Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 8, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
2024 US Presidential Election
RE: 2024 US Presidential Election
Quote:George Clooney, who just last month hosted a star-studded fundraiser for Joe Biden’s campaign, is reversing course, saying Democrats are “not going to win in November with this president.”

“I love Joe Biden. As a senator. As a vice president and as president. I consider him a friend, and I believe in him. Believe in his character. Believe in his morals. In the last four years, he’s won many of the battles he’s faced,” the “Ticket to Paradise” star, one of Hollywood’s most prominent Democratic supporters, said in an editorial published Wednesday in The New York Times.

“But the one battle he cannot win is the fight against time. None of us can,” Clooney wrote of the 81-year-old commander in chief.

Last month, Clooney joined former President Obama and actor Julia Roberts for a buzzy and record-breaking Los Angeles fundraiser for Biden’s campaign. The event raised $30 million.

But in his New York Times essay, Clooney acknowledged that he observed a difference in Biden at the glitzy fundraiser.

“It’s devastating to say it, but the Joe Biden I was with three weeks ago at the fund-raiser was not the Joe ‘big F-ing deal‘ Biden of 2010. He wasn’t even the Joe Biden of 2020. He was the same man we all witnessed at the debate,” Clooney wrote.

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/47...ork-times/

Looks ok to me.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(July 10, 2024 at 12:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Looks ok to me.

Boru

Is he using a teleprompter?

Even *I* could give a compelling speech with a crew of speech-writers and a teleprompter.

That's saying something.
Disappointing theists since 1968!
(July 10, 2024 at 3:47 pm)A. Secular Human Wrote:
(July 10, 2024 at 12:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Looks ok to me.

Boru

Is he using a teleprompter?

Even *I* could give a compelling speech with a crew of speech-writers and a teleprompter.

That's saying something.

Politicians of all ages use teleprompters, especially for a lengthy speech. And what President hasn’t had ‘a crew of speech-writers’?

But I’m more interested in his focus and delivery than the actual words. This isn’t the Biden from the debate. In fact, the Biden from the debate seems to have been an anomaly.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
“Democrats who are calling for Biden’s removal are playing into a crisis that the media created. There is no statistical support for the idea that voters have left Biden...”

Report Finds Biden Debate Crisis Is A Bogus Media Creation

https://www.politicususa.com/2024/07/10/...bogus.html
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(July 10, 2024 at 6:00 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: “Democrats who are calling for Biden’s removal are playing into a crisis that the media created. There is no statistical support for the idea that voters have left Biden...”

And they are hurting his chances. It's pissing me off! I can see the initial need to have had the conversation but it's over. Joe Biden has made it very clear that he is not going to step aside. The most productive thing now for anyone who has an interest in keeping Trump out of the oval office is to rally behind Biden. Like it or not, he's all we got.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(July 10, 2024 at 6:38 pm)AFTT47 Wrote:
(July 10, 2024 at 6:00 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: “Democrats who are calling for Biden’s removal are playing into a crisis that the media created. There is no statistical support for the idea that voters have left Biden...”

And they are hurting his chances. It's pissing me off! I can see the initial need to have had the conversation but it's over. Joe Biden has made it very clear that he is not going to step aside. The most productive thing now for anyone who has an interest in keeping Trump out of the oval office is to rally behind Biden. Like it or not, he's all we got.

You'd better hope it's enough. GOP will certainly be airing debate clips out the yin-yang in October.

(July 10, 2024 at 6:38 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: And they are hurting his chances. It's pissing me off! I can see the initial need to have had the conversation but it's over. Joe Biden has made it very clear that he is not going to step aside. The most productive thing now for anyone who has an interest in keeping Trump out of the oval office is to rally behind Biden. Like it or not, he's all we got.

Also, if Biden steps down, there will be another coordinated effort to go after Kamala Harris. In fact, its already happening

And if she became the nominee, Trump's team would have SCOTUS contest it.

In some states, ballots are already printed. He’s the damn nominee.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(July 11, 2024 at 12:08 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: And if she became the nominee, Trump's team would have SCOTUS contest it.

I don't think SCOTUS has the standing to dictate which party may nominate which person. Do you have some case law handy?

(July 11, 2024 at 12:08 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: In some states, ballots are already printed. He’s the damn nominee.

If they've printed up ballots before Biden has been nominated, how valid are they? What states have these preprinted ballots, and where might we read more about this?

Yeah, maybe I fell for those articles which claim that Republicans would litigate and sue if Biden gets replaced because reading them you get the impression that Biden is already on the ballots in some states. And considering that Trump has SCOTUS in his pocket, and his team have already started pushing birtherism on Kamala, maybe they could disrupt the process on that if not disqualify her.

Inside the GOP Effort to Make Sure Biden Is the Democratic Nominee

Led by conservative think tank The Heritage Foundation, Republicans are currently looking to guarantee that Biden will be the Democratic nominee — and to make it so that, if Biden withdraws, it won’t be easy to replace him on ballots.

“If the Biden family decides that President Biden will not run for re-election, the mechanisms for replacing him on ballots vary by state,” reads the memo. “There is the potential for pre-election litigation in some states that would make the process difficult and perhaps unsuccessful.”

The upshot was that replacing Biden on the ticket would be “extraordinarily difficult” and that “we would make it extraordinarily difficult,” Oversight Project Executive Director Mike Howell, who authored the memo, told NOTUS this week.

With Biden’s odds of winning looking longer by the minute, organizations like Heritage are pledging litigation to make replacing Biden close to impossible. They suggested they — or their allies — would challenge efforts to replace Biden on the ballot, which would already be difficult given the timing.

“The problem that any potential replacement for Joe Biden would likely run into is that in many states, including in several key states, the deadline for getting on the ballot has already passed,” Zack Smith, a senior legal fellow at Heritage, told NOTUS. “Or in many states, the process for replacing a candidate currently on the ballot just isn’t clearly defined because it happens so rarely.”

The memo identifies Wisconsin, Nevada and Georgia as attractive states for litigation to keep a new Democrat from replacing Biden on the ballot.

https://www.notus.org/2024-election/bide...epublicans

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Presidential age upper limit Thumpalumpacus 28 899 July 13, 2024 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1337 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why Trump will win in 2024. Jehanne 237 24986 December 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 1049 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 2074 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 1238 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 1025 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 6786 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1952 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 2254 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger