Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 4:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
RE: Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity
(July 15, 2019 at 1:04 pm)tackattack Wrote:
(July 11, 2019 at 4:50 pm)Losty Wrote:

Sounds like you handled it well, even with the unnecessary threat attached.
I understand that now (since 2007 I believe)it is not legal by the First Amendment. It does not guarantee the right to direct messages at people who will find them deeply hurtful, and who have no effective means of simply tuning them out. That coupled with the privilege of being in the majority and the historical organizational acceptance of the practice of prayer at this sporting event, and coupled with the fact no intention of being hurtful wasn't present, I didn't see it as wrong. Perhaps I find it most problematic that prayer in this legal context is something people would find hurtful or forced. I've never been part of a prayer that was hurtful or forced, public or private. If you've ever coached kids, you know they can tune out about anything in the 6 seconds that is a huddle and often do. Maybe a reprimand, to be PC, but not removed from coaching entirely to save face.

I believe in corporate prayer. I also believe in private prayer. Both have their uses. Neither should be for show, which wasn't the intent of the huddle prayer. Nowadays, I coach upwards sports when I coach. I don't think they'd have a problem with me choosing not to pray, as I wouldn't have a problem with someone choosing to pray or not to pray. The only difference is the expectation of God to be in the conversation and methods.

That's my overall point. While legally nowadays it's not acceptable legally to make someone uncomfortable in a captive situation like teaching. But where do you draw the line with someone's personal expression and their job duties? Do we fire teachers for wearing a cross necklace or carrying a Bible? My second point, being that of the main difference is the expectation of God in the methods, couldn't a parent reasonably forsee that there would be a prayer prior to the game, before their child joined?

I wasn't limiting or forcing his speech by direction. You might claim coercion through established normative behavior at best, which I admit. He probably felt out of place, from my doing. I catch the general gist that in today's modern PC times it is illegal to have a corporate prayer as a coach. What if I had asked the kids, "Does anyone here want to lead us in quick prayer?" Would that have been acceptable?
You already know the answers to your last questions.  Pretending that you don't is rather insulting.

Even with public school prayer the rule has been that if it's initiated by students and is done by students who freely join in it's okay.  

You are leading them when you ask if anyone wants to lead a prayer...again, putting kids in a situation where they think they should do as the adult in the group wants.  

If kids want to pray they will, even if it's silently.  

Teach the kids how to play ball.

As for the teacher wearing a cross...get over yourself.  You know that there are plenty of teachers/coaches/childcare providers who are wearing some sort of religious symbol whether it be a necklace, a ring, a bracelet, or a Bible forbidden tattoo.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I get that you want it to be just about playing ball. But nothing I can think of is that black and white. People's beliefs, stigmas, opinions, and privilege play into almost everything we do. Unless you want coaches to all be robots, I don't see a solution that's cut and dry. I get that it should be done freely. Where does that freedom start? With the parent who signs up their child, the coach who huddles the team, the boy who wants to say a prayer? I don't agree that it should only be done by students. The line between personal expression of a belief and how it impacts others is still murky for me. I still feel intent plays the strongest role in making those lines. Do you disagree?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
If you are in a church/religion based setting then the rules are different. But everyone knows the rules. It's a religion based thing. Prayer is sort of expected.

If it's a public rec league or part of a public school then you don't get to assume that urging your belief system onto others is okay.

It is pretty black and white.

Again, know your audience.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 15, 2019 at 2:14 pm)tackattack Wrote: I get that you want it to be just about playing ball. But nothing I can think of is that black and white. People's beliefs, stigmas, opinions, and privilege play into almost everything we do. Unless you want coaches to all be robots, I don't see a solution that's cut and dry. I get that it should be done freely. Where does that freedom start? With the parent who signs up their child, the coach who huddles the team, the boy who wants to say a prayer? I don't agree that it should only be done by students. The line between personal expression of a belief and how it impacts others is still murky for me. I still feel intent plays the strongest role in making those lines. Do you disagree?

I didn't realize it was expecting coaches to 'act like a robot' to expect them not to lead their team in a prayer.   Apparently I've been a 'robotic' cheerleading coach, because I've never once led my students in prayer or even mentioned god.  (Or rather, a lackthereof, and how silly it is to believe in such nonsense)
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(July 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm)Cecelia Wrote:
(July 15, 2019 at 2:14 pm)tackattack Wrote: I get that you want it to be just about playing ball. But nothing I can think of is that black and white. People's beliefs, stigmas, opinions, and privilege play into almost everything we do. Unless you want coaches to all be robots, I don't see a solution that's cut and dry. I get that it should be done freely. Where does that freedom start? With the parent who signs up their child, the coach who huddles the team, the boy who wants to say a prayer? I don't agree that it should only be done by students. The line between personal expression of a belief and how it impacts others is still murky for me. I still feel intent plays the strongest role in making those lines. Do you disagree?

I didn't realize it was expecting coaches to 'act like a robot' to expect them not to lead their team in a prayer.   Apparently I've been a 'robotic' cheerleading coach, because I've never once led my students in prayer or even mentioned god.  (Or rather, a lackthereof, and how silly it is to believe in such nonsense)
Which is exactly my point. It's not just that you only talked about cheer. You feel God and prayer are "silly ...to believe such nonsense". You don't think that comes out in your mannerisms or side comments as a coach? And what if someone wanted to talk about God or prayer but was afraid they'd be singled out and laughed at for their silly beliefs?

We can't separate who we are and what we believe from what we do. So what's the differentiating factor? Neither one of you answered the relevant question. If you make someone uncomfortable by being who you are and expressing yourself, should intent matter or is it always wrong? I believe this is the very basis of the social contract and you have to be ready to be offended if you want the freedom to express yourself publicly.

@arewethereyet - maybe it would be a little clearer to me if you could define the difference between "urging your belief system onto others", expressing myself and indoctrinating children?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

(July 16, 2019 at 10:13 am)tackattack Wrote:
(July 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm)Cecelia Wrote: I didn't realize it was expecting coaches to 'act like a robot' to expect them not to lead their team in a prayer.   Apparently I've been a 'robotic' cheerleading coach, because I've never once led my students in prayer or even mentioned god.  (Or rather, a lackthereof, and how silly it is to believe in such nonsense)
Which is exactly my point. It's not just that you only talked about cheer. You feel God and prayer are "silly ...to believe such nonsense". You don't think that comes out in your mannerisms or side comments as a coach? And what if someone wanted to talk about God or prayer but was afraid they'd be singled out and laughed at for their silly beliefs?

We can't separate who we are and what we believe from what we do. So what's the differentiating factor? Neither one of you answered the relevant question. If you make someone uncomfortable by being who you are and expressing yourself, should intent matter or is it always wrong? I believe this is the very basis of the social contract and you have to be ready to be offended if you want the freedom to express yourself publicly.

@arewethereyet - maybe it would be a little clearer to me if you could define the difference between "urging your belief system onto others", expressing myself and indoctrinating children?
You aren't this ignorant and the act is getting old.

If you are suggesting prayer then you are urging kids to follow your belief system.  Kids are generally going to follow the lead of the adult in charge and you are taking advantage of being in that position.  Stop trying to pretend a sports huddle is a call to prayer.  It isn't...it's a way for teammates on the field to get together and quickly discuss the plan for the next play without revealing that plan to the other team.

@arewethereyet I'm not trying to act obtuse, I'm attempting to clarify my biases on a forum with un-like minds. I am not pretending that a huddle is a call for worshiping God. I am not ignorant of the influence of positions of authority.

I would really appreciate you clarifying the difference between urging and expression as you are using it, because that IMO is where my lines aren't as clear as yours. If we can come to an agreement on those definitions I feel we could possibly move on to the should and responsibility of the issue.

(July 16, 2019 at 10:13 am)tackattack Wrote: Which is exactly my point. It's not just that you only talked about cheer. You feel God and prayer are "silly ...to believe such nonsense". You don't think that comes out in your mannerisms or side comments as a coach? And what if someone wanted to talk about God or prayer but was afraid they'd be singled out and laughed at for their silly beliefs?

No, it doesn't come out in my mannerisms or side comments as a coach.  I don't talk about my beliefs or lackthereof with my team, because I realize that it's 100% unprofessional to do so.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Well, coaching is nice and dandy, until you stop doing that, Tack. I is a game, meant for taking a ball with your feet, or in the US, an egg in hand. Ya know, god has better things to do than save your arse as a horrible coach.
(July 16, 2019 at 1:55 pm)tackattack Wrote: @arewethereyet I'm not trying to act obtuse, I'm attempting to clarify my biases on a forum with un-like minds. I am not pretending that a huddle is a call for worshiping God. I am not ignorant of the influence of positions of authority.

I would really appreciate you clarifying the difference between urging and expression as you are using it, because that IMO is where my lines aren't as clear as yours. If we can come to an agreement on those definitions I feel we could possibly move on to the should and responsibility of the issue.

I could etch it on glass and you will still say it's not clear enough.

If you want to preach then go preach.  If you want to coach, then coach.

If you want to preach while coaching, do it at a church based venue.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 577 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 2128 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4625 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Holy War Johanabrahams 105 9192 July 17, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 21506 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The War on Christmas Chad32 29 4220 January 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Phoque
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4922 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Feeling a form of "religious discrimination" for the first time Aegon 19 1957 May 22, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10760 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 4075 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus