Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 25, 2024, 5:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lydia Schatz - Beat to death in the name of God.
RE: Lydia Schatz - Beat to death in the name of God.
That's really terrible. Sad

"you explain to him that what he's done is violent and that that's not acceptable in society and it's not acceptable in our home"

Fucking hypocrites.
(August 20, 2011 at 12:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The downside of free speech. Any fucking lunatic can write a book.

Indeed. But I am more afraid of people who would follow what such lunatics write or say, than the actual fuckers who sprouted the nonsense in the first place.. Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Just a few more thoughts from a blog I follow:

http://www.daylightatheism.org/2011/08/t...ating.html
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(August 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Did anyone see whether the authors of that book had any kids?
I did some research and they appear to have 5 children and 18 grandchildren.

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/who-is-ngj/meet-the-pearls/

I don't doubt that the Pearls' children all beat their own offspring into submission, and I don't doubt that most of their grandchildren will do the same to their children. It's going to be an ever-growing tree of abuse...
(August 24, 2011 at 11:16 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Just a few more thoughts from a blog I follow:

http://www.daylightatheism.org/2011/08/t...ating.html

Thumb up Big fan of Ingersoll. Nice post.

Side note: My parents are Baptist fundies and I was spanked a LOT when I was a kid. A LOT! Oddly enough, even though my dad was the strict disciplinarian, it was my mom who regularly broke wooden spoons on my backside.

God damn that hurt! To this day, I can't look at a wooden spoon without a little chill runnin up my spine.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:Side note: My parents are Baptist fundies and I was spanked a LOT when I was a kid. A LOT!

My folks are Catholic, and rarely raised hand to any of us. They left that to the good nuns and brothers who beat the living shit out of us on an almost daily basis.

In the 1950's-60's,the cane was the preferred teaching aid in many Catlic schools. It was used in lieu of qualifications, competence and an aptitude for teaching.Angry
(August 20, 2011 at 10:05 am)HeyItsZeus Wrote: Leave them alone, they have the right to practice their religion as they interpret it!
That doesn't eschew pesonal responsibility, or social obligation. They obviously missed the part of 1peter-2:13-16 that told them to not go against worldy authorities. Sickening.

(August 20, 2011 at 10:37 am)FaithNoMore Wrote:
(August 20, 2011 at 10:05 am)HeyItsZeus Wrote: Leave them alone, they have the right to practice their religion as they interpret it!

Well, my religion says all child abusers shall be drawn and quartered.

Must be on that old school eye- for- an -eye- schtick Tongue

(August 20, 2011 at 1:38 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: Well they are like the god they worship. After all, he eternally tortures his disbelieving children.

If you mean theese particular people yes, they are evil and selfish, causing torment, inflicting suffering just like the maniacle god THEY worship. Luckily that's not the Bible perspective of God, unless you only read part of the book.

"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
So many Yahwehs, so many Christs, which one to choose? Decisions, decisions.
(August 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm)Cinjin Wrote: Side note: My parents are Baptist fundies and I was spanked a LOT when I was a kid. A LOT! Oddly enough, even though my dad was the strict disciplinarian, it was my mom who regularly broke wooden spoons on my backside.

God damn that hurt! To this day, I can't look at a wooden spoon without a little chill runnin up my spine.

I really couldn't tell you what my dad was raised as - they're Romanian so it could be anything at this point. He was a big believer in spanking. When we were younger we all got a few "brain dusters" up the backsides of our heads too. My mother was a spanker, until I got old enough to understand what the mother-look was (you know, the kind that makes you wish you were already 6 ft under, raised to the power of Jew-guilt). Neither one of them believed in actually beating a child (at least, in the case of my dad, not for disciplinary purposes). I was sent to my room a lot, which might account for being a bookworm. I'm personally a big proponent of labor.

Anyway, my point is - my parents didn't switch me or paddle me and I'm now a (mostly) law-abiding citizen who pays taxes and tries to control my tail-gating urges and is polite to old people and holds doors for strangers. If my parents say they need me to be somewhere, I try to be there and help them out. I don't kick puppies or kittens and I think I have a pretty well-developed sense of compassion, empathy, and forgiveness. I'm not perfect, but I know it. I try to work on the things I know are flaws, and express myself in such a way that is most befitting.

So...what did my parents do right that these Christians think shouldn't have happened without me being severely punished every time I smart mouthed (a LOT) or didn't do my chores (often) or lied (not a whole lot or about anything really bad, but still)?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
It is a curious thing. My folks would probably say, "see, it worked. You eventually turned out to be a responsible human being."

[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Israel The Name Of God? Authari 11 1534 December 31, 2022 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Astreja
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 8470 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
Bug What is this? Name that fallacy zwanzig 25 2946 October 15, 2021 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  God and Death, dying out. WinterHold 13 2504 May 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 900 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What the name of God is. Mystic 73 10479 April 13, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Abrahamic god of death and destruction Chad32 27 5332 September 11, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Something about killing in the name of atheism Dystopia 64 15409 April 19, 2015 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 21587 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Why order people to kill in god's name at all? Chad32 29 8213 February 18, 2014 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Godscreated