Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 3:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
2024 US Presidential Election
RE: 2024 US Presidential Election
We have gotten to the 'Whatever the meaning of 'is' is.' part of the Trump circus.

Just a short clip of the article to demonstrate.

Trump called January 6 ‘beautiful’ and rioters ‘hostages.’ His lawyer calls them ‘criminal’ and ‘shameful’ (msn.com)

On Thursday, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson pressed the former president’s attorney for his “position” on the events of that day.

January 6 was a “riot,” according to attorney Jonathan Mitchell. An insurrection, he said, “needs to be an organised, concerted effort” to overthrow the government.
“A chaotic effort to overthrow the government is not an insurrection?” Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson fired back.
“We didn’t concede that it’s an effort to overthrow the government, either,” Mr Mitchell said. “This was a riot. It was not an insurrection. The events were shameful, criminal, violent – all of those things. But it did not qualify as insurrection.”

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(February 8, 2024 at 12:30 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(February 6, 2024 at 4:43 am)Belacqua Wrote: Here he is saying that he met "Mitterrand from Germany I mean from France" shortly after he was elected. 

Mitterrand had been dead for over 20 years. 

However he compares to Trump, I don't think we should say that he's good at public speaking. 

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oRw4ACNbr24

I have been known to say things the are factually wrong that I should have known were wrong. That must mean I have dementia, eh?

It depends on how often you do this, and how disjointed your speech is. 

Recent video shows that Biden's problems go beyond slips of the tongue.
(February 8, 2024 at 5:42 pm)Aegon Wrote: If you're a mainstream lib, you watch liberal cable news and your algorithms are classified as "moderate Democrat." You won't see any really bad Biden moments because your choice of news outlets and social media algorithms sheltered you from them. 

Just like the conservatives won't see Trump's dumbest moments.

You sit here and think, "How the hell can anyone vote for Trump, he is so clearly braindead?" Guess what they're thinking? "How the hell can anyone vote for Biden, he is so clearly braindead?" Unfortunately I think both sides are right. You know who doesn't come across as braindead? Bernard Sanders. Oh lord, what could have been in 2016...

This extreme siloing of information is really unfortunate. It's as if two separate realities exist side by side, and neither one is accurate.

I mean, we all accept that Fox can't be trusted. But then people will turn around and believe MSNBC or Anderson Cooper or whoever. Rachel Maddow's lawyers use the same arguments in court that Tucker Carlson's make: she doesn't have to tell the truth because everyone knows it's just entertainment and no sane person would believe her. 

There are still people who believe all that Russiagate nonsense. There are still people who think Hunter's laptop was fake. 

And I agree with you about Sanders. Even at our most cynical, if we think he was just saying those things and didn't mean them, it's a pleasure to hear somebody stand up and let us imagine government doing what it ought to do.
(February 8, 2024 at 10:01 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 5:42 pm)Aegon Wrote: If you're a mainstream lib, you watch liberal cable news and your algorithms are classified as "moderate Democrat." You won't see any really bad Biden moments because your choice of news outlets and social media algorithms sheltered you from them. 

Just like the conservatives won't see Trump's dumbest moments.

You sit here and think, "How the hell can anyone vote for Trump, he is so clearly braindead?" Guess what they're thinking? "How the hell can anyone vote for Biden, he is so clearly braindead?" Unfortunately I think both sides are right. You know who doesn't come across as braindead? Bernard Sanders. Oh lord, what could have been in 2016...

This extreme siloing of information is really unfortunate. It's as if two separate realities exist side by side, and neither one is accurate.

I mean, we all accept that Fox can't be trusted. But then people will turn around and believe MSNBC or Anderson Cooper or whoever. Rachel Maddow's lawyers use the same arguments in court that Tucker Carlson's make: she doesn't have to tell the truth because everyone knows it's just entertainment and no sane person would believe her. 

There are still people who believe all that Russiagate nonsense. There are still people who think Hunter's laptop was fake. 

And I agree with you about Sanders. Even at our most cynical, if we think he was just saying those things and didn't mean them, it's a pleasure to hear somebody stand up and let us imagine government doing what it ought to do.

