Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 9:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists - I want to know what you think
RE: Theists - I want to know what you think
Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
Mister Agenda Wrote:To you, but you're widely known to be uncharitable towards atheists, so I could not give less of a shit about your opinion on the matter.

I vocally oppose atheism without invalidating the humanity atheists.

That's not what your posting history indicates, in my opinion.

This is a good example of what I'm talking about. Many atheists, particularly those who are also skeptics, are cautious about what claims they make. They don't say what you want them to say, which apparently grinds your gears to no end, and you have repeatedly impugned our integrity and motives for taking the 'lack of belief' position. It's a topic you never seem to get tired of whinging about, and every time it amounts to questioning the sincerity of the atheists you're talking to, not some abstract 'atheism'. And that's all it accomplishes: being insulting.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(May 9, 2018 at 3:39 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
Neo-Scholastic Wrote:I vocally oppose atheism without invalidating the humanity atheists.
That's not what your posting history indicates, in my opinion.

...you have repeatedly impugned our integrity and motives for taking the 'lack of belief' position. It's a topic you never seem to get tired of whinging about, and every time it amounts to questioning the sincerity of the atheists you're talking to, not some abstract 'atheism'. And that's all it accomplishes: being insulting.

In those instances, I am not disrespecting you; I just simply lack respect for you. :-)

(Now if that were not a joke and I kept repeating it while insisting that lack of respect wasn't the same as disrespect would you not seriously doubt my sincerity?)
<insert profound quote here>
Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
Mister Agenda Wrote:That's not what your posting history indicates, in my opinion.

...you have repeatedly impugned our integrity and motives for taking the 'lack of belief' position. It's a topic you never seem to get tired of whinging about, and every time it amounts to questioning the sincerity of the atheists you're talking to, not some abstract 'atheism'. And that's all it accomplishes: being insulting.

In those instances, I am not disrespecting you; I just simply lack respect for you. :-)

(Now if that were not a joke and I kept repeating it while insisting that lack of respect wasn't the same as disrespect would you not seriously doubt my sincerity?)

Touche'

I would not doubt that you sincerely lack respect for me. It's the unasked for repetition that would indicate you are going out of your way to jab me, and that would make me question your sincerity. It's not really analogous though is it, my lack of belief being impersonal, and your lack of respect adding up to disrespect through repetition? When I bring up lack of belief it's to clarify the position. Somehow I don't think that's why you would repeatedly bring up your lack of respect for me.
And just to be clear, that is only an example. I do in fact respect you.
I took the first part as a joke. Though I can be testy, I try to keep my sense of humor, and that was a good one.
@ Mister Agenda, how many time has your conversation with Neo in the last few posts been exactly what every Christian here has said to atheist. We all can blame each other for saying this or that and claim we do not disrespect the person but in reality everyone knows that at times nearly everyone here has lost their respect for someone on the opposite side. We all should just fess-up and tell it like it is and quit beating around the bush. Tensions can run high here because there are extreme opposites in opinion and everyone wants to be right and things get said, rightfully or not they hurt and anyone who denies they haven't been hurt in a conversation IMHO are not being truthful. Most Christians here want civil conversation and we try to do so because it is our nature through our belief in God and the atheist doesn't really see that they need to be civil because they believe they have no one to answer to, please do not misunderstand there are atheist here who will be civil to some Christians and some who try to be civil to everyone, atheist and Christian alike, I have two specific ones in mind but want say who so that no one gets their feelings hurt, okay. I've always wanted to have civil conversation with everyone here but at some point things break down and the trash starts. I've l have left here three times to regroup and refresh because I've found myself lowering my standard to a combative stance and it has bothered me because I know it's not who God wants me to be. Bantering back and forth about who did what to whom is no solution, it only contributes to continued battling, we are for the most part adults here and we should stop being children and have conversation in an adult like way, civil. Many atheist say that Christians here are only following goat herders, which is a reference to the crude and uneducated, yet they act like what they claim we are, this is no way to treat people no matter how much they disagree with what we believe. So I am saying to everyone let's get along as fellow human beings and not a bunch of squabbling apes. I believe this has been a good group of Christians and if we were to leave then what would you all do. I can tell you from the behavior you have demonstrated, fight and quarrel. This is exactly why I will not participate in Christian forums, there is no place for that kind of behavior in a forum where they profess a belief in the living God. Almost all Christian forums will jack atheist out so they do not have to deal with their questions and then that leaves them to themselves and then inevitably bad behavior breaks out, it would be no different here. 

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 10, 2018 at 12:49 am)Godscreated Wrote: Most Christians here want civil conversation and we try to do so because it is our nature through our belief in God and the atheist doesn't really see that they need to be civil because they believe they have no one to answer to…

…in the same way Christians get called hypocrites because they often fail to represent Christ by those who adhere to personal standards based only on their subjective whims.

(May 10, 2018 at 12:49 am)Godscreated Wrote: Many atheist say that Christians here are only following goat herders, which is a reference to the crude and uneducated, yet they act like what they claim we are, this is no way to treat people no matter how much they disagree with what we believe.

