Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 6:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's wrong with Woke
RE: What's wrong with Woke
(January 20, 2022 at 11:25 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(January 20, 2022 at 11:19 am)Divinity Wrote: People who complain about "Wokeness" are all shitty people who don't want to be shit on for their shitty ideas.  You'll notice people attack 'wokeness' because they are small minded neanderthals who can't handle anything different than them. This particularly includes having different beliefs. It's almost ironic, given how they want their beliefs to be respected and bitch about 'cancel culture' but then try to cancel people and refuse to respect any beliefs but their own.
I'm not interested in canceling anyone. But I will call out intellectually backwards opinions when I see them.

You make the mistake of assuming yourself to be intelligent enough to recognize what's 'intellecually backwards'. You do not. Your lot will gladly cancel gay and black authors, banning their books from schools, because it threatens your fragile bubble where you can treat people like shit. And dont' give me none of this "But I'm gay!" bullshit. You may be gay, so is Milo Yiannopoulos. And he's still a shithead who promotes conversion therapy.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
At work.

(January 20, 2022 at 11:19 am)Divinity Wrote: People who complain about "Wokeness" are all shitty people who don't want to be shit on for their shitty ideas.  You'll notice people attack 'wokeness' because they are small minded neanderthals who can't handle anything different than them. This particularly includes having different beliefs. It's almost ironic, given how they want their beliefs to be respected and bitch about 'cancel culture' but then try to cancel people and refuse to respect any beliefs but their own.
I'm not interested in canceling anyone. But I will call out intellectually backwards opinions when I see them.

*Reads Ahriman's post....... *

Really?

You just have absolutely no self awareness or introspection, do you Ahriman?

I think a 'Elisa' program would behave with better replies than that.
Just think like me, I know what's right.
Woke has many different meanings. I consider myself to be pretty woke, AKA red pilled about how the world works. There is the matrix meaning of woke. And then there are the 9/11 truthers who always called themselves awake and pretty much owned that term for a long while. There is the black community who has used the word woke for a long while, meaning that they consider themselves informed about social justice issues. And then there is more of the newer woke, which has become a putdown, and rightfully so, directed at people like Anita Sarkeesian, who described becoming a feminist as "Everything is racist, everything is sexist, everything is homophobic, and you have to point it all out." This is what the sensible among us reject. Yes, there is plenty of racism, sexism and homophobia in the world, but not every literal thing is racist, sexist and homophobic.

I used to be a bit of an SJW myself for a number of years, calling people out for saying the wrong thing, but SJW, to me at least, came to mean that a great deal of these people want you censored and maybe even charged with hate speech (in 2015, 40 % of millennials wanted to abolish free speech. I'm sure things have only gotten worse since then https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/20...inorities/) . Nowadays, I use the terms SJW or wokeist interchangeably with authoritarian or fascist.
Short answer:

First problem: Woke condemnation is often taken to far.

Second problem: People claim unfair woke condemnation when condemnation is appropriate.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
If I call Bin Laden a "terrorist" there would not be many people on the left or right that would disagree.

But my best friend from Oklahoma is a "redneck". The left often associates trailer dwellers and the middle of the country as uneducated MAGA supporters. HB(Hillbilly Atheist) speaks with the typical twang, uses words like "taters" instead of potato. He literally wears cowboy hats and has a belt buckle he uses for his I.D. He is one of the  biggest liberals and smartest people I know. 

He hates it when " the left" uses the word "redneck" as a slur. I get it. But at the same time, he knows me well enough when I use the same word, I am making fun of the bigots not sporting them

I have a friend from Pakistan, and he constantly loves to blame (tease) white people for everything that happens in the east. Conversely I love to tease him by calling him an Arab  even though he is from Pakistan. 

Point is if the humor is done out of love, friendship I think it is ok. But most people can, our should be able to tell, when someone is simply ribbing you and when they truly hate you.

I think it is a moral absolute to fight bigotry on all fronts. But at the same time, among friends we should be able to know the difference between hate speech and having a friendly tease.

So calling out bad opinions with your opinion.... that seems like the definition of woke to me. What makes your opinion not bad? how is it productive to call out bad opinions with your own bad opinion? If your opinion is just right to you, then you're calling out an opinion other than yours that you consider bad with an opinion of yours that you consider good. That's called free speech and you have every right to be wrong.. completely wrong, misinformed and ignorant. It is when you use that opinion that is only right to you... to socially hurt others that it becomes toxic. So let's up the scale.. 

Now you have a public opinion that your small group determines is bad, and you call it out as a small group that agrees it's bad in their opinion. This has exponential more social pressure on the singular originator of the "bad opinion". It could also be just as "wrong", misinformed or ignorant at the group level.

This is why there is a societal norm enforced by laws, IMO. Example, A lot of people thought that Jan 6 was the right thing to do, spurred by emotionalism, misinformation, fear and ignorance. Even as a group they thought it was right. Bad actors used the opportunity to kill and injure people. They were "cancelled" by the larger groups perception that it was insurrection, rather than demonstration. This was solidified by a follow up prosecution. 

This means that public opinion of the majority does seem to have a containing effect on wokeness. In the age of misinformation (much like the show jock era for radio) this could be problematic... which is perhaps why the perception that wokeness is going around unbridled exploding.

/2cents
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(January 20, 2022 at 11:24 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

Neither?

Perchance it's a good 'Social norm' to question the behaviour of the courts and legal system when it comes to who, how and why people are/aren't convicted and aquitted?

Sorry, I'm not that 'Up' on foreign affairs like disgraced American sports 'Stars'.

Coffee

Well, you can choose any example you like.  I'm just not sure why calling out bad people is related to either social construct.  As I pointed out before, we do this in small communities all the time.  This happens in the workplace, too and it happens in churches.  It appears to be a natural thing that humans do to keep others in line with social norms, yet when it happens on a large scale we get a segment of the population that believes it is unfair.  Why?
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(January 20, 2022 at 10:34 am)Ahriman Wrote: Yes, it is absolutely wrong. End of story. If you don't think so, how about we cancel you and see how you like it?

Yeah, cancel culture is so inadequate.  Some people should have been canceled before birth,  in fact should have been cancelled several generations before birth,
(January 20, 2022 at 2:20 pm)Spongebob Wrote: Well, you can choose any example you like.  I'm just not sure why calling out bad people is related to either social construct.  As I pointed out before, we do this in small communities all the time.  This happens in the workplace, too and it happens in churches.  It appears to be a natural thing that humans do to keep others in line with social norms, yet when it happens on a large scale we get a segment of the population that believes it is unfair.  Why?

I don't like cancel culture. Imagine if your every action were to be scrutinized by the internet, and the first time you do or say something that doesn't meet a purity test, people actively try to destroy your life.

In real life, bad behavior can be called out by the people who it actually affects. In cancel culture, it is called out by people who it doesn't affect. The average Joe is judge, jury and executioner. There is no room for tolerance or a different life experience.

Cancel culture is no different than the intolerance of religious zealots.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liz Cheney Says She Was Wrong... Secular Elf 2 370 September 28, 2021 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Everything wrong with Fox News in one video Fake Messiah 5 699 March 17, 2018 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The Philosophy Of Antifa (Or Why It's Critics Are Wrong ) Amarok 10 1660 December 3, 2017 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yer doin' it wrong. Gawdzilla Sama 3 700 October 14, 2017 at 7:59 am
Last Post: brewer
  What in the FUCK is wrong with Republicans? NuclearEnergy 22 5661 August 11, 2017 at 5:50 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why can't Trump supporters admit there is something wrong with him NuclearEnergy 191 59969 June 21, 2017 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you think there is something mentally wrong with those who support Trump NuclearEnergy 31 10551 June 2, 2017 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  It's only a matter of time until Trump throws rocks at the wrong person NuclearEnergy 0 520 March 7, 2017 at 4:35 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  What The Hell Is Wrong With Some People A Theist 47 7062 March 5, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Jesus, look at those early voting lines! What is wrong with these people? Whateverist 17 2511 November 7, 2016 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Aegon