Help me out here. Where has Maddow been to court for the same sort of stuff Carlson pulls? You posit it as truth, so your sources should be close at hand, and not much effort to reproduce.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(February 8, 2024 at 10:12 pm)Fireball Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 10:01 pm)Belacqua Wrote: This extreme siloing of information is really unfortunate. It's as if two separate realities exist side by side, and neither one is accurate.

Help me out here. Where has Maddow been to court for the same sort of stuff Carlson pulls? You posit it as truth, so your sources should be close at hand, and not much effort to reproduce.

https://timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/u...ISMISS.pdf
(February 8, 2024 at 10:20 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 10:12 pm)Fireball Wrote: Help me out here. Where has Maddow been to court for the same sort of stuff Carlson pulls? You posit it as truth, so your sources should be close at hand, and not much effort to reproduce.

https://timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/u...ISMISS.pdf

The two cases are not really comparable.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 8, 2024 at 10:54 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(February 8, 2024 at 10:20 pm)Belacqua Wrote: https://timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/u...ISMISS.pdf

The two cases are not really comparable.

Judges in both cases ruled that what these "news" people say is not intended as fact. 

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/dis...527808/39/
(February 8, 2024 at 8:44 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: We have gotten to the 'Whatever the meaning of 'is' is.' part of the Trump circus.

Just a short clip of the article to demonstrate.

Trump called January 6 ‘beautiful’ and rioters ‘hostages.’ His lawyer calls them ‘criminal’ and ‘shameful’ (msn.com)

On Thursday, Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson pressed the former president’s attorney for his “position” on the events of that day.

January 6 was a “riot,” according to attorney Jonathan Mitchell. An insurrection, he said, “needs to be an organised, concerted effort” to overthrow the government.
“A chaotic effort to overthrow the government is not an insurrection?” Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson fired back.
“We didn’t concede that it’s an effort to overthrow the government, either,” Mr Mitchell said. “This was a riot. It was not an insurrection. The events were shameful, criminal, violent – all of those things. But it did not qualify as insurrection.”
Also, it looks like the SCOTUS is going out of their way to avoid settling the question of whether Donald Trump actually committed an insurrection on January 6th.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The kind of post-truth arguments used by Maddow and Carlson didn't originate with their lawyers.

The earliest case I know of was the false advertising lawsuit made by the Center for Science in the Public Interest against the Coca Cola company.

Coca Cola was marketing a drink called "Vitamin Water," with endorsements from athletes, which strongly implied that the drink was healthy. In fact it was mostly sugar water.

Coca Cola's lawyers argued that "no consumer could reasonably be misled into thinking vitaminwater was a healthy beverage.” Because nobody should believe what ads say. In that case the judge wasn't satisfied with the argument, but standards appear to have slipped since then.

So Trump is a liar, Biden is a liar, Maddow is a liar, Carlson is a liar, Coca Cola is a liar. But the post-truth society didn't begin with Trump.
Belacqua Wrote:I mean, we all accept that Fox can't be trusted. But then people will turn around and believe MSNBC or Anderson Cooper or whoever.

Fox News constantly promotes hate along the misinformation and targets minorities, but tell me how Anderson Cooper is bad. Like this new headline on Fox News is intentional misinformation on trans care. Fox News is citing the American College of Pediatricians, a misleadingly conversion therapy group that says wives should submit to their husbands

[Image: Headl.jpg]

Belacqua Wrote:There are still people who believe all that Russiagate nonsense.

According The 2019 Mueller report—officially titled Report on the Investigation into Russian Interference in the 2016 Presidential Election— it is not nonsense. The report insists that Russia’s covert “Internet Research Agency” undoubtedly “conducted social media operations targeted at large U.S. audiences with the goal of sowing discord in the U.S. political system.”

Belacqua Wrote:There are still people who think Hunter's laptop was fake.

Especially since Republicans failed to indict him and they tried desperatly.

Belacqua Wrote:So Trump is a liar, Biden is a liar, Maddow is a liar, Carlson is a liar, Coca Cola is a liar. 

At least Putin is not a liar.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1220 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why Trump will win in 2024. Jehanne 237 22643 December 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 955 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 1772 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 1100 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 899 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5969 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1679 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 2050 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  trump the republican asks communist china to investigate his potential election rival Anomalocaris 10 1159 October 4, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris