Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 11:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
RE: The benefits of being christian. Where are there???
(January 25, 2018 at 12:26 am)drfuzzy Wrote:
(January 24, 2018 at 10:57 pm)Haipule Wrote:

I'm sure that I'm going to regret asking this question - but oh well.
If it's "God's Word" why has "god" allowed it to be riddled with inexcusable nonsense and manipulation?  Why so many "translation errors"?  Why is interpretation so vague that 12 preachers of the same denomination will give 12 different interpretations about what they THINK a passage says?  Why is God shown as an immoral, evil, brutal bronze age war god?  Why is god 404 not found anywhere, even to those who pray and read the book daily?

Nope.  I don't think there is anything special hidden in those pages.  And if god exists, humans certainly shouldn't have to study ancient Greek and Aramaic and ancient Hebrew to get to whatever "real" inspiration that you think you have found.  The book desperately needs a re-write, and we need to have "god" come down here and make the corrections in front of TV cameras.
All of the biblical stories illustrate the effects of following or ignoring the Ten Commandments found in Exodus chapter 34:10-28.  Verse 10 is the one that explains the purpose of the miracles.  The only commandment everyone follows is the First Commandment, about invading other people's land, destroying their religious artifacts, and enslaving or killing them.  

When you read a particular story you should be able to identify which of the Ten Commandments it's about.
(January 26, 2018 at 5:31 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(January 25, 2018 at 12:26 am)drfuzzy Wrote: I'm sure that I'm going to regret asking this question - but oh well.
If it's "God's Word" why has "god" allowed it to be riddled with inexcusable nonsense and manipulation?  Why so many "translation errors"?  Why is interpretation so vague that 12 preachers of the same denomination will give 12 different interpretations about what they THINK a passage says?  Why is God shown as an immoral, evil, brutal bronze age war god?  Why is god 404 not found anywhere, even to those who pray and read the book daily?

Nope.  I don't think there is anything special hidden in those pages.  And if god exists, humans certainly shouldn't have to study ancient Greek and Aramaic and ancient Hebrew to get to whatever "real" inspiration that you think you have found.  The book desperately needs a re-write, and we need to have "god" come down here and make the corrections in front of TV cameras.
All of the biblical stories illustrate the effects of following or ignoring the Ten Commandments found in Exodus chapter 34:10-28.  Verse 10 is the one that explains the purpose of the miracles.  The only commandment everyone follows is the First Commandment, about invading other people's land, destroying their religious artifacts, and enslaving or killing them.  

When you read a particular story you should be able to identify which of the Ten Commandments it's about.
The Decalogue are two sets of five; five toward God and five toward man.

The first one is "I am the Lord your God". A proclamation and not a command.

All the "Thou shall not(s)" are in the future tense and are also proclamations and not commands.

The first of the toward man is number 6 "Obey your parents" is written as a command.

The word translated as 'commandment' is dabar and means a word given in any capacity.

In the NT quoting Jesus saying, "Do not murder". Is not in the imperative mood of command but is in the subjunctive mood: not you-all-might-be-murdering. These are proclamations of who we are to be and not commandments.

The word dabar is translated into English by no less then 85 different words in the KJV. See the problem? I do not understand why no one in 2,000yrs has ever pointed out the future tense!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker. Well...she's not my girlfriend "yet".

I discovered a new vitamin that fights cancer. I call it ...B9

I also invented a diet pill. It works great but had to quit taking it because of the side effects. Turns out my penis is larger and my hair grew back. And whoa! If you think my hair is nice!

When does size truly matter? When it's TOO big!

I'm currently working on a new pill I call "Destenze". However...now my shoes don't fit.
(January 26, 2018 at 4:35 pm)Haipule Wrote: ...
In the NT quoting Jesus saying, "Do not murder". Is not in the imperative mood of command but is in the subjunctive mood: not you-all-might-be-murdering. These are proclamations of who we are to be and not commandments.

The word dabar is translated into English by no less then 85 different words in the KJV. See the problem? I do not understand why no one in 2,000yrs has ever pointed out the future tense!

That is profound.

The commandments seem like negative restrictions and presumptions of having guilt, but they are quite the opposite, as often said by King David and others.

They are principles of life/living/dynamic. For e.g, "Thou shalt not steal" isn't just about leaving someone's stuff alone, but about being generous, creative and productive. It's about enhancing the qualities of life.
Unfortunate Conflict Of Evidence.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(January 26, 2018 at 8:15 pm)Banned Wrote:
(January 26, 2018 at 4:35 pm)Haipule Wrote: ...

That is profound.

The commandments seem like negative restrictions and presumptions of having guilt, but they are quite the opposite, as often said by King David and others.

They are principles of life/living/dynamic. For e.g, "Thou shalt not steal" isn't just about leaving someone's stuff alone, but about being generous, creative and productive. It's about enhancing the qualities of life.
Agreed!

Yes, yes, yes, "Thou shalt not steal" is also in the future tense. Obviously, God is not saying, "Well, it's ok to steal for now but, in the future--no way pal! He is just making a proclamation of who we are to be. What we act like as His sons/daughters based upon are acceptance of His Torah(instructions) unfortunately translated as Law.

The Decalogue is more about God's love for us, why He loves us. Because this is how He has proclaimed us to be to the world! We really have no choice but to be magnificent!

God is not telling us what not to do but, who we are in His love from His perspective!

David is an excellent example. When David wasn't being that, when he was being covetous, he raped Bathsheba, got her pregnant and had her husband killed, he was being everything except the Decalogue!

Yet, he wrote Psalm 23 which proclaims the life of God's promise. And God honored David by saying, "he is a man after my own heart"!

The Decalogue merely proclaims us to the world if, will follow the instructions. David proves what happens if we don't! And that God loves us regardless! But, there will be some serious pain coming our way if we are not whom God proclaimed we are to be in His love to the rest of the world!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker. Well...she's not my girlfriend "yet".

I discovered a new vitamin that fights cancer. I call it ...B9

I also invented a diet pill. It works great but had to quit taking it because of the side effects. Turns out my penis is larger and my hair grew back. And whoa! If you think my hair is nice!

When does size truly matter? When it's TOO big!

I'm currently working on a new pill I call "Destenze". However...now my shoes don't fit.
(January 24, 2018 at 11:01 am)MysticKnight Wrote: Unbalanced, unguided, and chaotic love is the definition of evil. 

No it isn't.

evil
[ˈiːv(ə)l, ˈiːvɪl]

ADJECTIVE

1. profoundly immoral and wicked:
    "his evil deeds" ·
    [More]

synonyms: wicked · bad · wrong · morally wrong · wrongful · immoral · sinful ·
    [More]

2. (of a smell or sight) extremely unpleasant:
    "a bathroom with an ineradicably evil smell"
    synonyms: unpleasant · disagreeable · nasty · horrible · foul · filthy · vile ·
    [More]

[size=undefined]

NOUN
[/size]

1. profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force:
    "his struggle against the forces of evil"
    synonyms: wickedness · bad · badness · wrong · wrongdoing · sin · sinfulness ·
    [More]

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 26, 2018 at 4:35 pm)Haipule Wrote:
(January 26, 2018 at 5:31 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: All of the biblical stories illustrate the effects of following or ignoring the Ten Commandments found in Exodus chapter 34:10-28.  Verse 10 is the one that explains the purpose of the miracles.  The only commandment everyone follows is the First Commandment, about invading other people's land, destroying their religious artifacts, and enslaving or killing them.  

The Decalogue are two sets of five; five toward God and five toward man.

The first one is "I am the Lord your God". A proclamation and not a command.

All the "Thou shall not(s)" are in the future tense and are also proclamations and not commands.

The first of the toward man is number 6 "Obey your parents" is written as a command.

The word translated as 'commandment' is dabar and means a word given in any capacity.

If you're going to believe in the fairy tale the least you can do is to learn what the real Ten Commandmants are.  The commands in Exodus chapter 20 were verbal; they were never written on the stone tablets.  The real Ten Commandments are found in Exodus chapter 34.  If you don't know that then you will never be able to understand any of the biblical stories.  

BTW, the First Commandment tells the Israelites to invade other people's lands, destory their religious artifacts, and to engage in ethnic cleansing.  It's the most universally observed practice followed by nations throughout history.
(January 30, 2018 at 5:34 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: If you're going to believe in the fairy tale the least you can do is to learn what the real Ten Commandmants are.  The commands in Exodus chapter 20 were verbal; they were never written on the stone tablets.  The real Ten Commandments are found in Exodus chapter 34.  If you don't know that then you will never be able to understand any of the biblical stories.  

BTW, the First Commandment tells the Israelites to invade other people's lands, destory their religious artifacts, and to engage in ethnic cleansing.  It's the most universally observed practice followed by nations throughout history.

Chapter 34 says that both were written on stone as well.
The first set on stones made by God, the second on those cut by Moses.
-and I bet you think that means actual stone...instead of..you know..being a comment on their unchanging nature.  Picture moses, alone on a mountain, smoking the dank, chiseling at a rock.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I wonder if there is a way to put a thread on ignore? Every time I read this one I shudder at this part "Where are there?" Why not "When is then?" *gag*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91837 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Are there any Christian proselytizers left in this subforum? Jehanne 157 22667 October 8, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Should I tell my parents I faked being christian? Der/die AtheistIn 26 5832 January 15, 2018 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Is there another motivation for christian belief? brewer 118 18473 September 23, 2016 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: TubbyTubby
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7644 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12599 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How many christian beliebers are there? Belac Enrobso 9 2037 December 29, 2013 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Has anyone ever found a way to reconsile being Gay/Bi/Lesbien and being a Christian? pop_punks_not_dead 102 44460 February 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Rant of logic: There is no such thing as a "Christian" GateofZion 53 21681 January 5, 2013 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6428 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej