torture and three days in hell to pay for everyone's sins so they didn't have to make blood sacrifices anymore and the holy spirit could live inside of us.

original sin is the fact that we are a self centered species. You can see that in the fact that a baby's first words are "mine" and they only love you because you give them things and keep their belly full.  Which is natural but God gives deliverance from that.

blood sacrifice was dumb thats why we stopped doing it

giving people free will because you love them and forcing them to love you back isn't love
you walk yourself into hell he doesnt punish you by putting you there. hell is simply a place where he is not.

sin isn't really relevant to why you go to hell. you go to hell for not loving him because why would he want to spend eternity with someone that doesnt love him back. you just simply go to a place where he is not. Since he is love and everything good and hell is the opposite then i guess its not the most pleasant place.

Thank God I am his
(October 3, 2016 at 3:45 pm)lighthouse Wrote: In order for me to correct your misunderstanding or to even acknowledge it, I have to see your take on the passage. My take on it however, is that after the fall of man war was a way of life. It was how you kept your people alive and grew your empire. Game of Thrones in real life. None of the other nations offered peace nor mercy and the fact that Jews did that was very different. Now if peace was not accepted then killing anyone able to fight back and keeping the ones unable alive was the logical and moral way of doing war. And if peace was kept, maintaining the idea of supremacy over the people was a way to keep them from rebelling. Jews also treated their servants well unlike how the Egyptians treated them lol.

Didn't God plan on that fall happening or isn't your god omnipotent?  Wait, I know the answer to this one from other xtian posters.  Free will, right?  In other words, God designed man in his own perfect image and sent him off to fail in the manner he omnisciently knew he must.  Yeah, that's how a loving god would do it alright.

Hope that was matoor enough for you.  I can't speak for all atheists but I for one will try my level best to keep the anguished screams to a minimum while I'm being tortured for an eternity.  No reason your lot should have your eternal bliss harshed by we willful ones who chose of our own free will to hate God almighty.
(October 3, 2016 at 4:51 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(October 3, 2016 at 4:40 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: Well, for starters, god isn't the meek, "oh, golly, I hope one of my kids calls me on my birthday" parent sitting on the sidelines you try to portray him as.  

Not so fast! The pathetic "I hope one of my kids calls me on my birthday" schtick is mine. Let me try on this 'God' persona for a bit. I might like it.

<Gazes into a mirror, trying different voices>  "You will love me as I love you or . . . I'll . . ." <shakes fist impotently> ". . . I'll damn you and smite you!

*sigh* Perhaps this god thing really isn't my bag. I love my kids way too much for that shit.

Oh well, now I feel like reading about a petulant tyrant of a father. <considers the Bible but picks up "King Lear" instead. shrugs> 

Better writer.  Tongue

Haha Smile

But, yeah, the whole "god is a loving parent" thing just boggles my mind.  Loving parents are actively involved in their children's lives.  They're there, in the flesh.  They're taking their kids to sports games and dance recitals.  They're up at 3:00 AM when their kids have a fever.  They hold hands, wipe snotty noses, give kisses on cheeks, and maybe even wag a finger or two.  They're not just browbeating their kids with values, but actively living them.

God, in contrast, is a deadbeat dad who's threatening to hurt us if we don't do what he wants.  Fuck that and fuck him.
So "I love you and I will punish you if you don't love me back" is an acceptable phrase to you? It may not be the same as force, but it is manipulation through fear. Is that love?

Again, please define love in your own words.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Popcorn

I thought this was about soda volcanoes. I dont believe in gods so... theres that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What they don't teach you in Sunday School LinuxGal 19 1661 September 25, 2023 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1505 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 97437 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2491 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Fundy home school - 13 kids rescued drfuzzy 2 1031 January 16, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
Big Grin Texax High school students stand up to Atheists: Zero Atheists care Joods 16 3681 October 23, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The church in my school yard Der/die AtheistIn 12 2300 August 25, 2017 at 5:07 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Christian Teacher writes letter to school newspaper saying "Gays deserve to die" Divinity 68 20106 May 23, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  School Indoctrination zebo-the-fat 4 1455 September 7, 2016 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  working on a project loganonekenobi 15 2597 April 1, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: loganonekenobi