Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 8:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think Atheists are stupid?
RE: Do you think Atheists are stupid?
(January 3, 2024 at 10:55 pm)Ahriman Wrote: You don't have physical evidence for the existence of gravity. Do you think gravity is real?

(picks up paintbrush from left side of desk, and drops it)

(paintbrush falls)

(picks up small clay sculpture, and drops it)

(sculpture falls)

I dunno, Ahriman - something clearly physical is going on here, and it's pretty consistent, so I'm inclined to believe that the phenomenon of gravity is real. What it actually is doesn't really matter at the moment. If there's a Gravity Faerie pulling things down and she wants something from me in exchange for her services, I'm sure she'll be in touch; otherwise, I'm proceeding on the assumption that there's a non-supernatural cause.
(January 3, 2024 at 11:08 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(January 3, 2024 at 10:55 pm)Ahriman Wrote: You don't have physical evidence for the existence of gravity. Do you think gravity is real?

(picks up paintbrush from left side of desk, and drops it)

(paintbrush falls)

(picks up small clay sculpture, and drops it)

(sculpture falls)

I dunno, Ahriman - something clearly physical is going on here, and it's pretty consistent, so I'm inclined to believe that the phenomenon of gravity is real.  What it actually is doesn't really matter at the moment.  If there's a Gravity Faerie pulling things down and she wants something from me in exchange for her services, I'm sure she'll be in touch; otherwise, I'm proceeding on the assumption that there's a non-supernatural cause.

And where does gravity come from? Why do things fall when you drop them?
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(January 3, 2024 at 11:13 pm)Ahriman Wrote: And where does gravity come from? Why do things fall when you drop them?

Doesn't currently matter to me, because it works consistently and repeatedly.

Unlike prayer.
(January 3, 2024 at 11:23 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(January 3, 2024 at 11:13 pm)Ahriman Wrote: And where does gravity come from? Why do things fall when you drop them?

Doesn't currently matter to me, because it works consistently and repeatedly.

Unlike prayer.

Prayer works, albeit not consistently or repeatedly. But it does work.
(January 3, 2024 at 11:23 pm)Astreja Wrote: Doesn't currently matter to me, because {gravity} works consistently and repeatedly.

Unlike prayer.

(January 3, 2024 at 11:26 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Prayer works, albeit not consistently or repeatedly. But it does work.

If it's not consistent, I don't think that it's wise to depend upon it for anything important.
(January 3, 2024 at 11:32 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(January 3, 2024 at 11:23 pm)Astreja Wrote: Doesn't currently matter to me, because {gravity} works consistently and repeatedly.

Unlike prayer.

(January 3, 2024 at 11:26 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Prayer works, albeit not consistently or repeatedly. But it does work.

If it's not consistent, I don't think that it's wise to depend upon it for anything important.

You're right. It's not dependable. But since it does work, in some capacity, it doesn't hurt to go ahead and do it anyway.
(January 3, 2024 at 11:36 pm)Ahriman Wrote: You're right. It's not dependable. But since it does work, in some capacity, it doesn't hurt to go ahead and do it anyway.

Me, I wouldn't bother. I'd know that there was no faith behind it. It might be different for someone with faith - it might give them the morale boost they need to get through a bad situation - but they should also try to resolve the problem through their own efforts as well.
(January 3, 2024 at 11:32 pm)Astreja Wrote:

Unlike prayer.

not consistent being interchangeable with 0% success rate.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(January 3, 2024 at 11:43 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(January 3, 2024 at 11:36 pm)Ahriman Wrote: You're right. It's not dependable. But since it does work, in some capacity, it doesn't hurt to go ahead and do it anyway.

Me, I wouldn't bother.  I'd know that there was no faith behind it.  It might be different for someone with faith - it might give them the morale boost they need to get through a bad situation - but they should also try to resolve the problem through their own efforts as well.

It doesn't require faith. Prayer is prayer. Some seemingly lousy little shit prayer, that you recited with honest intent, will have some kind of effect.
(January 3, 2024 at 10:55 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(January 3, 2024 at 10:53 pm)Astreja Wrote: "God exists" *is* a religious claim, and I've never had faith in the existence of any god.  In order for me to believe in a god, it would have to be real in a tangible sense - actual physical evidence of the god itself.

You don't have physical evidence for the existence of gravity. Do you think gravity is real?

What exactly do you think the evidence for gravity is?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things Atheists say... Authari 26 1922 January 9, 2024 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 4839 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What do atheists think of pagans and wiccans Woah0 56 5060 September 18, 2022 at 5:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1172 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 8129 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico
  Who do you think is best atheist of our times? GGG 70 8420 January 22, 2019 at 10:19 am
Last Post: GGG
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 13015 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why Are Xtians So Stupid? Minimalist 31 5182 October 7, 2018 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why Are Atheists so Stupid Neo-Scholastic 125 18396 October 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2360 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet