Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2024, 10:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia and Ukraine
RE: Russia and Ukraine
(March 29, 2022 at 4:10 pm)Nomad Wrote:
(March 27, 2022 at 4:00 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: You're too kind, thanks.

I get your point about SEAD, though I think that would be very difficult anyway given that most Ukrainian AD is in the form of MANPADs. For this reason, I was thinking more along the lines of attacking Ukrainian airfields harboring combat planes or repair facilities with stand-off missiles in the opening minutes of the war.

They may well be husbanding their more advanced aircraft in order to address any potential NATO intervention, too.

I'd have to go digging through the toobs, but one of the people I watch semi-regularly from before the war when he was doing his analysis pointed out the fact that the Russian airforce are doing all their sorties at low altitude, indicating that quite a lot of Ukrainian long range and high altitude air defence is still active.  They picked off the fixed point radar installations early on, but that's no real achievement, any airforce with superiority in numbers should be able to do that.  But Russia look to be absolutely cack at taking out mobile air defence and at taking out airfields.

I hadn't really considered your point about high-alt AD, and I knew the Ukrainians did field some S-300s. Mobile AD, especially MANPADs, are very hard to target with air, that's a ground job there if ever we see one.

I'm really surprised the Russians didn't go after military airfields and repair facilities, though. The best place to kill an enemy air force is on the ground.

(March 29, 2022 at 4:10 pm)Nomad Wrote: PS I'm sceptical about the idea that Russia are holding back their more advanced aircraft because, a) they know NATO won't involve themselves directly without nukes falling, and b) they've put in their best units and equipment in every other department (which got absolutely spankered as a result) so why keep their planes back (unless they've nobody to fly them)?

I've seen very little reportage regarding Su-35s and -57s, and very little about their heavy bombers being involved, as well, which is the basis for my point. I could certainly be wrong, obvs.

(March 29, 2022 at 11:08 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 29, 2022 at 9:27 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The incompetence we've seen on display this last month is stunning, to me.

Even if Russia had more-than-competent field commanders, their invasion force would still be in the weeds because their equipment and logistics are shit. They attempted a half-arsed blitzkrieg with four different lines of assault using armour and artillery that hadn’t been properly maintained and couldn’t be reliably supported.

Boru

It's worse than that, Boru. Combat capability starts at the level of the soldier, and these Russian troops are clearly deficient in simple tactics. Their morale also seems lacking. I've read that many of them were told they were on maneuvers and were not expecting live fire at all. Young conscripts with less than a year in service being confronted with a surprise offensive ... yeah, no.

Good troops can rarely, but sometimes, overcome bad plans or poor equipment, but they still need food, fuel, and ammo to do so. Overcoming poor planning is just as hard, but still sometimes doable; we see instances of that in the Pacific in WWII, for instance, except when as in this case the poor planning happens in logistics as well as operations.

But when you throw undertrained troops in with poor leadership and shitty planning, expecting anything other than a clusterfuck is rainbows-and-unicorns territory.

(March 29, 2022 at 5:03 pm)Nomad Wrote: And I'd even forgotten about rasputitsa when I made the "can't fight 50 miles outside its borders" predicition.

Add to this last comment the fact that the winter has been very mild there this year, and you're looking at four months of mud. Rasputitsa doesn't typically start until late March/early april there, and last until the end of May, though there've been instances of it going into late June -- just ask the Germans why they had to delay Barbarossa a month.

-and the best place to kill enemy infantry is in their beds - but the russians don't have nvg's just like they have fucking Garmins glued to the cockpit shelfs of their supposed next gen multi-roles.....- so that's moot. More military malpractice.

Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 29, 2022 at 8:51 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: -and the best place to kill enemy infantry is in their beds -

Sam Houston is sitting up and grinning.

This

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the...9742a79d72

may help explain why Russia hasn't established air superiority (and isn't likely to do so) - it isn't so much that they don't have the planes or the pilots, it's that they aren't using the correct munitions to make the best use of these planes. They aren't using guided munitions because they don't have guided munitions. 

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
@Thumpalumpacus

Uncle Vlad is looking alot like Russia's Santa Anna right now - minus all of the positive qualities.....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Russians are now using military weapons mounted on commandeered civilian vehicles in Ukraine, confirmed by Andrey Kelin (I’m sure there’s a correct military term for these hybrids). Some questions for people who know more about military stuff than I do:

Is it because their tanks are bogging down in the mud? Is it because they’re running out of tank fuel? It it because they’re running out of tanks? Is it a good idea use these when they can be disabled by a simple hunting rifle? Doesn’t this argue against Russia holding its premier equipment in reserve?

Boru
NSTVs or techs.

They're matching ukrainian tactics. There may be other reasons, but that would be the primary reason to do it if you had another choice. They're not holding their premiere anythings in reserve, not even troops. They used their good troops too.. and those guys got smashed. They brought their mbts, smashed. They brought their su35s and their brand new ka's and some big beautiful alligator landing ships......all of it...dogshit. Potatoes in ukranian fields.

Ukraine is doing it to replicate the humvee use the us defaulted to - where one or two armored vehicles might be up front, but it's mostly small wheeled vehicles (the drone guys are using quad atv's) full of infantry. Russia is doing it because they can't keep losing all that expensive shit to guys in suvs. As in literally can't - they're having trouble manufacturing spare parts...and there's a bit of a cash problem. This war was supposed to be a product demo. Womp womp.
(March 30, 2022 at 5:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Russians are now using military weapons mounted on commandeered civilian vehicles in Ukraine, confirmed by Andrey Kelin (I’m sure there’s a correct military term for these hybrids). Some questions for people who know more about military stuff than I do:

Is it because their tanks are bogging down in the mud? Is it because they’re running out of tank fuel? It it because they’re running out of tanks? Is it a good idea use these when they can be disabled by a simple hunting rifle? Doesn’t this argue against Russia holding its premier equipment in reserve?

Boru

Putin developed this tactic after a two day binge of Red Bull and Stolychnia while playing non-stop Grand Theft Auto.........
(March 30, 2022 at 5:36 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(March 30, 2022 at 5:10 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Russians are now using military weapons mounted on commandeered civilian vehicles in Ukraine, confirmed by Andrey Kelin (I’m sure there’s a correct military term for these hybrids). Some questions for people who know more about military stuff than I do:

Boru

Putin developed this tactic after a two day binge of Red Bull and Stolychnia while playing non-stop Grand Theft Auto.........

I’d be much surprised if Putin even knows about it. If Nudger’s right (and I have no reason to suspect he isn’t), this is really bad news for Russia. The Ukrainians are employing it as a deliberate tactic, while the Russians look like they’re being forced into it as a desperate response to a logistical nightmare.

Giving Putin this level of bad news is kind of a career-ender.

Boru
It's deliberate on their part, but not entirely voluntary. They're short on standard vehicles too. Particularly APCs. The russians suffered no such shortage - but...mech infantry don't actually fight -in- the APCs, they dismount. Consider the massive number of russian APCs confirmed to be destroyed in that not entirely obvious light. If the point of mech infantry is to deposit ground forces in some place rapidly - and you can get them where you want them with a pickup truck just as easily or faster, the standard vehicle is superfluous and an asset at risk.

Russian APC losses, in particular, give a picture of what must be happening in these engagements. The Ukrainians are setting ambushes, absolutely, but they must also be getting into the russian formations, because the APCs after contact will be behind the infantry line, not with it. That's basic, automatic stuff. Infantry dismount to advance while the vehicles retreat firing parting shots and popping smoke.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China & Russia Silver 32 3364 November 29, 2023 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  China and Russia's presidents -both- absent from the G20 WinterHold 16 1845 October 1, 2023 at 8:09 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 480 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Nato, Sweden, Vilnius, Ukraine etc. Nishant Xavier 53 4437 August 7, 2023 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Proxy war in Ukraine? Angrboda 151 8725 November 8, 2022 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Micheal Cohen lied about Russia Tower deal. Brian37 6 1071 November 29, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  BREAKING:Trump Promises Strike on Syria and Warns Russia Against Backing Assad WinterHold 20 4586 April 14, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  We may not be going into WW3 with Russia over Syria after all. Chad32 39 12834 July 16, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  U.S. War Plane Shoots Down A Syrian Jet: Russia Warns Of Consequences A Theist 40 15330 June 21, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Michael Flynn, national security adviser, resigns over Russia contacts c172 48 9917 February 18, 2017 at 11:40 am
Last Post: John V