Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 3, 2024, 6:26 am

Poll: Is the backlash against Liam Neeson's remarks justified?
This poll is closed.
Yes, definitely
30.00%
6 30.00%
It's a bit excessive.
10.00%
2 10.00%
No, absolutely not.
45.00%
9 45.00%
Whatever
15.00%
3 15.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations
RE: Liam Neeson: Rape, Revenge, and Race Relations
(February 15, 2019 at 5:23 am)PRJA93 Wrote: This is why I opt out of these conversations early. 16 pages later and no one's really listening to one another or making any real progress in the conversation. It's as if people are more worried about having the last word than having a real discussion. Without naming names, some of you don't seem to be even reading what others are writing. This is all pointless. AF has spoken, most people feel the outrage wasn't justified.

16 people have voted so far. Not exactly a large enough sample size. Voting is not very well controlled as well AFAIK. Not that it matters anyway. AF can collectively say whatever it wants, whether it agrees with one position or another, but it's the voice of reason that matters, not what the majority of people says.
(February 15, 2019 at 8:58 am)Grandizer Wrote:
(February 15, 2019 at 5:23 am)PRJA93 Wrote: This is why I opt out of these conversations early. 16 pages later and no one's really listening to one another or making any real progress in the conversation. It's as if people are more worried about having the last word than having a real discussion. Without naming names, some of you don't seem to be even reading what others are writing. This is all pointless. AF has spoken, most people feel the outrage wasn't justified.

16 people have voted so far. Not exactly a large enough sample size. Voting is not very well controlled as well AFAIK. Not that it matters anyway. AF can collectively say whatever it wants, whether it agrees with one position or another, but it's the voice of reason that matters, not what the majority of people says.

It seems to me the majority are in favor of a moderate response to a comment that was a bit strange but probably not intended to project malice.
AF Is a forum. It doesn't agree or disagree with anything.
(February 15, 2019 at 1:47 pm)Shell B Wrote: AF Is a forum. It doesn't agree or disagree with anything.

No, but polls do. But I agree with Grandizer. . . 16 is such a small sample size that it doesn't mean too much.

I'd say if you went on active posters on the internet, then by far most of them are against what Neeson said, and many of those against Neeson. I don't think they should be, but that's where opinion seems to be at.
I never claimed 16 people was an adequate "sample size." This is also not some double-blind study with a control group, etc. I'm simply saying that so far, most people don't seem to think the outrage was justified. I actually voted for "It's a bit excessive," which means I DO understand the backlash, to an extent.

The problem is, some of you guys simply want to wholly condemn Neeson and you've apparently decided that anyone who doesn't wholly condemn Neeson with you is also a closet racist, which is completely moronic and is part of what makes having conversations about these topics hard. YOU GUYS are the ones creating a rift in those of us that are part of the left. It's either buy into your dogma 100% or be deemed a racist. It's complete nonsense and I refuse to stand for it.

This conversation has made no progress in 16 pages because of the all-or-nothing attitude you guys want everyone to adopt. It's ridiculous.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(February 16, 2019 at 3:56 am)PRJA93 Wrote: The problem is, some of you guys simply want to wholly condemn Neeson and you've apparently decided that anyone who doesn't wholly condemn Neeson with you is also a closet racist, which is completely moronic and is part of what makes having conversations about these topics hard.

Bringing up covert racism or, as some others put it, casual racism and acknowledging that many of us speak from a perspective of privilege that blinds us from seeing the struggles the unprivileged go through does make conversations about these topics hard. It doesn't mean we should stop pointing this out and instead be politically correct. If you're against PC bullshit, then let's be real and let's really talk about racism and privilege. Let's not falsely credit self-absorbed assholes like Liam (who just happens to be white man) with trying to start the conversation about racism when he himself didn't even intend it to be about racism, and when these conversations have been happening for quite a while by the people you like to speak out against.

Quote:YOU GUYS are the ones creating a rift in those of us that are part of the left. It's either buy into your dogma 100% or be deemed a racist. It's complete nonsense and I refuse to stand for it.

I understand people feel this way when they are blinded by their own privilege. They think they're the heroes who can do no wrong, and that there must be something wrong with the way of thinking of "the others".

Quote:This conversation has made no progress in 16 pages because of the all-or-nothing attitude you guys want everyone to adopt. It's ridiculous.

This conversation has made no progress because you're not really listening to what some of us are saying. It's unfortunate, but expected.
(February 16, 2019 at 3:56 am)PRJA93 Wrote: I never claimed 16 people was an adequate "sample size." This is also not some double-blind study with a control group, etc. I'm simply saying that so far, most people don't seem to think the outrage was justified. I actually voted for "It's a bit excessive," which means I DO understand the backlash, to an extent.

The problem is, some of you guys simply want to wholly condemn Neeson and you've apparently decided that anyone who doesn't wholly condemn Neeson with you is also a closet racist, which is completely moronic and is part of what makes having conversations about these topics hard. YOU GUYS are the ones creating a rift in those of us that are part of the left. It's either buy into your dogma 100% or be deemed a racist. It's complete nonsense and I refuse to stand for it.  

This conversation has made no progress in 16 pages because of the all-or-nothing attitude you guys want everyone to adopt. It's ridiculous.

