Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 27, 2024, 4:14 am

Poll: How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory?
This poll is closed.
I believe! I have faith!
0%
0 0%
Big bang theory? More like the big stupid theory! amirite?
100.00%
1 100.00%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory?
RE: How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory?
(January 5, 2024 at 2:01 pm)neil Wrote: Like dark energy, or something pertaining to dark matter? I'm actually not sure that I would know the answer to this question - I'm really asking.

Perhaps? I don't know. I don't know if dark matter or dark energy are growing.

(January 5, 2024 at 1:59 pm)neil Wrote: When you mentioned that "gravitational redshift isn't a thing", earlier, would that include photons from very distance sources that pass near large sequences of galaxies on their route to us?

No.  A photon does not change energy by the gravity it encounters on its trip.  Gravity is a conservative field.  Any energy gained from falling into a gravity well is lost by the same amount when coming out.

Gravitational redshift only occurs by the photon "originating" in a gravity well, and being observed in flatter space.  In that case, it is the time dilation within the gravity well (where the photon is created) compared to where it is observed that causes the shift.
(January 5, 2024 at 2:18 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(January 5, 2024 at 2:01 pm)neil Wrote: Like dark energy, or something pertaining to dark matter? I'm actually not sure that I would know the answer to this question - I'm really asking.

Perhaps? I don't know. I don't know if dark matter or dark energy are growing.

If dark matter or dark energy are growing, what would that suggest?

Same with if dark matter or dark energy are not growing - what would this suggest?

There may even be a third possibility to consider: what if dark matter or dark energy are shrinking - what would this suggest? 

Thinking
(January 5, 2024 at 2:22 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote:
(January 5, 2024 at 1:59 pm)neil Wrote: When you mentioned that "gravitational redshift isn't a thing", earlier, would that include photons from very distance sources that pass near large sequences of galaxies on their route to us?

No.  A photon does not change energy by the gravity it encounters on its trip.  Gravity is a conservative field.  Any energy gained from falling into a gravity well is lost by the same amount when coming out.

Gravitational redshift only occurs by the photon "originating" in a gravity well, and being observed in flatter space.  In that case, it is the time dilation within the gravity well (where the photon is created) compared to where it is observed that causes the shift.

I posed the following question to ChatGPT: "Is it possible for spacetime curvature to produce a redshift?"

Here's what it responded with (note - errors with copy/paste formatting fixed):
Quote:Yes, spacetime curvature can produce a redshift in the context of general relativity. This effect is known as gravitational redshift, and it arises due to the warping of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and gravity.

In the presence of a massive object, such as a star or a massive galaxy, spacetime is curved. When light travels through this curved spacetime, its path is altered, and the frequency of the light changes. As a result, the observed wavelength of the light is shifted, and this shift is toward the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum.

The gravitational redshift (z) can be quantified using the formula:

z = Δλ/λ0 = GM/(c²R)

where:
  • z is the redshift,
  • Δλ is the change in wavelength,
  • λ0 is the initial (rest) wavelength of the light,
  • G is the gravitational constant,
  • M is the mass of the gravitating object,
  • c is the speed of light, and
  • R is the distance from the center of the massive object.
The greater the mass of the object and the closer the observer is to it, the larger the gravitational redshift. Gravitational redshift has been experimentally verified and is an essential aspect of general relativity. It has practical implications, such as in the study of the redshift of light from stars near massive objects, like black holes.

Thoughts?
(January 6, 2024 at 3:26 am)neil Wrote: Thoughts?

None.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Why are my red flags going off every time someone just throws something at the forum wall and ends with "thoughts"?
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(January 6, 2024 at 1:17 pm)Deesse23 Wrote: Why are my red flags going off every time someone just throws something at the forum wall and ends with "thoughts"?

Because we have seen the pattern before....over and over again.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(January 6, 2024 at 1:17 pm)Deesse23 Wrote: Why are my red flags going off every time someone just throws something at the forum wall and ends with "thoughts"?

I said "Thoughts?" because I simply didn't want to write out a very long, boring, rambly-sounding question or series of questions which were open-ended anyways, but I'm curious about these red flags of yours - please tell me about them.
(January 6, 2024 at 1:34 pm)neil Wrote:

I said "Thoughts?" because I simply didn't want to write out a very long, boring, rambly-sounding question or series of questions which were open-ended anyways, but I'm curious about these red flags of yours - please tell me about them.

You started out long, boring, and rambly sounding.  Why not stay with that style?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(January 6, 2024 at 3:26 am)neil Wrote: I posed the following question to ChatGPT: "Is it possible for spacetime curvature to produce a redshift?"

Here's what it responded with (note - errors with copy/paste formatting fixed):

Thoughts?

I've seen AI get things miserably wrong. I don't trust it and you shouldn't either.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 11485 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 468913 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2591 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 9635 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2417 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7694 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 14453 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4586 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2443 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 29453 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X