Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 2:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
2024 US Presidential Election
RE: 2024 US Presidential Election
(June 9, 2024 at 7:43 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(June 9, 2024 at 7:23 pm)Questor Wrote: Thank you, but I was only mentioning that one did not bring up politics or religion in polite conversation at parties.

Although entertaining, I would not describe this forum as a party . . . would you? 

One can, of course discuss the inanities of the parties involved in the current political season. Although a Liberal Constitutionalist, I am always delighted to observe what the various parties are doing, or not doing, to further their aims. 

And as there is no party for Liberal Constitutionalists in America, I am able to takes sides for or against everyone quite freely.

Hang on, there is one member who will show up to befriend you and can be as snarky.  You'll make a good pair.

I knew who you meant, right off the bat. Sure enough, he makes his appearance, downstream.  Hehe These two ought to get a room.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(June 9, 2024 at 9:19 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(June 9, 2024 at 5:47 pm)Questor Wrote: You might say that I am still feeling my way, and autmatically revert to what I know must be acceptable in any company. I daresay I will become more emboldened in time.

On this forum, politeness is only rewarded to those whose opinions fall within a very narrow range of approved ideas. 

Anything you express outside of this range will be met with something other than politeness -- and taking pleasure in bullying people is encouraged. 

If you spend much time here you'll see what is approved and what isn't.

Right on cue.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

^I miss when he and WH were a duo because they were like Hot Lips and Frank Burns.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
What bel meant to say was, if you are an arrogant, self righteous cuntmuffin, expect to be treated as one.
'He is senile': Trump's 'batteries and shark attacks' rant causes mental health questions

Trump on Sunday spoke in Las Vegas, at one point veering off into a discussion about shark attacks while apparently discussing President Joe Biden's environmental priorities related to electric vehicles.

"It must be because of M.I.T., my relationship with M.I.T., very smart, I say, what would happen if the boat sank from its weight, and you have this tremendously powerful battery, and the battery is now underwater and there's a shark that's approximately 10 yards over there ... by the way, a lot of shark attacks lately," Trump said before derailing the conversation with a purported shark attack story. He then rejoins his original tale about the sinking boat, asking, "Do I get electrocuted or do I jump over by the shark?"

Journalist Aaron Rupar posted the clip, writing, "Trump is now ranting about batteries and shark attacks. I dare you to try to make sense of this."

Conservative Army Iraq War Veteran Peter Henlein also chimed in.

"This is incoherent rambling. He is senile," he said, before making a prediction. "He won’t be debating."

Democrat Harry Sisson said, "WHAT?! Trump just ranted about sharks, boats, batteries, and water in an incoherent rant."

"Trump’s brain is malfunctioning every day at this point. This is utter nonsense," he then added. "Go ahead, try to make sense of any of this…"

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-senile-batteries-sharks/
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(June 9, 2024 at 5:47 pm)Questor Wrote:
(June 9, 2024 at 5:35 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Did you think you wandered into a place that requires polite conversation?  If so, you must have taken a wrong turn along the way.

You might say that I am still feeling my way, and autmatically revert to what I know must be acceptable in any company. I daresay I will become more emboldened in time.

Why do I picture this person wearing a monocle and a top hat? I daresay!
(June 9, 2024 at 7:43 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(June 9, 2024 at 7:23 pm)Questor Wrote: Thank you, but I was only mentioning that one did not bring up politics or religion in polite conversation at parties.

Although entertaining, I would not describe this forum as a party . . . would you? 

One can, of course discuss the inanities of the parties involved in the current political season. Although a Liberal Constitutionalist, I am always delighted to observe what the various parties are doing, or not doing, to further their aims. 

And as there is no party for Liberal Constitutionalists in America, I am able to takes sides for or against everyone quite freely.

Hang on, there is one member who will show up to befriend you and can be as snarky.  You'll make a good pair.
Oddly, I was not aware of being snarky, never having known what the word meant. I do not wish to offend anyone, unless I do so deliberately of course. 

Having looked up the meaning at Merriam Wedster, I find I do not understand in what way I am perceived as being so. Which am I?

1. : crotchety, snappish. 2. : sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner. 
(June 10, 2024 at 11:13 am)Questor Wrote:
(June 9, 2024 at 7:43 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Hang on, there is one member who will show up to befriend you and can be as snarky.  You'll make a good pair.
Oddly, I was not aware of being snarky, never having known what the word meant. I do not wish to offend anyone, unless I do so deliberately of course. 

Having looked up the meaning at Merriam Wedster, I find I do not understand in what way I am perceived as being so. Which am I?

1. : crotchety, snappish. 2. : sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner. 

The second sense can be fun for amusing banter. We have some masters of it who are well-liked. Snark isn't necessarily offensive, if it's clever.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(June 9, 2024 at 9:19 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(June 9, 2024 at 5:47 pm)Questor Wrote: You might say that I am still feeling my way, and autmatically revert to what I know must be acceptable in any company. I daresay I will become more emboldened in time.

On this forum, politeness is only rewarded to those whose opinions fall within a very narrow range of approved ideas. 

Anything you express outside of this range will be met with something other than politeness -- and taking pleasure in bullying people is encouraged. 

If you spend much time here you'll see what is approved and what isn't.

You are so predictable and therefore boring.

Was there not a book you could refer to?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

FFS

Trump rants about sharks and death by electrocution after his teleprompter goes out in Las Vegas (msn.com)

Former President Donald Trump's teleprompter apparently broke down at a Las Vegas rally on Sunday, giving the former president free rein to meander into a debate over whether it would be worse to electrocuted or bit by a shark, a rant apparently meant as an indictment of electric vehicles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1220 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why Trump will win in 2024. Jehanne 237 22643 December 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 955 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 1772 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 1100 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 899 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5969 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1679 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 2050 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  trump the republican asks communist china to investigate his potential election rival Anomalocaris 10 1158 October 4, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris