Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 8:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I believe Atheists are going to hell?
RE: Do I believe Atheists are going to hell?
(January 28, 2018 at 12:48 pm)shadow Wrote: You're quite secular for a Catholic, CL Smile

My sisters are Catholic and go by similar beliefs. It's the newer form of most Catholics here are taking. They are in the thirties, so that change in the church mabe is for the better.

As long their beliefs affect no one else, no problem.
(January 28, 2018 at 1:03 pm)LastPoet Wrote:
(January 28, 2018 at 12:48 pm)shadow Wrote: You're quite secular for a Catholic, CL Smile

My sisters are Catholic and go by similar beliefs. It's the newer form of most Catholics here are taking. They are in the thirties, so that change in the church mabe is for the better.

Hey, I like it too. The only thing that I take issue with is that these kinds of Catholics fund the Church. Catholics are what fund pedophile priest legal defense funds and glorified crusades in developing countries. That's what really irks me - people who check off the 'give some of my tax money to the Church' box, or pay their tithe, but don't actually have any reason to support the Church.

Whether or not someone privately believes in an afterlife, I couldn't care less.
Brick 
(January 28, 2018 at 1:03 pm)LastPoet Wrote:

A different observer -like me- would say: it's more of a wing-clipping that secular parties did to the Church after the French revolution.
The "illumination" period is what changed the Roman Catholic Church in my opinion; it's more of a "customized faith" now, that "satisfies the constraints of secular parties", for survival. Everybody is becoming secular, everybody is changing, so the Church must change too to survive.

If secular regimes fell; the current Catholic religion would fall too -in my opinion-; and the clipped wings would grow again; maybe even bigger than before.
(January 26, 2018 at 6:47 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(January 26, 2018 at 6:43 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Do me next.  What are my chances of getting an E afterlife ticket?  Even money?

Eh, don't know about you. You're one of the mean ones around here. Probably 30% chance for you. Now little Succie on the other hand.....

I'm next! I'm next! Where am I gonna end up? 

Big Grin
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(January 28, 2018 at 12:13 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I think you may have misunderstood. I believe that God is love and goodness, and so where those things are present God is present also. If you accept love and goodness, if you strive to live by the values of honesty, truth, generosity, humility, kindness, etc, to the best of your understanding of those things, you are unknowingly accepting God into your heart, and He is present there, imho. I am by no means saying that people who are religious or Catholic are all good people. And yes, I "attach" Catholic doctrines to God. This does not mean i think Catholic people , even the clergy, are all good people.

I knowingly don't accept your God into my heart, though I accept love and goodness because they come from us, not from fictional beings. Also, this doesn't sound much different from the "deep down, many atheists believe in God" statement some other theists tend to make. "IMHO".
It's nice that some religions have culturally evolved and are reconsidering their stance on hell. I would wager that these ideas have evolved in cultures in which religion has lost much of its political might. Back in the days, when religions were in charge they had no problem sending nonbelievers to hell. Made them experience hellfire while alive too.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(January 26, 2018 at 6:08 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Any human who when the truth is presented and has a way out of the darkness and perceives it but denies it after God's proof is settled, then yes, they belong to hell.

In other words, because I don't believe you  when you say that you have the truth, your imaginary friend has the right to torture me for eternity?

You disgust me.  Fuck you and fuck your god.
(January 28, 2018 at 4:40 pm)Joods Wrote:
(January 26, 2018 at 6:47 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Eh, don't know about you. You're one of the mean ones around here. Probably 30% chance for you. Now little Succie on the other hand.....

I'm next! I'm next! Where am I gonna end up? 

Big Grin

Hah, good luck beating my balmy 50/50 odds. I'm practically on my way to the pearly gates, unless god decides to count lying in Mafia as a sin, in which case I am SCREWED.

I love ya, but I've seen you throw out some savage roasts which may disqualify you from a CL Ticket To Heaven Tongue
I'm okay with that. I just wanted to rule over hell.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(January 28, 2018 at 5:25 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(January 26, 2018 at 6:08 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Any human who when the truth is presented and has a way out of the darkness and perceives it but denies it after God's proof is settled, then yes, they belong to hell.

In other words, because I don't believe you  when you say that you have the truth, your imaginary friend has the right to torture me for eternity?

You disgust me.  Fuck you and fuck your god.

That's the rancid heart of the issue laid open, isn't it? If I told MK that my opinion of him, in the context of my inability to persuade him of a thing, is that he deserves to burn and writhe and scream for all eternity, he would think I was an evil person for considering him lesser than me. And so would I. Yet add a teaspoon of religion into the recipe and suddenly it's fine?

Religion really does poison everything, left unchecked.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 12089 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 8020 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8686 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Going to be brutally honest [Religion Edition] dyresand 3 1425 August 25, 2016 at 5:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Am I Going To Hell? Shuffle 202 42289 August 25, 2015 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  I am actually going to create my own religion ComradeMeow 21 5410 July 15, 2015 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief Mudhammam 66 8935 April 22, 2015 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Believe in hell? well you might want to stop dyresand 6 3123 January 14, 2015 at 3:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Okay, You Were Born Gay...But You're Still Going To Hell! Nope 18 7658 December 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
Information FOR THE Atheist/Anti-Muslim/Non-Muslim, A Muslim ( Me) is going to answer you kahmed123 47 8611 October 8, 2014 at 8:37 am
Last Post: bladevalant546