Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 3:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The speed of light, stars, and YEC?
RE: The speed of light, stars, and YEC?
(December 8, 2011 at 6:41 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: The more important thing to realize is that the Big Bang cosmological model has the same issue; the universe is not nearly old enough to account for the uniformity of radiation we observe today. So anyone who points to this as a problem for creationism is actually pointing out a huge problem with their own cosmological model.

Not to drudge up ancient history in this thread, but I didn't see this fallacy addressed anywhere. Nothing makes my blood boil like misstating accepted science as if it were "incorrect" and thus proving the opposite... Statler's statement here is completely and utterly a LIE based on wishful thinking. In fact, the background radiation of the universe was measured and pointed EXACTLY to the big bang. The cosmological radiation matches up with everything else we know about the cosmological model.... it most certainly is not, and never will be, evidence for the ignorant conclusion that the universe is 6000(!) years old...
(December 16, 2011 at 1:52 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: https://www.answersingenesis.org/content...ention.pdf

So now that you are going to read the article, I will expect you to not post any further “refutations” that were already addressed in the original article.

Let me start by saying that I know nothing about cosmology. There. I'm an idiot, but I'll still respond.

Quote:The anisotropic synchrony convention is just that—a convention. It is not a scientific model; it does not make testable predictions. It is a convention of measurement and cannot be falsified any more than the metric system can be falsified. However, I have made an argument in this paper that the Bible uses the ASC system. This claim is in principle falsifiable, though of course I have argued that it is true. Furthermore, given the information in Genesis and the inference that the Bible does use ASC, we can construct a cosmology that does make testable predictions. I will refer to this as the “ASC model.”

I think I agree with that. Nothing wrong with pretending light particles move a different speeds for different observers; even if it seems a bit silly to me.

Also nothing wrong with concluding the Bible uses the ASC system. But those testable predictions sound interesting.

Quote:“ASC is more mathematically complex than the Einstein synchrony convention. Therefore, by Occam’s razor, Einstein synchrony is more likely to be correct.” This objection also fails for two reasons. First, Occam’s razor applies to competing models, not alternative conventions. It would be ridiculous to argue that the metric system is more likely to be “correct” than the English system on the basis that it is mathematically
simpler. A system of measurement cannot be “correct” or “incorrect”, though it may be “useful” or “not useful.” Likewise, the Einstein synchrony convention and ASC are two different systems of measurement (like English units and metric), and one can be converted to the other. They are
not competing models.

This may be the case for the ASC convention, but certainly not for the ASC model. Occam's razor should apply to the model and its predictions.

Quote:Second, by arguing that one measurement system is “correct,” this hypothetical critic exhibits non-Relativistic thinking. He has denied the conventionality thesis in which we understand that both ASC and Einstein synchronization are legitimate synchrony conventions in Special Relativity. Even for those people familiar with Relativity, it is all too easy to slip back into pre-Einstein thinking, in which we intuitively feel that the one-way speed of light (and hence a given synchrony convention) can be “true” or “false.” But that simply isn’t so. Synchrony conventions are stipulated. They are not a property of the universe that can be investigated.

Again, no argument there. Just that this only applies to the convention, not the model or its predictions.

On to the predictions!

Quote:Consider blue stars. Blue, O-type, stars are the hottest and most luminous stars in the universe. Although they are more massive than their yellow and red counterparts, their high luminosity means that they use up their fuel much more quickly than other stars. The hottest blue stars cannot last more than a million years or so. Moreover, it is well known that spontaneous star formation is riddled with theoretical difficulties (overcoming internal gas pressure, angular momentum, and magnetic fields) and lacks any significant observational support.

Lack of observational support and theoretical difficulties? Just like for the existence of (a) God?

Spontaneous star formation vs. spontaneous supreme being formation (a being which subsequently creates the universe). I think Occam's razor serves us well here; the former requires far fewer assumptions than the latter.

(Again, I am no cosmologist. I cannot comment on the validity of the claim that there are theoretical difficulties. But even if there are, I can still apply Occam's razor.)

Quote:This is particularly problematic for blue stars since they have the greatest mass. If blue stars do not form, then their presence in any region of space suggests that that region was created in the recent past. Blue stars are ubiquitous in our galaxy, and are apparently in the most distant spiral galaxies as well. This is a strong confirmation of the ASC model. The fact that numerous blue stars exist at all distances is consistent with a universe that is thousands of years old at all distances as we now see it.

"I have not seen people put Twinkies in stores, therefore God must be creating them on the spot!"

So, if I assume God exists and no model for the formation of blue stars is ever found, I will have "a strong confirmation of the ASC model". Not the kind of evidence I was looking for, really. Lack of evidence or theory for the formation of blue stars does not equate to proof of creation. That's just silly. Again, Occam is our friend.

The whole point of this exercise was to prove that we can make testable prediction about cosmology based on Genesis (see above). The above is not a prediction, it merely states observed facts and points at missing evidence.

The rest of the proofs for the model in the paper can likewise be dismissed. Thanks for wasting my time. It was fun.
Regardless of what AIG claims about blue giant stars and "problems" with star formation - the existence of low-mass white dwarfs cannot be accounted for in a universe that is not ancient.

AIG's tortured "explanations" aren't supported by science at all. This nonsense has been refuted thoroughly countless times already.
Like a broken fucking record. Just preach over it, why don't ya!

[All they can do]

Yes, I went over with Statler ages ago regarding ASC and the speed of light.
He doesn't seem to quite understand just how impossible space travel would be if we used a different 'convention' than what relativity uses because that would make communication with space probes impossible - communications would arrive to the probes at half the speed of light and return instantaneously.

Nevermind that 'instantaneous' travel being impossible and our assumptions about C have thus far been proven correct as far as telescopes can see - nevermind the practical applications both on the ground and in space that all rely on relativity being absolutely correct.

I'm sorry, Statler, but simply using a 'different measuring tool' doesn't make ASC's idea that the physical constants of the universe aren't exactly the same regardless of the observer's position - including the speed of light and there's plenty of data (like NASA's entire history of space travel) to prove it.

Earth does not have a special position in the universe. It never has. It will live and die just like any other planet in the universe - as such, ASC's method of cheating the speed of light to make the universe younger does not work.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
(December 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: I'm sorry, Statler, but simply using a 'different measuring tool' doesn't make ASC's idea that the physical constants of the universe aren't exactly the same regardless of the observer's position - including the speed of light and there's plenty of data (like NASA's entire history of space travel) to prove it.

That's the bit that confused me in the article. Is the author suggesting that the speed of light is different in relation to Earth, or in relation to the observer? Both seem ludicrous, and I can come up with all sorts of problems for both, but it was never quite clear to me from the article which of these nutty proposals it was putting forward.
It was probably never quite clear to the proponent of the argument either, so don't feel bad. Smile
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 21, 2011 at 1:32 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It was probably never quite clear to the proponent of the argument either, so don't feel bad. Smile

I was afraid you were going to say that.

A shame. I'd liked to have understood better exactly why the article was total bs.
Well, "creation scientists" are never actually looking for a model of anything. They have their model, the OT. They feel that it is complete and accurate. What they do look to do is criticize, insert doubt, etc in any area where evidence leads us to conclude something that would be contradictory with the OT. Nothing wrong with criticism or doubt (the OT focus is trash), but it would be nice if they took it a little farther. Sadly, once they've given an alternative that "sounds sciencey" and would seem to fit with their religious narrative that's where the train stops (most times).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The speed of light, stars, and YEC?
I see Statler hasn't been back.....
Hee, hee hee.....
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 593 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8292 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In light of a tragic event... dyresand 10 3638 October 14, 2015 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Question for Christians who are not YEC's Forsaken 16 4060 November 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Even Pat Robertson thinks YEC's are morons! SteelCurtain 10 2728 May 15, 2014 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  I'm a YEC. Challenge me. JeffB 342 150951 November 14, 2013 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Dionysius
  YEC becomes OEC? Phil 3 1428 April 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: orogenicman