Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 5:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Satanic verses
RE: Satanic verses
(August 19, 2022 at 3:04 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: -and contemporary western atheism is more recent than islam, but you don't appear to think that fact is instructive in that regard.

Well atheism isn't a religion nor does it have scripture, you're not really comparing like with like.

(August 19, 2022 at 3:04 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:  borrowing his religion to unify an arabic audience....but I digress.

Muslims believe the christian religion/judaism were originally from God, so the Qur'an having many things in common with these religions isn't surprising.
(August 19, 2022 at 3:20 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(August 19, 2022 at 3:04 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: -and contemporary western atheism is more recent than islam, but you don't appear to think that fact is instructive in that regard.

Well atheism isn't a religion nor does it have scripture, you're not really comparing like with like.
If I could just keep you in my pocket for everytime we have to hear some nutter like yourself argue otherwise.......

No matter, ultimately, as I think we both know that there are any number of more recent beliefs and religions whose closer space in time to us is not taken by you to be indicative of it's greater accuracy.  Chiefly, each and every thing that exposes your beliefs for the sham that they have always been. This renders your previous comments moot..and more than just a little bit disingenuos... on their own grounds.

Quote:Muslims believe the christian religion/judaism were originally from God, so the Qur'an having many things in common with these religions isn't surprising.
Mhm, that's exactly what I just said.  That was islams first problem - the rest was just a pile-on. I consider that to be the pure tragedy of the religion - as it didn't have to do that. It ends up expressing a far more progressive view of the world than it's predecessors and alot of the hinkiest shit can be directly tied to it's having held it's own credibility hostage to those other comparatively retrograde faiths.

That which is not true, must be true.....somehow...for islam to be true. An unenviable position to be in.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 19, 2022 at 3:31 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: No matter, ultimately, as I think we both know that there are any number of more recent beliefs and religions whose closer space in time to us is not taken by you to be indicative of it's greater accuracy.  

Well I would be happy to grant that the Book of Mormon is 100% accurate, which is to say this book contains exactly what Joseph Smith intended for it to. I don't know why you think this argument is disingenuous, as a book being accurate doesn't mean it's true.. so an atheist is not really doing Muslims a huge favor by granting them that the Qur'an is preserved.

(August 19, 2022 at 3:31 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Mhm, that's exactly what I just said.  That was islams first problem - the rest was just a pile-on.  I consider that to be the pure tragedy of the religion - as it didn't have to do that.  It ends up expressing a far more progressive view of the world than it's predecessors and alot of the hinkiest shit can be directly tied to it's having held it's own credibility hostage to those other comparatively retrograde faiths.

The Qur'an boldly rejected many christian doctrines, chiefly the idea of trinity, what we have in common with christian belief is the unique status of Jesus - we think he is an important prophet of God, and that God inspired him the original Bible, christians go much farther, as we all know.
(August 19, 2022 at 3:48 pm)Klorophyll Wrote: Well I would be happy to grant that the Book of Mormon is 100% accurate, which is to say this book contains exactly what Joseph Smith intended for it to. I don't know why you think this argument is disingenuous, as a book being accurate doesn't mean it's true.. so an atheist is not really doing Muslims a huge favor by granting them that the Qur'an is preserved.
We don't exist to grant wishes, no.                                                        

Quote:The Qur'an boldly rejected many christian doctrines, chiefly the idea of trinity, what we have in common with christian belief is the unique status of Jesus - we think he is an important prophet of Good, and that God inspired him the original Bible, christians go much farther, as we all know.
Yup, the signs of the strained relationship between islam and it's borrowed ladder even at the very beginning.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 19, 2022 at 3:48 pm)R00tKiT Wrote:
(August 19, 2022 at 3:31 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: No matter, ultimately, as I think we both know that there are any number of more recent beliefs and religions whose closer space in time to us is not taken by you to be indicative of it's greater accuracy.  

Well I would be happy to grant that the Book of Mormon is 100% accurate, which is to say this book contains exactly what Joseph Smith intended for it to. I don't know why you think this argument is disingenuous, as a book being accurate doesn't mean it's true.. so an atheist is not really doing Muslims a huge favor by granting them that the Qur'an is preserved.

(August 19, 2022 at 3:31 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Mhm, that's exactly what I just said.  That was islams first problem - the rest was just a pile-on.  I consider that to be the pure tragedy of the religion - as it didn't have to do that.  It ends up expressing a far more progressive view of the world than it's predecessors and alot of the hinkiest shit can be directly tied to it's having held it's own credibility hostage to those other comparatively retrograde faiths.

The Qur'an boldly rejected many christian doctrines, chiefly the idea of trinity, what we have in common with christian belief is the unique status of Jesus - we think he is an important prophet of God, and that God inspired him the original Bible, christians go much farther, as we all know.

(Bold mine)

I invite you to reflect on that statement.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(August 19, 2022 at 3:48 pm)R00tKiT Wrote:

What does the word 'accurate' mean to you?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I meant by a book being accurate that no textual error was made in its production. But it looks like the primary definiton of "accurate" is in fact correct/true . Anyway sorry for butchering the english term, english isn't my native language.
The new testament, also, says exactly what it's authors wanted it to. They went to a considerable amount of trouble to ensure that it did. They, ofc, also believed that their magic man really said the stuff inside. Really did the stuff inside. Really was who it says he was.
(August 19, 2022 at 5:31 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: The new testament, also, says exactly what it's authors wanted it to.  

Bold mine. It doesn't seem Jesus is the only author, then. We can stop there I think. afaik christians claim the authors are divinely inspired, they already gave up defending the claim that the books are jesus's sayings. Even the claim isn't there anymore.
Is that really something you'd like to quibble about?

Big Mo wasn't the author of your magic book. No, lol, christians have not given up the amusing notion that magic book contains the words of wisdom of their own magic man. No more than you, a muslim, have given up on that same notion. Do you not also continue to believe, as they believe, that your own magic book was divinely inspired?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic Reflection]: What should Muslims do when the verses of God are made fun of? WinterHold 37 6042 September 9, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Dumbest verses in the Quran exMohammed 13 10452 September 2, 2014 at 1:43 am
Last Post: psychoslice
  Favorite hadiths and verses. Mystic 25 12404 October 7, 2013 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
Information Some Verses From The Quran Xinharmonisi 16 12607 August 1, 2010 at 4:41 am
Last Post: mo3taz3nbar