Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 19, 2024, 6:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
2024 US Presidential Election
RE: 2024 US Presidential Election
Neil Young Approves Tim Walz's Use of ‘Rockin' in the Free World' After Suing the Trump Campaign For Using It (msn.com)

Neil Young Approves Tim Walz's Use of ‘Rockin' in the Free World' After Suing the Trump Campaign For Using It

Hehe
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

(August 22, 2024 at 7:58 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(August 22, 2024 at 7:51 pm)Silver Wrote: Oprah takes aim at book bans and JD Vance’s ‘childless cat lady’ jibe in surprise DNC speech

Pink News

Quote: [...] people who’d have you believe that books are dangerous and assault rifles are safe [...]

That's a head-shot right there ... so to speak, of course.

Books certainly can be dangerous. Per Stalin quote Ideas are more powerful even than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Switch ideas for books and it's still valid as books like Das Kapital, Mein Kampf or Bible can attest.

Still, in general sense that's right, assault rifles are far more dangerous and books shouldn't be censorder but merely given professional commentary.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
(August 22, 2024 at 10:46 pm)Ivan Denisovich Wrote: Books certainly can be dangerous. Per Stalin quote Ideas are more powerful even than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Switch ideas for books and it's still valid as books like Das Kapital, Mein Kampf or Bible can attest.

Still, in general sense that's right, assault rifles are far more dangerous and books shouldn't be censorder but merely given professional commentary.

Right, the pen is mightier than the sword ... but the sword can decapitate the reader. It really is a toss-up, you cannot exterminate an idea, but you can exterminate believers. Who wins that race?

(August 22, 2024 at 10:55 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(August 22, 2024 at 10:46 pm)Ivan Denisovich Wrote: Books certainly can be dangerous. Per Stalin quote Ideas are more powerful even than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas. Switch ideas for books and it's still valid as books like Das Kapital, Mein Kampf or Bible can attest.

Right, the pen is mightier than the sword ... but the sword can decapitate the reader. It really is a toss-up, you cannot exterminate an idea, but you can exterminate believers. Who wins that race?

In world scale I would say book as they can inspire massive change (who knows how Russia history would look like if Lenin wouldn't read Kapital). Single gun can't do anything on that scale (though Gavrilo Princip would perhaps disagree). In daily life however it is gun that reigns supreme.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

Socrates.
(August 22, 2024 at 11:00 pm)Ivan Denisovich Wrote:
(August 22, 2024 at 10:55 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Right, the pen is mightier than the sword ... but the sword can decapitate the reader. It really is a toss-up, you cannot exterminate an idea, but you can exterminate believers. Who wins that race?

In world scale I would say book as they can inspire massive change (who knows how Russia history would look like if Lenin wouldn't read Kapital). Single gun can't do anything on that scale (though Gavrilo Princip would perhaps disagree). In daily life however it is gun that reigns supreme.

Right -- and how many voters look at this in a global scale?

You can't kill an idea, but you sure as hell can secure your own graft, by hook or by crook.

Maybe one day ...

(August 22, 2024 at 11:06 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(August 22, 2024 at 11:00 pm)Ivan Denisovich Wrote: In world scale I would say book as they can inspire massive change (who knows how Russia history would look like if Lenin wouldn't read Kapital). Single gun can't do anything on that scale (though Gavrilo Princip would perhaps disagree). In daily life however it is gun that reigns supreme.

Right -- and how many voters look at this in a global scale?

You can't kill an idea, but you sure as hell can secure your own graft, by hook or by crook.

Maybe one day ...

Not many I suppose. That's why I said that in general sense Oprah quote was right.

Mikhail Bakunin.

Socrates.
(August 22, 2024 at 10:55 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:

‘Though the pen is mightier than the sword, the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment.’ - Leonard Wibberly, The Mouse That Roared

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
I gotta say that for me this leadup to the election has gone from a gut-dropping "here we go again" to a renewed feeling of hope for the country.

74 days till election day and more and more big, popular supporters are getting on board the Kamala train.
[Image: MmQV79M.png]  

(August 23, 2024 at 6:17 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I gotta say that for me this leadup to the election has gone from a gut-dropping "here we go again" to a renewed feeling of hope for the country.  

74 days till election day and more and more big, popular supporters are getting on board the Kamala train.

My cautious optimism has ticked up a bit since learning that the Obamas are going to actively campaign for Harris.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(August 23, 2024 at 6:17 am)arewethereyet Wrote: I gotta say that for me this leadup to the election has gone from a gut-dropping "here we go again" to a renewed feeling of hope for the country.  

I'm sleeping better, that's for sure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Presidential age upper limit Thumpalumpacus 28 1122 July 13, 2024 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1354 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why Trump will win in 2024. Jehanne 237 25255 December 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 1056 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 2097 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Biden's first Presidential adress. Brian37 11 1249 April 30, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 1031 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 6850 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 2003 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Your Presidential Candidate. onlinebiker 17 2283 November 2, 2019 at 1:26 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger