Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 12:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like some advise
RE: I would like some advise
Yes, but god is more like the the Nazi than the liberator, he wants slaves not freedom.
And can't justify it by any rational means. Might makes right and that's all there is to it under that 'moral' system. Ya-Ya also encourages them to take the untouched young girls for their wives and concubines and to slit open the stomachs of pregnant women who belong to the opposition. A bullet to the head is at least more merciful under those conditions.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
There is a difference mere mortals defeating another nation . And a god committing genocide . If you can't see that difference then that's disturbing . As for god not being a social worker to bad if he were I might respect him.

In this case the Jews acted more like the Nazis's and the Japanese . So you can't even compare the two instances
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(July 31, 2017 at 1:56 am)JackRussell Wrote: Yes, but god is more like the the Nazi than the liberator, he wants slaves not freedom.

God wants us to be his mates  and do does Jesus..Smile
"You're my friends if you follow me. I don't call you servants, but I call you friends"- (John 15:15)

[Image: jesus-friends.gif]

(July 31, 2017 at 5:55 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: There is a difference mere mortals defeating another nation . And a god committing genocide . If you can't see that difference then that's disturbing . As for god not being a social worker to bad if he were I might respect him.

In this case the Jews acted more like the Nazis's and the Japanese . So you can't even compare the two instances

If ancient heathen tribes were going around causing trouble, God simply culled them out of the human race, sounds good to me..Smile
I strongly believe in honesty as it is an ethical and often times justified thing to do. This is a situation where I feel as if somebody his age would benefit from realizing that a person can be good without a god. Children internalize things often very quickly and the sooner he realizes that there are people like us who are atheists and are good people he can learn to accept this. One of my biggest issues is the fact you go to a church. I could not fathom going back to a a masjid because everytime I hear Muslims speak of a god I just break out laughing. I cannot take anything involving it seriously. This to me is something that I cannot understand with atheists in relationships or atheists trying to keep a facade when it is practical for them to drop it.

I understand it is easy for me to talk and say this but having been in a stable relationship for some years I always know my partner's stance on matters and I was very clear from the get-go that I was an atheist and more so an anti-theist. I have no problems bringing this up to people at all although I would feel more ashamed to bring up my previous religious affiliation as it embarresses me oddly enough. I am the sort of person that feels embarrassed about ever being a theist Big Grin.

Now if your wife truly loves you I hope she can come to grips that you are not a theist and in no way shape or form a Catholic man. You should also have no restraints in calling out the ludicrous if pressured to but at the same time remain respectful. But this does involve your child and you may also wish to take into account that your child may go blabbing up and down the halls that their daddy is an atheist. Having dealt in a daycare I know full well how unrestricted children's mouths are and it is astonishing many of them cannot put it together on the effects of language.

I do think some amount of honesty is needed int his situation though. How much I cannot say since you should be able to predict the reactions better than I.
Ut supra, ita inferius
[Image: 0c112e9da4d42c24a073c335a3e38de1_zpsezmp...g~original]
Uƚ ƨuqɿɒ, iƚɒ inʇɘɿiuƨ
(July 31, 2017 at 10:12 pm)ComradeMeow Wrote: I strongly believe in honesty as it is an ethical and often times justified thing to do. This is a situation where I feel as if somebody his age would benefit from realizing that a person can be good without a god. Children internalize things often very quickly and the sooner he realizes that there are people like us who are atheists and are good people he can learn to accept this. One of my biggest issues is the fact you go to a church. I could not fathom going back to a a masjid because everytime I hear Muslims speak of a god I just break out laughing. I cannot take anything involving it seriously. This to me is something that I cannot understand with atheists in relationships or atheists trying to keep a facade when it is practical for them to drop it.

I understand it is easy for me to talk and say this but having been in a stable relationship for some years I always know my partner's stance on matters and I was very clear from the get-go that I was an atheist and more so an anti-theist. I have no problems bringing this up to people at all although I would feel more ashamed to bring up my previous religious affiliation as it embarresses me oddly enough. I am the sort of person that feels embarrassed about ever being a theist Big Grin.

Now if your wife truly loves you I hope she can come to grips that you are not a theist and in no way shape or form a Catholic man. You should also have no restraints in calling out the ludicrous if pressured to but at the same time remain respectful. But this does involve your child and you may also wish to take into account that your child may go blabbing up and down the halls that their daddy is an atheist. Having dealt in a daycare I know full well how unrestricted children's mouths are and it is astonishing many of them cannot put it together on the effects of language.

I do think some amount of honesty is needed int his situation though. How much I cannot say since you should be able to predict the reactions better than I.

I really do not mind going to mass.  Sometimes the priest comes up with a clever homily, if not then i am content to sit quietly and do nothing (I have very little opportunity to do this).  If i gave the impression that Mass was a weekly part of our schedule that is very wrong.  We made it to mass as a family about 5 times last year.  Most of the time we are busy or out of town.  It is a pretty low priority.

Before we married I frequently told my wife that I thought the catholic church is a bunch of nonsense.  We have been together for about 20 years, and I like to think we know everything we need to know about each other.  I feel like her continued belief in God and the church (granted she takes what she wants and leaves the rest) is comforting to her. This is her business not mine, I am not one of these people that has to project his opinions on other people.  Once again after 20 years she knows.

Kids mouths do run.  My oldest overheard my wife and I talking about birth control one night with another couple.  I made a statement, "The catholic church is really just interested in new Catholics, not how many we can afford."  It turned into a rather minor scandal during sex education in 6th grade.
(August 1, 2017 at 9:22 pm)Hammok Man Wrote: ...I am not one of these people that has to project his opinions on other people.

At school in the early 60's some kids were going around in shellshock telling everybody- "WOW, there was a brandnew group on TV last night called the Beatles, they were absolutely fabulous and sensational, you GOTTA check 'em out!"
We checked and yeah, we thought they were fab too..
Same with Jesus, most atheists have got the wrong idea about him, so christians naturally want them to know he's fab too...Smile
(August 3, 2017 at 12:51 am)Dropship Wrote:
(August 1, 2017 at 9:22 pm)Hammok Man Wrote: ...I am not one of these people that has to project his opinions on other people.

At school in the early 60's some kids were going around in shellshock telling everybody- "WOW, there was a brandnew group on TV last night called the Beatles, they were absolutely fabulous and sensational, you GOTTA check 'em out!"
Same with Jesus, most atheists have got the wrong idea about him, so christians naturally want them to know he's fab too...Smile
Are you recruiting now?

This is the type of behavior that i find strange.

You sought out an Atheist web forum. Found a thread asking a legitimate question of like minded people, and posted a stupid stereotypical answer.  In follow up you posted a bunch of mindless drivel about aliens, and factually incorrect history.  This post had nothing to do with either.

If I wanted the opinion of evangelical christians trust me I know where to find them, we all do.

Ill give you some advise: 

It is much better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a dip shit then to open it and remove all doubt.
(August 3, 2017 at 12:51 am)Dropship Wrote: At school in the early 60's some kids were going around in shellshock telling everybody- "WOW, there was a brandnew group on TV last night called the Beatles, they were absolutely fabulous and sensational, you GOTTA check 'em out!"

The world knew the Beatles were bigger. Suck it jesus!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 3, 2017 at 3:39 pm)Hammok Man Wrote: If I wanted the opinion of evangelical christians trust me I know where to find them, we all do.
Ill give you some advise: 
It is much better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a dip shit then to open it and remove all doubt.

You calling me an "evangelical christian" mate?
Haha, they're among my biggest opponents on the net debating circuit..Smile
You titled this thread "I would like some advise", so I simply stepped up to the plate to help, huh you try to be nice (sniffle)..
You asked- "I am curious as to if I should flat out tell my oldest (13) I do not believe in god or do I let him arrive to that conclusion on his own?"
My advice is to tell your son you're an atheist if he asks, (that's the easy part), but the difficult part will be when he asks you to explain exactly WHY you're an atheist, because then you might end up making yourself look stupid..Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16761 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Would you like to be immortal? Little Rik 188 19179 February 20, 2017 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  What would evidence of a God even look like? Excited Penguin 153 23962 September 12, 2016 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Would a story like this shock anyone I wonder? robvalue 25 4821 September 2, 2014 at 1:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I would like to speak one on one with an informed atheist. Arbitraryusername 16 4748 November 7, 2013 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Atheists: Would you like to have wings Moira 40 6860 September 25, 2013 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  So I asked some christians if they would give it their best shot at converting me Lemonvariable72 33 10608 September 6, 2013 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Would you like if all people became atheists? Simsim 61 12646 June 20, 2013 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  I Would Like To Talk to Atheists Who Aren't Assholes. Do Any of You Exist? Blackrook 98 46638 October 3, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  So I feel like having some fun this Sunday Demonaura 18 5955 January 25, 2009 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: CoxRox