Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 2:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
2024 US Presidential Election
RE: 2024 US Presidential Election
(February 12, 2024 at 8:16 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(February 12, 2024 at 12:57 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: I take it I have no credibility with you here, at least on matters of politics.

You are temperate in your approach to things. I respect that. 

You are capable of having conversations with people you disagree with, and don't go immediately for insults or bullying, like so many people. 

As to whether we should believe each other, I suppose (as in most cases) we should go case by case. I have been wrong before and if you think I am wrong again I have no problem with you pointing that out. Respectful dialogue is how we progress.

Again, with the passive-aggressive crap.

Go edit your post.  It will still be here.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

(February 12, 2024 at 1:11 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The judge did not say she is not to be believed.

Are their any news commentors with their own  opinion shows who do not state things as if they are fact?  

The main statement she made for which she was sued was (IIRC) that an OAN staff member also writes for a Russian newspaper. That was factually correct. The bloviating surrounding that statement was opinion, and the judge ruled, protected speech.

I suppose we'd have to go back to the original broadcast to see its exact language and tone. 

The issue is whether her statements were clearly presented as opinion or not. Lots of people are paid by Russian publishers who aren't lying for Putin, and a responsible person would take care not to cast aspersion where it's not due. 

Maddow is paid millions every year, and has a large staff of writers. It wouldn't kill her to differentiate entertaining speculation from carefully sourced journalism. Or if she wants to argue that her program is free not to make that distinction, then I see no reason to believe anything she says. 

Anyway, the larger issue is that corporate media are not objective. They push their propaganda. We all know what Fox pushes, but too many people remain unaware that the other channels are bad in their own way.
^It must be so comfy there in Putin’s pocket.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(February 12, 2024 at 8:25 pm)Belacqua Wrote: Anyway, the larger issue is that corporate media are not objective. They push their propaganda. We all know what Fox pushes, but too many people remain unaware that the other channels are bad in their own way.

Yet you'd defend Russian writers who work under such draconian press laws that many are currently sitting in prison? Has it occurred to you that those who are still free are free because they toe the party line?

All sources should be vetted, and that includes opinion outlets though they aren't sources per se.

You can also read in small local news organizations that Trump is an evil Russian asset if you don't like the corporate ones.

[Image: Pis.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(February 12, 2024 at 9:55 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(February 12, 2024 at 8:25 pm)Belacqua Wrote: Anyway, the larger issue is that corporate media are not objective. They push their propaganda. We all know what Fox pushes, but too many people remain unaware that the other channels are bad in their own way.

Yet you'd defend Russian writers who work under such draconian press laws that many are currently sitting in prison? Has it occurred to you that those who are still free are free because they toe the party line?

All sources should be vetted, and that includes opinion outlets though they aren't sources per se.

But there are US-based journalists who write for RT, who say that they have no trouble being censored or controlled. Not every word printed by a Russian company is vetted by Putin. 

We can talk to Julian Assange about who gets to sit in prison and who doesn't. 

The artist Ai Wei Wei made a name for himself in the West by criticizing censorship in China. Recently his exhibition in London was cancelled because he said publicly that the Palestinians shouldn't be bombed. 

You are certainly correct that all sources should be vetted.
There's a good joke about this.

A Russian guy and an American guy are seated next to each other on a flight from Moscow to New York.

The American asks "Why are you going to America?"

The Russian says "To study how the Americans make their propaganda so effective."

The American says "What propaganda?"

The Russian says "Exactly."
I am neither watching FOX nor any other US news source. Yet i am coming to the same conclusion as so many others here. So go ahead and tell me that all my non-US new sources are also propaganda...........without knowing what they actually are. Mr. Poisoning-the-well..
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(February 13, 2024 at 3:54 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
I am neither watching FOX nor any other US news source. Yet i am coming to the same conclusion as so many others here. So go ahead and tell me that all my non-US new sources are also propaganda...........without knowing what they actually are. Mr. Poisoning-the-well..

New, more accurate translation of the Putin interview.

I saw it on the Internet so it must be true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfEje1DSOTo
(February 13, 2024 at 4:41 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(February 13, 2024 at 3:54 am)Deesse23 Wrote: I am neither watching FOX nor any other US news source. Yet i am coming to the same conclusion as so many others here. So go ahead and tell me that all my non-US new sources are also propaganda...........without knowing what they actually are. Mr. Poisoning-the-well..

New, more accurate translation of the Putin interview.

I saw it on the Internet so it must be true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfEje1DSOTo

Its kinda fun that you don't realize how stupid you sound.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Presidential age upper limit Thumpalumpacus 28 1180 July 13, 2024 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1360 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why Trump will win in 2024. Jehanne 237 26490 December 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 1065 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 2113 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 1253 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 1035 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 6896 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 2025 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 2303 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger