Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 20, 2024, 1:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faith - Can it Go Too Far?
RE: Faith - Can it Go Too Far?
(June 15, 2011 at 5:19 pm)diffidus Wrote: Extending this notion a little.

Is there anybody out there who believes that Noah lived to the ripe old age of ~900 years.

Or that he and his kin (about 8 people) built a boat out of wood the size of an enormous football stadium.

Or that Noah then filled this with two of every species living on earth.

How could these 8 people feed such a multitude let alone clean up the waste.

To believe this story, again, makes me fearful - can it really be that faith causes such self delusion?

Anything can be believed by theists if they think god was involved. All reasoning goes out the window when attempting to critique their theist beliefs. And I don't think faith causes self-delusion, it is the delusion.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Could god make his cock so long he would gag while deepthroating himself? And could he force himself to keep sucking?

It is questions like these that keep me riveted, waiting for answers to Epicurus and other thinkers.
Trying to update my sig ...
One could say faith is too far.
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
Diffidus, faith is never born except already gone too far.
Can "faith" go too far? The folks at Heaven's Gate had faith in their leaders. Who may have gone a bit too far.
Maybe their god wasn't testing for faith ....... maybe he was testing for stupidity. And Abraham passed with flying colors!

Tyrants can really make use of gullible half-wits.
[Image: Evolution.png]

The Middle East has long been a fertile proving ground for that. Western culture seems to mostly reject tyrants these days, certain former Soviet states notwithstanding.
Trying to update my sig ...
(June 16, 2011 at 1:16 am)Cinjin Wrote: Maybe their god wasn't testing for faith ....... maybe he was testing for stupidity. And Abraham passed with flying colors!

Tyrants can really make use of gullible half-wits.
Isaac was the stupid one, trusting his religious nut of a father! "Oh, god is talking to you right now? He wants us both to go up on that hill? You're supposed to bind my hands?" Dumbass!

And even stupider if he trusted his old man after that incident. "Uh, Dad, the next time God tells you to kill me, can we talk first?"
Remember Westboro Baptist church protest at funerals of "gay" soldiers? Yea religion really influences some people to take their faith too far.
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 18139 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1645 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 41581 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 3681 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 25763 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 4680 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Me too Silver 6 1466 October 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2351 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 18659 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 8233 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13