Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On Hell and Forgiveness
On Hell and Forgiveness
Why does god feel compelled to eternally punish only those folks who don’t love him back?  Why is that sin the only unforgivable one, and why isn’t it forgivable?  I have heard of hell described by Christians as a “self-imposed exile.”  If I were to die tomorrow and realize I was wrong, and I begged god for forgiveness but he refused, how could my exile be considered self-imposed?  It’s not self-imposed if god is actively preventing me from being with him.  

Does god love the folks in hell?  If he does, and they are in agony for being separated from him, what logical or moral reason is there for god to keep them ostracized?  That sounds like the opposite of a forgiving god. It sounds to me like someone who holds grudges.

Christians, would you do this to your own children?  If your child ran away, and came back a month later, filthy and in tears, saying, “mommy/daddy I miss you so much. I’m so alone and afraid. I’m sorry I left; I just want to come home and cuddle with you on the couch,” would you tell them it’s ‘too late’, and shut the door in their face for good?  Why or why not?

Why is being loved back the most important thing to god; even more important than how we treat each other during life?  Even more important than how his chosen priesthood treat their children?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
RE: On Hell and Forgiveness
LFC, I cant say I know for sure how it all works, neither is it my judgement to make. But I do hope very much that God takes those who upon dying realize their mistakes (whatever they were) and feel a genuine sense of remorse.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
No form of hell is just 

No from of forgiveness is needed
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

It's retarded to suggest that you should love some sky daddy to avoid punishment. It only will provoke rebellion like it did with Lucifer and his buddies.
(August 27, 2018 at 12:32 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: LFC, I cant say I know for sure how it all works, neither is it my judgement to make. But I do hope very much that God takes those who upon dying realize their mistakes (whatever they were) and feel a genuine sense of remorse.

Thanks for your honest answer as always, CL. ❤️  Let me ask you, what if you knew that he didn’t?  Would you still regard him as perfectly moral and worthy of worship?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Christians. Endorsing thought crime since 33 A.D.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(August 27, 2018 at 12:21 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: If I were to die tomorrow and realize I was wrong, and I begged god for forgiveness but he refused, how could my exile be considered self-imposed?

Dante’s Inferno poetically presents the answer. Those in Hell love sinning more than they love God and thus cannot turn toward the Good and Truth that could otherwise be theirs. You would be begging to enter Heaven but asking to take your sin in with you. It is like the proverbial monkey trap. The monkey won’t drop the fruit bait and as such, he cannot pull his fist out of the narrow hole in the coconut.
<insert profound quote here>
Quote:Dante’s Inferno poetically presents the answer.
Dante’s Inferno is a absurd book of nonsense 

Quote: Those in Hell love sinning more than they love God and thus cannot turn toward the Good and Truth that could otherwise be theirs. 
Those in hell were likely never given a good reason to love you ludicrous sky tyrant let alone believe he's good or the truth 

Quote:You would be begging to enter Heaven but asking to take your sin in with you.
Considering the concept of heaven is just awful as Hell no sane person would beg for it and your god is a petty asshole .

Quote: It is like the proverbial monkey trap. The monkey won’t drop the fruit bait and as such, he cannot pull his fist out of the narrow hole in the coconut.
No it's more like a man on a cliff side with a gun by a mob boss  being told trust the mob boss for no reason  or fall.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

God says "love me or else" What a nice way to treat people Sad
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(August 27, 2018 at 12:53 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Christians.  Endorsing thought crime since 33 A.D.
Yup if you don't the right think god punishes you .If don't like the concept of being his bottom bitch your punished .

The language of the Apologetics of hell and Christian "justice " is the language of Stockholm syndrome.

The Judeo Christian god is one part dead beat dad and one part abusive husband

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GoodFight310 and the visions of Hell Ah_Hyug 0 780 September 20, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Ah_Hyug
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 28153 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hello and question about hell Kyro 80 5134 August 11, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 45285 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog
  Sin & Forgiveness miaharun 119 14945 November 16, 2015 at 4:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 6987 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why a heaven and hell couldn't exist. dyresand 16 5444 April 5, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Exclamation Hell and the Play Nice Christian Cinjin 202 30337 February 26, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal .. Brakeman 130 24431 December 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.) Strider 25 6749 December 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: abaris