Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 9:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Atheism is a religion
RE: Atheism is a religion
You are just making up a God in your head so you can refute it. You assign your personal God a gender? Pathetic.
Heather words are just labels. They have no inherent meaning. They are just tools of language, a vehicle for the conveyance of ideas.
(January 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm)amkerman Wrote: You must only be able to understand your beliefs then. Anything that you don't believe you can't possibly begin to understand. You said it yourself, "anything beyond your perception is unknown."

Somehow redefining words proves something, it don't.

Now that I see your argument and can see that you never really had an argument to begin with. You are indeed a fool.
A correction to my previous post "things that are beyond detection and knowledge are unknown". When I posted that, I was trying to work out what you were saying. Now I know....

(January 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm)amkerman Wrote: They are just tools of language, a vehicle for the conveyance of ideas.

Hardly if they're often redefined. The passing of knowledge and ideals becomes difficult and perhaps impossible. Leave the current definitions as they are.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Heather: what you are stating is "how is a terrapin a turtle, they are different words."

The words don't matter, you could call a turtle whatever you want, you could call it a fish if you want, for example. It would still be what it is.
(January 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm)amkerman Wrote: Heather words are just labels. They have no inherent meaning. They are just tools of language, a vehicle for the conveyance of ideas.

Yeah, and it helps if everyone uses the same label. You have an agenda with your misuse of words. You want atheism to be a religion so it would vilify atheists for daring to make fun of religion when they are a part of one. The problem is that atheism is not a religion, so you make up your own definition and tell people they must abide by your definition so you can have an aha! moment if someone actually falls for your lame ass "trick." If such blundering word play can even be called trickery. I find it laughable that you would derive pleasure from something so insignificant and demonstrably false. Lying to yourself to please yourself? Hmm.
I have no agenda shell, you just keep stating that I do. Religions aren't real things. They are concepts. They are labels. They are words. Go out and find religion and bring it to a lab to study it if it is real.
I don't care if you consider atheism a religion or not. It makes no difference to anything, except in your head. You are blinded by your hate of a concept.
Everybody has an agenda, silly. Tongue
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]
I thought reality was perception? You can only perceive things in a lab?

I don't hate religion. You want me too because that suits your mindset. I don't hate religious people, either, though there are a certain few that I abhor. I'm sorry that reality does not mesh with what you want, but that cannot be helped by changing established vocabulary. You're just going to keep this up in an endless cycle. Hopefully, you will realize that there are other discussions to be had before you bury yourself too much in this faulty concept of yours.
That you said I want you to hate religion couldn't be further from the truth. I want you to love. Period. That is my only agenda. Love.
Reality doesn't "mesh" with anything. It is what it is. Incomprehensible.
It's the axiom upon which all is possible.
It's a different sort of agenda than you think I am conveying. You want my position on religion to be hate, so you can "fix" me. If I am not hateful, you have no way to see it as something being wrong and therefore no reason to proselytize. It's common to think atheists are full of hate because they do not agree with god concepts. There should be a support group for that.
Seriously, is this going anywhere? Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5485 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11975 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4771 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 25080 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 6252 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8772 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 28032 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yes, Atheism is a Religion Delicate 278 45939 December 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3322 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4737 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue