Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 1:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith?
RE: For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith?
(January 11, 2023 at 10:32 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(January 11, 2023 at 10:29 am)tjdisc Wrote: I left Catholicism when I came to true knowledge and relationship with Christ.

How did you do that?

He revealed Himself to me.  His words as recorded in the gospels (at the time Matthew) made a tremendous impact on me.  In a world of lies and deception, His words struck me to my core as Truth.  So I became His disciple which involves seeking/following Him.  And that is a walk in Him in which there is a personal relationship with Him.  "Give us this day our daily bread" that is a daily revelation and walk with Him.  It's spiritual bread - truth and revelation.
(January 11, 2023 at 10:29 am)tjdisc Wrote: I left Catholicism when I came to true knowledge and relationship with Christ.

Which flavor of non-Catholic Christianity did you embrace?
(November 17, 2022 at 5:23 am)HankMoody316 Wrote:
(November 14, 2022 at 5:58 pm)Ahriman Wrote: How can you say Christianity is a false religion, but Mormonism isn't? Mormonism is based on Christianity, so if the latter is false, the former is as well.

The bible says to judge a tree by its fruits. How can anyone take an honest look at the "fruits" of Christianity and not realize that it is a false religion? I'll share a "dirty little secret" about what some Mormons (but not all Mormons) think about "so-called Christians". 

We secretly believe that the son of our God (Jesus) died on the cross but that Christians are taking advantage of the most magnanimous act that God ever did and have usurped God's sacrifice for their own selfish purposes & self-interests. Do you know how many "so-called Christians" actually read the bible and know what's in it? Some of us Mormons do -- I don't want to share too many of our methods but we secretly study them and verify our beliefs about "so-called Christians" and enter our combined data into spreadsheets. 

Less than 1/5 of Christians actually read the bible and know what's in it. If you don't believe me, go to Wikipedia and search for "the list of books that are included in the bible" and join a Christian discord or strike up a "reddit friendship" with a Christian and act like you are their friend and ask them the following easy question:

Tell me 2 things that happened or are described in the book of <random> from the bible? 🤔

Between 80% - 90% of Christians will fail this easy task outside the most obvious books (such as Genesis where God made Adam & Eve) or the 4 gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) where all the Jesus-stuff happened...

The bible is a tool to point to God, but it is not God, nor can it truly properly represent Him.  It's finite and God is infinite.  Imagine someone writing a biography of your father (assuming you are/were really close to him) can you imagine it capturing perfectly every aspect of how YOU know/knew him - in all details?  It can't.  True relationship with Him can only be experienced and the bible can assist as a tool but can't truly represent.
(January 11, 2023 at 11:02 am)Jehanne Wrote:

Which flavor of non-Catholic Christianity did you embrace?

I was involved in many different Protestant denominations.  None are perfect.  I probably came to a better appreciation of Catholicism in my experience, but there is no true perfect church sect/denomination.  I'm not dogmatic in any sense so my beliefs would be rejected by most churches.  His true church supersedes and crosses all religious boundaries.
(January 11, 2023 at 11:00 am)tjdisc Wrote:
(January 11, 2023 at 10:32 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: How did you do that?

He revealed Himself to me.  His words as recorded in the gospels (at the time Matthew) made a tremendous impact on me.  In a world of lies and deception, His words struck me to my core as Truth.  So I became His disciple which involves seeking/following Him.  And that is a walk in Him in which there is a personal relationship with Him.  "Give us this day our daily bread" that is a daily revelation and walk with Him.  It's spiritual bread - truth and revelation.

How do you know it was Jesus? Maybe it was Satan fooling you into thinking it was Jesus. Maybe you accidentally let Satan into your soul.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(January 11, 2023 at 11:50 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(January 11, 2023 at 11:00 am)tjdisc Wrote: He revealed Himself to me.  His words as recorded in the gospels (at the time Matthew) made a tremendous impact on me.  In a world of lies and deception, His words struck me to my core as Truth.  So I became His disciple which involves seeking/following Him.  And that is a walk in Him in which there is a personal relationship with Him.  "Give us this day our daily bread" that is a daily revelation and walk with Him.  It's spiritual bread - truth and revelation.

How do you know it was Jesus? Maybe it was Satan fooling you into thinking it was Jesus. Maybe you accidentally let Satan into your soul.
'
Satan didn't say what Jesus said.  Satan doesn't say "Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you."  Satan (temporarily) rules this physical realm using his ways - power, deception, death and destruction which are the embodiments of how he rules.  He hates us - hates God's plan for us and seeks to destroy us and prove we are not worthy to rule with Christ.

So ultimately when Jesus is embraced, one becomes at enmity with this world because Jesus' way is ridiculed here.  That's probably an easy way of identifying it is Christ I have relationship with, not Satan.  It comes with cost.  The world and Satan are at enmity with Christ and His message that can set one free.
(January 11, 2023 at 12:02 pm)tjdisc Wrote:
(January 11, 2023 at 11:50 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: How do you know it was Jesus? Maybe it was Satan fooling you into thinking it was Jesus. Maybe you accidentally let Satan into your soul.
'
Satan didn't say what Jesus said.  Satan doesn't say "Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you."  Satan (temporarily) rules this physical realm using his ways - power, deception, death and destruction which are the embodiments of how he rules.  He hates us - hates God's plan for us and seeks to destroy us and prove we are not worthy to rule with Christ.

So ultimately when Jesus is embraced, one becomes at enmity with this world because Jesus' way is ridiculed here.  That's probably an easy way of identifying it is Christ I have relationship with, not Satan.  It comes with cost.  The world and Satan are at enmity with Christ and His message that can set one free.

This is a sermon. You are preaching as opposed to actually addressing the question. The question was, "How do you know..."
(January 11, 2023 at 12:31 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 11, 2023 at 12:02 pm)tjdisc Wrote: '

This is a sermon.  You are preaching as opposed to actually addressing the question.  The question was, "How do you know..."

Well I was seeking to address the how do I know it's not Satan.  Because Satan doesn't represent what Christ represents.  When I embraced Jesus and His teachings, He was involved with that.  He revealed Himself to me - and continues to more and more each day, like any relationship that grows.  I apologize - I don't mean to sound "preachy" about it.
(January 11, 2023 at 12:40 pm)tjdisc Wrote:
(January 11, 2023 at 12:31 pm)Jehanne Wrote: This is a sermon.  You are preaching as opposed to actually addressing the question.  The question was, "How do you know..."

Well I was seeking to address the how do I know it's not Satan.  Because Satan doesn't represent what Christ represents.  When I embraced Jesus and His teachings, He was involved with that.  He revealed Himself to me - and continues to more and more each day, like any relationship that grows.  I apologize - I don't mean to sound "preachy" about it.

Without meeting Satan or at least talking to him on the phone, how do you know anything at all about him?
Satan is much stronger than Jesus, that's why Satan rules this world and Jesus is a salty punk who changed nothing.
"Imagination, life is your creation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 15061 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 62091 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 23479 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 5659 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 8797 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
Question [Serious] Christians what would change your mind? Xaventis 154 12609 August 20, 2020 at 7:11 am
  why faith fails Drich 43 5364 January 23, 2020 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Haipule
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 7333 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 9730 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 21019 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah