Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 6, 2024, 5:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russia and Ukraine
RE: Russia and Ukraine
The idea that Russia's "military might" is a fearsome juggernaut rather than a paper tiger is belied by the fact that they're buying rockets and artillery from DPRK, of all suppliers.

They may still win this war. They may still lose this war. Bear in mind that World War I was stalemated until it wasn't, and that once the Eastern Front broke open not only did the Russian army collapse, the Russians sued for peace, and the Tsar's government was
overthrown and then eliminated. All of that was unforeseeable as late as February 1917.

This Russian army is certainly a shadow of the one I trained to fight in the 80's.
(February 23, 2024 at 1:31 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: The idea that Russia's "military might" is a fearsome juggernaut rather than a paper tiger is belied by the fact that they're buying rockets and artillery from DPRK, of all suppliers.

They may still win this war. They may still lose this war. Bear in mind that World War I was stalemated until it wasn't, and that once the Eastern Front broke open not only did the Russian army collapse, the Russians sued for peace, and the Tsar's government was
overthrown and then eliminated. All of that was unforeseeable as late as February 1917.

By every metric that matters, Russia has already lost this war. Massive loss of life and equipment, shit morale, a laughing stock on the world stage, and (most importantly) failure to achieve any of the stated objectives.

Russia could take the whole country, install a puppet government in Kyiv, and they will STILL have lost the war. At this point, all they can do is win battles.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(February 23, 2024 at 7:56 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Russia could take the whole country, install a puppet government in Kyiv, and they will STILL have lost the war. At this point, all they can do is win battles.

Boru

And even if they take the entire country, they will be facing an insurrection fueled by their atrocities. We saw what happened after Afghanistan.

(February 23, 2024 at 7:44 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Where did you come up with that meaning for SOB?

The original meaning is a sexual thing of course: Kuon in ancient Greek means a female dog too. What it really means is an AH beyond repair. Someone who is “bad”. Meaning completely selfish and arrogant, unable of seeing value in things other than himself. In most languages SOB is the top of the top. That person is not a typical jerk or AH but someone who is really beyond that. (Someone builds a personal palace of 200,000 square feet with state funds in are private property are of 180 acres which has vineyard, wine production facilities, a private church an underground ice hockey stadium and many other luxury items while dissidents die in the arctic, citizens are fleeing the countries and those who can’t are getting killed in Ukraine).

Is this a bad definition? Smile Smile

Grandnudger:

Quote:It can be both, Leo. A thief and a madman, judging by this particular smash and grab attempt.

I'd love to see that army of 1.3 million. They're having enough trouble training and equipping the army they have. Gonna be a whole lot of stick and stone brigades. I'm not sure what you would take as evidence that china has supported russia if chinese mortar shells found in the vicinity of dead ukranians doesn't count. Russia can't make enough tanks, russia cant make enough ammo, russia cant train enough soldiers, and russia couldn't feed or clothe them or keep them operational even if they could build or train them.

-and that, is why they wanted a three day war. We're now in year three of putins three day invasion, he remains a master strategist.

I do not entirely disagree with that. But it seems like they are learning from their mistakes and they are reforming and regrouping. Some people do as far as saying that Ukraine might have to surrender if Western aid was to stop:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukraine-cant-...13024.html

And even with continued with Western support, we do not know for sure if they will really be able to recover the territories that were occupied by Russia either. So I am  beginning to think that perhaps that might not be possible at all. Yes, Ukranians are more motivated and better equipped than Russians but they are still human beings. It’s hard. 2 years into an a war of attrition is not an east task for anyone. Sad

So this is a no choice situation. This is definitely not easy after three decades of peaceful coexistence between all major powers.

I would agree with any peace plan (including leaving Crimea + Donbass + other occupied areas to Russia) but the man is a gangster. He is not to be trusted: The week before the invasion he probably repeated 20 times that he won’t attack Ukraine. How do you deal with that kind of person? Sad
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

(February 24, 2024 at 8:41 am)Leonardo17 Wrote:
(February 23, 2024 at 7:44 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Where did you come up with that meaning for SOB?

The original meaning is a sexual thing of course: Kuon in ancient Greek means a female dog too. What it really means is an AH beyond repair. Someone who is “bad”. Meaning completely selfish and arrogant, unable of seeing value in things other than himself. In most languages SOB is the top of the top. That person is not a typical jerk or AH but someone who is really beyond that. (Someone builds a personal palace of 200,000 square feet with state funds in are private property are of 180 acres which has vineyard, wine production facilities, a private church an underground ice hockey stadium and many other luxury items while dissidents die in the arctic, citizens are fleeing the countries and those who can’t are getting killed in Ukraine).

Is this a bad definition? Smile Smile

SoB may also be said of someone who's tough, in which case it's often a grudging compliment.

They're not two years into a war of attrition Leo. It's been three since the full scale invasion and ten since the war began for them. I think it's amazing that ten years into this conflict, when they've finally managed to grind russia down to a nub, people are telling them to quit now. The whole bit is absurd, and you hit the nail right on the head anyway. Putin isn't going to honor any agreement he makes, so why make one?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 24, 2024 at 3:44 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: They're not two years into a war of attrition Leo.  It's been three since the full scale invasion and ten since the war began for them.  I think it's amazing that ten years into this conflict, when they've finally managed to grind russia down to a nub, people are telling them to quit now.  The whole bit is absurd, and you hit the nail right on the head anyway.  Putin isn't going to honor any agreement he makes, so why make one?

Actually it has only been two years since the full invasion, which happened 24 Feb 2022.

Like clockwork. The howls for surrender reach a fevered pitch...and russia loses another a-50, another IL-22, and the largest steel plant in russia is razed by ukranian drones.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Let me share some numbers because it helps us to see things with more perspective.

Zelensky said recently the numbers of Ukrainians killed in action was 31,000. According to international sources that number is closer to 70,000 (= the number of US soldiers killed during the 20 year Vietnam war [Total death of US + allies is 300,000]).

He also said that 180,000 Russian soldiers were killed. Again, international sources say this number is closer to 120,000. So that’s 2 for each Ukrainian soldier.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zelenskiy-say...42146.html

There is a Ukrainian propaganda machine as well as a Russian propaganda machine. While the Russian propaganda machine works to create and maintain an alternate reality of some sort, the Ukrainian propaganda machine likes to amplify existing realities and that’s rather normal  Cool
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  China & Russia Silver 32 3362 November 29, 2023 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  China and Russia's presidents -both- absent from the G20 WinterHold 16 1844 October 1, 2023 at 8:09 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Russia's massive brain drain is ravaging the economy LinuxGal 0 480 September 3, 2023 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Nato, Sweden, Vilnius, Ukraine etc. Nishant Xavier 53 4435 August 7, 2023 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Proxy war in Ukraine? Angrboda 151 8723 November 8, 2022 at 3:29 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Micheal Cohen lied about Russia Tower deal. Brian37 6 1070 November 29, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  BREAKING:Trump Promises Strike on Syria and Warns Russia Against Backing Assad WinterHold 20 4586 April 14, 2018 at 10:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  We may not be going into WW3 with Russia over Syria after all. Chad32 39 12833 July 16, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  U.S. War Plane Shoots Down A Syrian Jet: Russia Warns Of Consequences A Theist 40 15330 June 21, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Michael Flynn, national security adviser, resigns over Russia contacts c172 48 9916 February 18, 2017 at 11:40 am
Last Post: John V