Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 23, 2024, 12:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Hell and Forgiveness
RE: On Hell and Forgiveness
(September 13, 2018 at 11:36 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 13, 2018 at 11:30 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: If I owed you a dollar, and gave you three quarters, I’m guessing that the objective nature of the number 4 would be cleared up pretty quickly.   Maybe you wouldn’t be too concerned about a quarter but, but we can always increase the value.

No, it wouldn't. But by all means, further underscore my opinion of you as an idiot.

Cool... can you lend me a thousand dollars. When I pay you back one dollar and call it the same, it’s good to know you won’t dispute it?

Actually I suspect that this is just another case of an atheist not understanding what is meant by objective in the ontological sense. However I don’t see how a number in the other sense can be subjective either.

Edit: or in other words, we’re not talking about the same thing.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(September 13, 2018 at 11:13 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Fine.  Show me an example of the number four existing in the universe.

LOL, so in a debate about the existence of non-physical objects, of which the number 4 is an example, you'll only be satisfied if someone produces the number 4 as a physical object. Yeah...that sounds reasonable.
<insert profound quote here>
(September 13, 2018 at 11:48 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(September 13, 2018 at 11:13 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: Fine.  Show me an example of the number four existing in the universe.

LOL, so in a debate about the existence of non-physical objects, of which the number 4 is an example, you'll only be satisfied if someone produces the number 4 as a physical object. Yeah...that sounds reasonable.

Produce an abstract concept independent of mind then. I'll wait.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 13, 2018 at 11:48 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:

It seems to me, that the number or quantity of something is the same, no matter if you call it four or quatro. Whether you are talking about dollars, pesos or euros; apples or oranges. Unless you are talking bolivars in which case four is essentially equal to zero. Smile
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(September 13, 2018 at 11:52 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 13, 2018 at 11:48 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: LOL, so in a debate about the existence of non-physical objects, of which the number 4 is an example, you'll only be satisfied if someone produces the number 4 as a physical object. Yeah...that sounds reasonable.

Produce an abstract concept independent of mind then.  I'll wait.

That's easy.

"4" will be an abstract concept in the 'mind' of another abstract concept (i.e., Yahweh). 

Right, Neo?  Tongue
(September 13, 2018 at 11:42 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(September 13, 2018 at 11:36 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: No, it wouldn't.  But by all means, further underscore my opinion of you as an idiot.

Cool... can you lend me a thousand dollars. When I pay you back one dollar and call it the same, it’s good to know you won’t dispute it?  

Actually I suspect that this is just another case of an atheist not understanding what is meant by objective in the ontological sense.  However I don’t see how a number in the other sense can be subjective either.

Feel free to enlighten me about what objective means in the ontological sense.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I will re-phrase. The concept of 4 objects is, well...objective. It is what we mean in every day language, but put more precisely.
(September 13, 2018 at 11:59 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 13, 2018 at 11:42 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Cool... can you lend me a thousand dollars. When I pay you back one dollar and call it the same, it’s good to know you won’t dispute it?  

Actually I suspect that this is just another case of an atheist not understanding what is meant by objective in the ontological sense.  However I don’t see how a number in the other sense can be subjective either.

Feel free to enlighten me about what objective means in the ontological sense.

It means that it’s nature is based on something outside of and independent of the subject. Whereas subjective would be based on and dependent of the subject such as tastes or feelings. It’s like the sci-fi shows, where they always use numbers to communicate with ET, because numbers are a universal and not dependent on us.
(September 13, 2018 at 11:52 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(September 13, 2018 at 11:48 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: LOL, so in a debate about the existence of non-physical objects, of which the number 4 is an example, you'll only be satisfied if someone produces the number 4 as a physical object. Yeah...that sounds reasonable.

Produce an abstract concept independent of mind then.  I'll wait.

First define what you mean by mind.
<insert profound quote here>
(September 13, 2018 at 12:19 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: First define what you mean by mind.

That thing you lack? Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GoodFight310 and the visions of Hell Ah_Hyug 0 827 September 20, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Ah_Hyug
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 35733 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hello and question about hell Kyro 80 6560 August 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 52940 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog
  Sin & Forgiveness miaharun 119 17746 November 16, 2015 at 4:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 7723 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why a heaven and hell couldn't exist. dyresand 16 5866 April 5, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Exclamation Hell and the Play Nice Christian Cinjin 202 34890 February 26, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal .. Brakeman 130 27609 December 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 7269 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris