Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal ..
Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal ..
Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal, and given the fact that we are a massively multicellular organism that refreshes its cellular make-up by cell die-off and replacement every 7 years or so, could it not be that the old cellular body that I once had as a christian will go to heaven, but the cellular body that I have now, as an atheist, will go to hell? Why would god punish the old dead me for the actions of the later current me?
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal ..
(December 10, 2014 at 8:50 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal, and given the fact that we are a massively multicellular organism that refreshes its cellular make-up by cell die-off and replacement every 7 years or so, could it not be that the old cellular body that I once had as a christian will go to heaven, but the cellular body that I have now, as an atheist, will go to hell? Why would god punish the old dead me for the actions of the later current me?

You just want the best of both worlds.

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
And since we're all star stuff...
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(December 10, 2014 at 8:52 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(December 10, 2014 at 8:50 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal, and given the fact that we are a massively multicellular organism that refreshes its cellular make-up by cell die-off and replacement every 7 years or so, could it not be that the old cellular body that I once had as a christian will go to heaven, but the cellular body that I have now, as an atheist, will go to hell? Why would god punish the old dead me for the actions of the later current me?

You just want the best of both worlds.

Tongue
I admit it, I do! I like to mess with theist's minds as they try to comprehend that we die every day, and over a long lifetime we gradually melt away through many bodies. The primitive goat herders that wrote the bible had no clue that we were multicellular, nor did they know of any of the micro-organisms that make our biological world work. Without the micro-organisms to aid in digestion and to keep harmful microbes at bay, every bit of upper life would be dead.
Yet Genesis doesn't mention the bulk of all life. How ignorant the story is!
Are you saying we are literally not the same people we were ten or so years ago?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 10, 2014 at 9:06 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Are you saying we are literally not the same people we were ten or so years ago?

Yes, literally. So why should god punish the old dead Chad32? The Chad32 of ten years ago is just as dead as the last Chad32 will be when he dies. Why would the soul of one Chad32 have to be passed on to the next Chad32? If you were cloned, which Chad32 would get the Soul? Do identical twins get half of the original blastocyst's soul?
I'm sure this is far deeper stuff than the Jews and gentiles of old considered when they wrote those books.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

you are onto something and yes god by this system couldn't damn anyone to hell.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 10, 2014 at 9:13 pm)Brakeman Wrote:
(December 10, 2014 at 9:06 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Are you saying we are literally not the same people we were ten or so years ago?
Yes, literally.
In this scenerio the concept of personhood has no meaning. If you extend that line of reasoning then there is no continuity of self, in which case there is no self to go anywhere at all.
(December 10, 2014 at 10:46 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(December 10, 2014 at 9:13 pm)Brakeman Wrote: Yes, literally.
In this scenerio the concept of personhood has no meaning. If you extend that line of reasoning then there is no continuity of self, in which case there is no self to go anywhere at all.

Unfortunately there are rather compelling arguments that that is so.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1933 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is there free will in Heaven? zwanzig 54 4384 April 12, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  GoodFight310 and the visions of Hell Ah_Hyug 0 780 September 20, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Ah_Hyug
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 28156 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2297 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  On Hell and Forgiveness LadyForCamus 977 86309 October 19, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: kelseck
  Hello and question about hell Kyro 80 5134 August 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5442 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5503 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13616 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich