Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 10:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for Believing
RE: Evidence for Believing
At work.

(October 1, 2019 at 2:13 am)snowtracks Wrote: Biblically stated 3 millenniums the first 2 verses have been proven (oh yes) to be scientifically accurate.
Genesis 1:1  “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” - Big bang cosmology confirms the universe had an actual beginning. 13.79bya
Genesis 1:2  “The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.”
 - Science confirms  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...074038.htm

All the other Genesis chapter 1 verses are secularly accurate as well*. Therefore, God.

*There are no 'what abouts'?

Actually, no. Cosmology doesn't say anything at all about any 'Beginning'.

What you have is the experts saying; "We can currently only see back so far. Anything before 'X' time is still conjecture."

As for our little ball of mainly sillica? In our solar system's beginning it was simply an accretion of stuff over time. If you want to talk about before 'that' then we get into gasses and dust of nebula. Many of which, you'll agree, have very pretty patterns and forms. Smile
(October 1, 2019 at 2:13 am)snowtracks Wrote: Biblically stated 3 millenniums the first 2 verses have been proven (oh yes) to be scientifically accurate.
Genesis 1:1  “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” - Big bang cosmology confirms the universe had an actual beginning. 13.79bya
No it doesn't. Repeating this lie makes it your lie.

(October 1, 2019 at 2:13 am)snowtracks Wrote: Genesis 1:2  “The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.”
Nope. Read the paper. It specifically identifies the earth as NOT formless OR void.

(October 1, 2019 at 2:13 am)snowtracks Wrote: All the other Genesis chapter 1 verses are secularly accurate as well*. Therefore, God.

Nope. Gen 1 has light created before the sun, plants before the sun, a moon that gives off it's own light etc. Basically, Gen 1 is fractally wrong.

This is not helped by Gen 2 having a totally different account which contradicts Gen 1.
(October 1, 2019 at 2:13 am)snowtracks Wrote: Genesis 1:1  “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” - Big bang cosmology confirms the universe had an actual beginning. 13.79bya
Bing Bang theory is a scientific theory that may be revised one day, or even be found out to be flat out wrong. In that case, will you acknowledge that Genesis has been proven wrong? Huh

(October 1, 2019 at 2:13 am)snowtracks Wrote: Genesis 1:2  “The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.”
Science has confirmed "the Spirit of God was moving over the surface"? Where? When? How? Huh Huh Huh

(October 1, 2019 at 2:13 am)snowtracks Wrote: All the other Genesis chapter 1 verses are secularly accurate as well*. Therefore, God.
What is "secularly" accurate? Huh Is there another form of accuracy? Why "therefore god"? Genesis writers could have just guessed, guessed right. So how do you know that Genesis being accurate regarding the (lets assume, for the sake of the argument, factual) origin of the universe is related to the cause Genesis claims there to be?
What method(s) has Genesis used to determine its conclusion(s)? Huh Methods that can be trusted and applied (again). Otherwise i could pick whoever won the lottery last weekend and claim he is a god, cuz, only gods have this superhuman ability to determine the numbers of the lottery.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(September 30, 2019 at 9:30 pm)Inqwizitor Wrote: Straw-man god, par excellence.  Well done...

If in your opinion it's a strawman god then you are now obliged to define the real god.
AFAICS nowhere have you have made an attempt at defining the god you actually believe in, so this is an ideal opportunity. What is the real god?*

*Points will be deducted for any mention of philosophers/theologians, dead or otherwise.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
The "evidence" for believing appears to be that bunches of people believe it, and that at least one person believes that genesis is a science textbook.  Am I missing any other "evidence"?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

That's NOT what BB cosmology states at all. BB states that the universe began to expand at the BB. Our local presentation of the universe began at the time of the BB. It is entirely possible that the universe existed in some form before expansion, and the BB was only a change in state.

Quote:Genesis 1:2  “The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.”

All the other Genesis chapter 1 verses are secularly accurate as well*. Therefore, God.

As already pointed out, Genesis gets almost nothing correct about the actual history of the universe and earth.

(September 30, 2019 at 9:30 pm)Inqwizitor Wrote: Straw-man god, par excellence.  Well done. But let me just say that I don't think revelation is limited to this planet. If or when we contact other intelligent life elsewhere in this vast universe, I sincerely expect that they will have their own numinous relationship. "There is no meaning to all this stuff" is not an answer, either. Maybe extraterrestrials will convince you, if your own kind, cannot.  Marvin [Lol, imagine they actually look like the Flying Spaghetti Monster?]

I am not claiming that video describes all gods believed in by humanity, but there sure are a lot of people that do believe in a god very similar to the one the video is depicting.

You do remember, that the god in the vid is called Yahweh, right? That is a specific mythological god described in some ancient texts, that pretty closely lines up with the video.

If you are believe in a different god, then the video does not refer to you.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
No more @Lek

I guess, he's basking in his  Violin theistic  Think
(September 30, 2019 at 10:21 am)Gwaithmir Wrote:
(September 24, 2019 at 7:19 pm)Lek Wrote: If you were seeking with a true heart and he hasn't come to you then I can't say, but you must be open to him coming to you in a way you wouldn't think he should.  But all I know is my situation.  You've done your search and you've made a choice.  I  would still keep my mind open, which is probably what you do.  Sometimes it's a matter of timing. Because he hasn't shown you yet doesn't mean he won't.  People come to God during all points in life.

I have heard that identical claim from Muslims, Wiccans, Native Americans, Buddhists, pagans and many others. So, who is right? You can't all be right but you can all be wrong. If their personal experiences aren't right, how can yours be?

They can all reveal God.
(October 1, 2019 at 4:50 pm)Lek Wrote:
(September 30, 2019 at 10:21 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: I have heard that identical claim from Muslims, Wiccans, Native Americans, Buddhists, pagans and many others. So, who is right? You can't all be right but you can all be wrong. If their personal experiences aren't right, how can yours be?

They can all reveal God.

Could you please define and describe the god you believe exists?

I.E., do any ancient texts/holy books accurately depict it? If so, which ones? Does it interact with the physical universe and/or the sentient beings within the universe in any detectable, verifiable and repeatable way? Or whatever other pertinent information you might think would add to your description.

You might have done it in the past, but I don't see it in any of your latest threads.

Thanks!

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 1, 2019 at 4:50 pm)Lek Wrote:
(September 30, 2019 at 10:21 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: I have heard that identical claim from Muslims, Wiccans, Native Americans, Buddhists, pagans and many others. So, who is right? You can't all be right but you can all be wrong. If their personal experiences aren't right, how can yours be?

They can all reveal God.

Or they can all reveal the same or similar common cognitive disfunction and emotional craving inherited from our ancesters, who were nothing more than merely the least difunctional of various kluges of extemporized neurological circuitry thrown together by contingent circumstances.

Yes, I know, you emotionally crave to be more than that, but that's purely because you are nothing more than that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2773 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3678 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1834 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 5294 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 9098 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3130 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1102 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1988 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2773 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
Information The Best Logique Evidence of God Existence Nogba 225 26148 August 2, 2019 at 11:44 am
Last Post: comet