Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello and question about hell
Hello and question about hell
Hello folks,
my name is Kyro and I am new to this site. I joined because in truth, I am agnostic but this thing that I have read about has given me questions. I want to know if people on this site who refer to themselves as "atheists" would believe that this story contributes to the possibility of an eternal hell. I have attached the most important parts:

A patient was dying, kept having a flag eeg, coming to, blacking out, coming to and said everytime he was "out" he saw hell. Then Rawlings, a medical doctor told him to pray and say he believed in Jesus, suddenly the guy's eeg went flat again, he saw heaven. He also became an evagalist. Does this prove hell?

This is what the article states:

Rawlings told the story of his patient who collapsed during a stress test, and “before we could stop the machine, he dropped dead.”

"Rawlings told the story of his patient who collapsed during a stress test, and “before we could stop the machine, he dropped dead.”
Well, apparently not completely dead, because in the patient’s own words,
“When I came to, Dr. Rawlings was giving me CPR, and he asked me what was the matter, because I was looking so scared. I told him that I had been to hell and I need help! He said to me, ‘keep your hell to yourself, I’m a doctor and I’m trying to save your life, you need a minister for that.’ … And I would fade out every so often, so then he would focus CPR again and bring me back…Whenever I would come back to my body, I kept asking, “Please help me, please help me, I don’t want to go back to hell.” Soon a nurse named Pam said, “He needs help, do something!” At that time, Dr. Rawlings told me to repeat this short prayer. “I believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Jesus, save my soul. Keep me alive. If I die, please keep me out of hell!”
The experience of the patient, Charles McKaig, then became pleasant, and he reported seeing his deceased mother and stepmother and being surrounded and comforted by the Holy Spirit. Upon awakening, he was an immediate evangelical Christian.
In Rawlings words, “After this was all over, I realized what really happened. It was a double conversion. Not only had this make-believe prayer converted this atheist … it had also converted this atheist doctor that was working on him”

Now, in my words, I just cannot imagine how someone who keeps "dying" and "coming back" so many times could have a brain capable of creating such a vivid hellish experience, then when he prays to Christ he sees heaven. Does this not prove hell?
RE: Hello and question about hell
He was only "mostly dead." There's a difference between "mostly dead" and "all dead." So the witness isn't credible.
It proves people are highly susceptible to suggestion. I don't see what else it really says.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
"Not completely dead" = "alive."

Sounds like the kind of retarded shit that xhristards always put out to keep scaring themselves into believing utter nonsense.
Everyone has weird dreams. People whose brains are being deprived of oxygen have weirder dreams.
He wasn’t dead.

Humans in that condition are highly suggestible, so a vision of “hell” can be easily explained depending on the patient’s background.

Amazing isn’t it, that people who have these “visions” see whatever heaven or hell they’re culturally conditioned to “see”?

You’ll never hear a story of a Muslim or someone raised in a Muslim majority country, experiencing the “afterlife” of a Christian or Hindu. Just as you’d never hear a story of a Hindu or Christian seeing the Muslim “afterlife”.

Cultural conditioning is a wonderful thing.
Dying to live, living to die.
Lol, none of you guys can claim to know for certain what someone else experienced, doesn't stop you from offering wild speculations though...

What happened to "I don't know"?
I don't know what you're talking about.
(August 6, 2018 at 11:02 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Lol, none of you guys can claim to know for certain what someone else experienced, doesn't stop you from offering wild speculations though...

Hugs,

Nobody is saying this guy didn't experience something. But the experience itself proves nothing about the existence of an afterlife.
(August 6, 2018 at 11:02 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Lol, none of you guys can claim to know for certain what someone else experienced, doesn't stop you from offering wild speculations though...

Isn’t everyone who reads the passages of the bible that are unclear speculating what the passage is about? Interpreting it with their own personal bias?
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GoodFight310 and the visions of Hell Ah_Hyug 0 782 September 20, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Ah_Hyug
  On the subject of Hell and Salvation Alternatehistory95 278 28225 March 10, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  On Hell and Forgiveness LadyForCamus 977 88494 October 19, 2018 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: kelseck
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5831 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  Hell and God cant Co-exist. Socratic Meth Head 440 45710 June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: madog
  A question about hell Lemonvariable72 102 13299 December 1, 2015 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What the Hell,is Hell anyway? Vern Cliff 31 6997 October 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Why a heaven and hell couldn't exist. dyresand 16 5467 April 5, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Exclamation Hell and the Play Nice Christian Cinjin 202 30464 February 26, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Since Heaven and Hell are not temporal .. Brakeman 130 24548 December 19, 2014 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: IATIA