I actually haven't seen this all-or-nothing condemnation thing you speak of in this thread; at least, not from those who feel the backlash was justified a degree. 
I certainly made no calls that EVERYONE must boycott NEESON now or they are a racist, white supremacist. In fact, I made it quite clear that that is not my view at all. However I DID suggest that the odd folks who go into attack mode any such subjects are brought up and IMMEDIATELY castigate others who vocalize that they DO happen to perceive the man as racist are vile, SJWs who are "ruining everything", are indeed quite suspect themselves.

I believe I used the term "hit dogs will holler". I stand by that personal assessment. 

It is indeed my opinion.
(February 6, 2019 at 8:50 am)Yonadav Wrote: When the issue becomes too political rationality goes out the window. Liam Neeson is basically admitting to being a normal male in a culture where cracking heads has been a pretty common practice. Do you think that some Ulster heads wouldn't be randomly cracked in response to a nice Catholic girl being assaulted by a Protestant perp?

So Neeson spent a week being an angry irrational racist because he was outraged at the crime that had been committed against someone that he deeply cared about, and the only thing that he knew about the perpetrator was that they were black, and he just wanted to lash out at anyone who generally matched that description. Yeah, that's totally normal. Why the hell would we pretend that it's not? He recognized what a nasty rabbit hole he was going to go down, and he stepped back from it like your average sane person.

But it's a politically super-charged issue, so bring on the sanctimonious libtards.

If it's totally normal, why don't you see people saying this about... white people? 

"A white man raped a woman today."

Nobody who cares or loves about that person immediately thinks "I'm going to go beat the SHIT out of the first white person I see!  They generally match the description!"

It's 100% irrational and 100% racist.  Nobody hears their loved one was raped or murdered by a man with a beard, and then wants to go and beat up and/or kill the first person with a beard they see.  Beating up innocent people is NOT rational or normal.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(February 16, 2019 at 11:21 am)Cecelia Wrote:
(February 6, 2019 at 8:50 am)Yonadav Wrote: When the issue becomes too political rationality goes out the window. Liam Neeson is basically admitting to being a normal male in a culture where cracking heads has been a pretty common practice. Do you think that some Ulster heads wouldn't be randomly cracked in response to a nice Catholic girl being assaulted by a Protestant perp?

So Neeson spent a week being an angry irrational racist because he was outraged at the crime that had been committed against someone that he deeply cared about, and the only thing that he knew about the perpetrator was that they were black, and he just wanted to lash out at anyone who generally matched that description. Yeah, that's totally normal. Why the hell would we pretend that it's not? He recognized what a nasty rabbit hole he was going to go down, and he stepped back from it like your average sane person.

But it's a politically super-charged issue, so bring on the sanctimonious libtards.

If it's totally normal, why don't you see people saying this about... white people? 

"A white man raped a woman today."

Nobody who cares or loves about that person immediately thinks "I'm going to go beat the SHIT out of the first white person I see!  They generally match the description!"

It's 100% irrational and 100% racist.  Nobody hears their loved one was raped or murdered by a man with a beard, and then wants to go and beat up and/or kill the first person with a beard they see.  Beating up innocent people is NOT rational or normal.

Wow. You totally missed the part where I pointed out that Neeson grew up in a culture where white people were attacking other white people for racist reasons all the time. And you missed the part where I said that Neeson's rage toward black people was irrational and it was racist. And if you think that no black person has ever wanted to go out and assault some random white person, you are delusional. This nasty tendency is in all of us. There are the lies that we tell to ourselves and others, and there is the truth. Neeson has tried to have an honest discussion about the truth. The truth is that we all have monsters inside of us and we should be able to talk about our experiences with them so that we can maybe learn to handle our monsters better and treat others fairly despite our inner monsters.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
Neeson disagrees.  He doesn't know wtf you're talking about, why anyone would link his comments to -silent word-, or why anyone would think he was a -silent word-. If you want to talk about "monsters inside of us" then that's a different discussion.

IDK, I've known people who didn't seem to have any such monsters at all. Most people I know, really. The idea that we're all monstrous or terrible in some vague way is popular, and fun to play with...plenty of good jokes to be had. I don't think it's an accurate appraisal of what we are, personally. I'd lay most human misery on apathy and opportunity, rather any monstrous sub-current. Even -silent word- largely expresses itself as apathy rather than antipathy. All the shittiness, none of the effort, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Head of WHO plays the "Race Card." Can you guess if he's black looking? Duty 9 801 April 14, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  More Race Hysteria from SJW's Neo-Scholastic 260 31119 October 14, 2017 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Michigan Pedophile Rapist Gets joint custody of son of one of his rape victims Divinity 23 6395 October 10, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  The Cheeto in Chief apparently wants to rape our national monuments Jackalope 2 842 April 26, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Aroura
  Vote Rigging Discovered In Canadian Tory Leadership Race Amarok 0 534 March 17, 2017 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  BTW, that's gang rape, not misdemeanor assault vorlon13 76 10436 December 14, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  British woman 'arrested in Dubai after reporting rape' zebo-the-fat 28 3761 November 19, 2016 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  How the fuck is there a statute of limitations for rape in New York? Pat Mustard 783 77949 October 25, 2016 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Catholic Church Opposes Removing Statute of Limitations for Child Rape SteelCurtain 89 9846 May 1, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Amherst Student Was Expelled for Rape. But He Was Raped, Evidence Shows. ErGingerbreadMandude 23 4770 December 24, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet