Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 4:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Sects of Atheism
RE: The Sects of Atheism
(November 2, 2021 at 6:33 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: I’m still waiting for my logic lesson.

Alright since you asked nicely;

[Image: stem-chalkboard-1400x550.jpg]

Now lets focus on the upper right hand quadrant and begin...
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

"I'm trying not to point out that that was math and not logic, but it is..... difficult."
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 2, 2021 at 9:24 pm)Angrboda Wrote: "I'm trying not to point out that that was math and not logic, but it is.....  difficult."

Actually it's neither its how to set the clock on Lady's microwave
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(November 1, 2021 at 6:05 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Hello. I’m new here. I’m a believer in God. In Jesus more specifically. 
In this topic I’d like to discuss some definitions and where this leads you as a person. 

Can you please describe what and where you are in a belief system? Or no belief system? Or lack of belief?

Once you’ve answered that, can you please answer the following: What can you tell me about souls and the existence of an afterlife?

Thank you.

I believe in God and all related constructs such as a soul and an afterlife to the same extent I believe in Santa Claus, the boogie man, the tooth faery or ghosts and for the same reasons. Not just is there absolutely no evidence for their existence, just like the presentation of supposed "evidence" for a God by believers, the pretzel logic required to make any of the aforementioned fantasies "work" makes the whole proposition simply lack all credibility for me.

If you want to label my "belief system" I guess I would call it evidence based. Show me evidence of a God, and I will gladly change my views.
Atheism ist not a belief, particularly not a religious one. Therefore there can not be "sects" of atheists. Period.

It says a lot about your beliefs and your (in)security about them if you have to shield them from criticism by "pointing fingers at others", aka. arguing that certain people "should not be allowed to criticize them", or should have no business criticizing them.

You believe in some version of the christian god!? Want to discuss here? Fine. Which one and why?  Read
But dont come here only to tell us that you do not want to discuss your beliefs. I am also not knocking on your door and telling you that i do not want to discuss Picasso. That would be annoying and rude, wouldnt it?  Dodgy
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
It often amazes me that theists can be satisfied if you state that you believe in X god, even if it isn't their god or belief system. But soon as you state you don't believe in any gods, they suddenly become aggressive and argumentative.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(November 2, 2021 at 4:20 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 4:08 pm)Helios Wrote: It's not a cover story it's a fact  Dodgy

That's not a fact. That's your opinion. As someone once said, theists do not require evidence and atheists won't accept any. Learning the difference between fact and opinion is one of the first steps in critical thinking, yes?

You suspect Helios doesn't know his own reasons for not believing or is lying about them?

(November 2, 2021 at 4:56 pm)Ahriman Wrote: What makes some atheists say, "souls and reincarnation are real" but then also say, "but gods? no there are definitely not any gods"

What makes some theists say God is definitely real but not astrology or ghosts? People are complicated and have different opinions on different things. Why does this mystify you?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(November 3, 2021 at 9:30 am)Spongebob Wrote: It often amazes me that theists can be satisfied if you state that you believe in X god, even if it isn't their god or belief system.  But soon as you state you don't believe in any gods, they suddenly become aggressive and argumentative.

Because one lie exposes another - better to have the manufactured assent of all than be forced to confront one's own superstitions because of a few flies in the god ointment. There's a bunch of stuff like that, including the "you can't know there are no gods" song and dance. Failing to establish that there are, all evidence to the contrary, the faithful reach for a consolation prize. A ludicrous stopgap in accepting the intellectual paucity of their belief in super pixies by any name.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 2, 2021 at 5:17 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote: Yes but if you wanna call yourself ‘more religious’ and claim to be a true atheist in the strict dictionary sense …. Then you’re not being true to what you really are.

Being an atheist means you can't believe in gods, if you don't believe in gods you're an atheist, by definition. Nothing in that definition about how religious you are. I've met devout Buddhists who are atheists. I know a Unitarian Universalist minister who is an atheist. I hate to claim them but Raellianism is technically an atheistic religion since they substitue aliens with no magic for prophets and gods. The Satanic Temple is atheistic (using Satan as a metaphor/symbol). And there's these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical_movement

Unless you use the word 'religion' in its narrowest sense of worship of a superhuman being, there's nothing stopping an atheist from being religious. If you do use it in that sense, why were you claiming atheism is a religion?

(November 2, 2021 at 5:17 pm)GaryAnderson Wrote:
(November 2, 2021 at 5:12 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Which is an utter bullshit assertion unless you can demonstrate that gods and souls exist in the first place, and that one cannot exist with out the other. Try again?

Low-effort troll is obvious, lol
And here we go. Smile The troll card has been thrown when you’re not willing to respond in a logical manner.

This topic in not going to demonstrate the existence of gods or souls, it’s about clarifying what you’re allowed to say or not based on your position.

I'd say the troll card has been thrown down because you've shown a tendency to make posts intended to provoke a negative emotional response. Calling materialists meat machines whose only value is meat comes to mind.

And the only thing that an atheist can say that would be contradictory to their atheism is that they believe in any gods. You continue to claim that there are other things 'we're not allowed to say' without supporting or even defending that contention, which is also trollish behavior. I'm not sure what percentage of trollish behavior it takes to qualify as a full-on troll, but you're definitely on the spectrum.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
It won't help, it never does..but..religion..

Quote:a unified system of beliefs and practices relative to sacred things, i.e., things set apart and forbidden—beliefs and practices which unite in one single moral community called a Church, all those who adhere to them.
Notice how there's no god requirement in there? Notice how there are things in there which probably do apply to most people, including atheists? Beliefs in things set apart and forbidden. Social unity over those beliefs? Practices to them?

Notice how there's no ghosts or immateriality requirement? Notice how there's no insistence on all these things -and- that they all be necessarily tied together, as well? You don't need to understand atheists - Gary, you'd be better served by finding people who held a different religion so that the horizons of your understanding extend further than the back of your own eyelids.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29119 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 13364 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12641 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10797 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12429 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 39574 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack