Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 12:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admitting You're a Sinner
RE: Admitting You're a Sinner
(January 19, 2018 at 12:14 am)Banned Wrote: If you are just a well developed worm, whose eyes grew from light sensitive warts, then why would you care about the impact of religions on your community?
Apparently it's the sort of thing that well developed worms with wart eyes do.  I mean, I don;t know why you're looking for some deeper explanation.  

Quote:A spiritual person or godly person, cares.
Why?  They're -also- overdeveloped worms with wart eyes.  It seems that..if being what we are makes us giving a shit blow your mind...it would blow your mind equally when a worm who believes in pixies did it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 18, 2018 at 7:08 pm)Banned Wrote: Atheism is attempting self hypnosis, it is trying to convince oneself of something.

Nope.  In my case it was simple incredulousness:  "You believe what?"  I never had to convince myself that I didn't believe.  In my younger years I tried to cultivate religious belief, and that failed because I knew up front that I was trying to convince myself of things that I viewed as absurd.
Quote:If you are just a well developed worm, whose eyes grew from light sensitive warts, then why would you care about the impact of religions on your community?
That statement makes even less sense . Why would i not care ? What does the status of being a "highly develped " worm to with why one should or should not care about said subject .

(FYI human are not worms you might want to learn some biology )(and eyes were never warts )

Quote:A spiritual person or godly person, cares.
Why? Why should a "spiritual person care about anything ?" let alone what a non spiritual cares about .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(January 19, 2018 at 12:22 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: No passive-aggressive tendencies in me. Just a tendency to call people on their bullshit. THIS tendency is why you don't like what I have to say.

LOL, I'm predicting that you'll end up a bittervet like me, after a few years here...when you realize that the people who you are trying to have these conversations with are just an endless procession of mildly different versions of Banned.

I used to be such a nice boy...... Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 19, 2018 at 12:22 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: ...
What you took for "passivity" from me at first was merely the fact that I didn't understand you yet. What you take for "aggression" from me now is merely me actually understanding what you actually are.

No passive-aggressive tendencies in me. Just a tendency to call people on their bullshit. THIS tendency is why you don't like what I have to say.

It doesn't matter what definition I have on atheism, because atheists are not even clear about that themselves. And I have already said why that is, it's because they are avoiding God in their minds. The Bible says - they don't like to retain the knowledge of God in their minds.
And that leaves them with various ways of doing that - philosophical, argumentative, systems of thought, cliches, processes of denial etc.
Basically they'll stand on their heads to do it.
Quote:Atheism is attempting self hypnosis, it is trying to convince oneself of somethin
Nope it requires no self convincing . Quite the opposite it not being able to convince yourself to maintain a lie.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(January 19, 2018 at 12:31 am)Banned Wrote: The Bible says 
-aaand that's why you got it predictably wrong. Magic book is full of silly bullshit like that.

Try reading a different book.
Quote:
It doesn't matter what definition I have on atheism, because atheists are not even clear about that themselves. 
Nope the differences in definition are minor ultimately it's simply not believing in theism . And none match you strawman . 

Quote:And I have already said why that is, it's because they are avoiding God in their minds. 

No you asserted a biased feel good explanation for yourself 

Quote:The Bible says - they don't like to retain the knowledge of God in their minds.
A cult shaking it's literary fist at it's foes . Means nothing .

Quote:And that leaves them with various ways of doing that - philosophical, argumentative, systems of thought, cliches, processes of denial etc.

Funny are you sure your not confusing atheists with theists . Because this sounds like projection .

Quote:
Basically they'll stand on their heads to do it.
Again this sounds like theists not atheist.The mental pretzels you people tie yourselves into to defend your fables is amazing.

Inuit Proverb

(January 19, 2018 at 12:30 am)Astreja Wrote:
(January 18, 2018 at 7:08 pm)Banned Wrote: Atheism is attempting self hypnosis, it is trying to convince oneself of something.

Nope.  In my case it was simple incredulousness:  "You believe what?"  I never had to convince myself that I didn't believe.  In my younger years I tried to cultivate religious belief, and that failed because I knew up front that I was trying to convince myself of things that I viewed as absurd.

I have no idea of what you've lived through and thought of...and I can imagine that atheism was a place of sanity, because it removed you from what was obviously absurd.

When I was faced with doubts in religious ideas, I unraveled them by further investigation of the Bible and also science.
So what some people thought was a fairly tale, I had a driven curiosity to look further, before dismissing it.
And I would not say that what I found was commonly available by any means, and it certainly was not taught by religious institutions either. So I am not surprised that many thinking people leave these dry wells.
What did you find to be a fairy tale, in magic book?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hate the sin, love the sinner mcolafson 101 16231 September 5, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  God is quite the sinner himself Kloud 38 9316 December 19, 2014 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  God loves the evil ones more than the good because he is the greatest sinner. Greatest I am 8 7699 July 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Is hell anything like -- do unto others and love the sinner? Greatest I am 11 10312 May 26, 2012 at 12:53 am
Last Post: Godscreated