Far too many atheists repeatedly refer to our most deeply held convictions and sacred beliefs with comments about “goat herders”, “sky daddy”, “tooth fairy”, “cosmic zombie Jew”, and the like. They justify it by saying that they are not calling ridiculing us personally or Christians or as a whole. They claim they are merely mocking ridiculous ideas and beliefs. It reminds me of a smart-ass dweeb pointing his finger inches from your face and shouting “I’m not touching you!”, “I’m not touching you!”
(May 7, 2018 at 1:54 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: Find some people you consider good Christians (not me apparently) and ask them for their personal testimony. Apologetics are all fine and good, but the most compelling argument for the Christian faith is how it changes the lives those who embrace it.
I'm surrounded by high caliber christians.  I sleep in bed with one, lol.  I don;t see how that is supposed to lead me to believe what they believe, though?

There are alot of good people in the world who believe alot of things.  Some of those things are mutually exclusive.  If seeing decent people and the effect of their beliefs on their life are meant to lend credibility to the contents of those beliefs we'd still be at an impasse.  Essentially, trading one problem for another and getting no closer to terminus in the process....with no requirement of their specific beliefs involved established by the simple fact of them holding disparate beliefs and achieving the same effects. I achieve those effects, as well...with no god beliefs.

I;ve always thought that a personal experience would be the most compelling, myself. This is what established the comfortable peace between my father in law and I, for example. He once asked me what it would take for me to believe in gods. I told him it would take exactly the experience that many christians describe but that I haven't yet been a party too. It;s easy to understand why they believe what they believe..right -or- wrong, and I;m not different from them in any way relevant to how compelling a personal experience would be.

Unfortunately, I don;t think that experience is communicable (for whatever reason). It gets lost in translation. Hearing about the big fish that got away and catching one are different, in any case.

As far as your frustrations..maybe you should internalize less and let god be angry for himself more? You might even start to come off like a high caliber christian for a change.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Godscreated Wrote:@ Mister Agenda, how many time has your conversation with Neo in the last few posts been exactly what every Christian here has said to atheist. We all can blame each other for saying this or that and claim we do not disrespect the person but in reality everyone knows that at times nearly everyone here has lost their respect for someone on the opposite side. We all should just fess-up and tell it like it is and quit beating around the bush. Tensions can run high here because there are extreme opposites in opinion and everyone wants to be right and things get said, rightfully or not they hurt and anyone who denies they haven't been hurt in a conversation IMHO are not being truthful. Most Christians here want civil conversation and we try to do so because it is our nature through our belief in God and the atheist doesn't really see that they need to be civil because they believe they have no one to answer to, please do not misunderstand there are atheist here who will be civil to some Christians and some who try to be civil to everyone, atheist and Christian alike, I have two specific ones in mind but want say who so that no one gets their feelings hurt, okay. I've always wanted to have civil conversation with everyone here but at some point things break down and the trash starts. I've l have left here three times to regroup and refresh because I've found myself lowering my standard to a combative stance and it has bothered me because I know it's not who God wants me to be. Bantering back and forth about who did what to whom is no solution, it only contributes to continued battling, we are for the most part adults here and we should stop being children and have conversation in an adult like way, civil. Many atheist say that Christians here are only following goat herders, which is a reference to the crude and uneducated, yet they act like what they claim we are, this is no way to treat people no matter how much they disagree with what we believe. So I am saying to everyone let's get along as fellow human beings and not a bunch of squabbling apes. I believe this has been a good group of Christians and if we were to leave then what would you all do. I can tell you from the behavior you have demonstrated, fight and quarrel. This is exactly why I will not participate in Christian forums, there is no place for that kind of behavior in a forum where they profess a belief in the living God. Almost all Christian forums will jack atheist out so they do not have to deal with their questions and then that leaves them to themselves and then inevitably bad behavior breaks out, it would be no different here. 

GC

What I'm hearing is that I shouldn't expect better from Christians than I do from atheists. I agree with you on that point. Angel

Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
Godscreated Wrote:Most Christians here want civil conversation and we try to do so because it is our nature through our belief in God and the atheist doesn't really see that they need to be civil because they believe they have no one to answer to…

…in the same way Christians get called hypocrites because they often fail to represent Christ by those who adhere to personal standards based only on their subjective whims.

Godscreated Wrote:Many atheist say that Christians here are only following goat herders, which is a reference to the crude and uneducated, yet they act like what they claim we are, this is no way to treat people no matter how much they disagree with what we believe.

Far too many atheists repeatedly refer to our most deeply held convictions and sacred beliefs with comments about “goat herders”, “sky daddy”, “tooth fairy”, “cosmic zombie Jew”, and the like. They justify it by saying that they are not calling ridiculing us personally or Christians or as a whole. They claim they are merely mocking ridiculous ideas and beliefs. It reminds me of a smart-ass dweeb pointing his finger inches from your face and shouting “I’m not touching you!”, “I’m not touching you!”

Because a moral philosophy that isn't yours is a 'subjective whim'. Jerkoff

You've a point about the childish terms.
(May 10, 2018 at 11:18 am)Khemikal Wrote: As far as your frustrations..maybe you should internalize less and let god be angry for himself more?  

Good advice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1463 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 4895 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 2208 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  How You Know This Shit Was Written By Men! Minimalist 48 12058 January 4, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2419 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I know what you did last summer. Czechlervitz30 6 1935 August 9, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What do you think of William Lane Craig? Jehanne 196 29454 January 31, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Theists i want a quick forum chat with you dyresand 24 6963 July 25, 2015 at 2:03 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Did you know god is a lair so is jesus dyresand 18 4919 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christians/Theists... why is it that ya'll think Harry Potter "bad" xr34p3rx 86 25706 November 5, 2014 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Jenny A