Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 8:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afghanistan..troops out NOW!
RE: Afghanistan..troops out NOW!
Organized murder.

If the financial and political elite want to wage war, they should go.

It's like watching two year olds fight violently. We can aruge if one of them is right, or just. But in reality their behavior is immature and foolish.

War is not necessary. Some people say we have to have war, that it is our human nature (As if we know what little of our nature we have left). I say so was shitting yourself, but we are expected to be better behaved than that. If we can toilet train, we can stop getting tricked into compromising our safety and livelihood for the ends of the people that already use us.

Thanks,
-Pip
How else do you stop a rampaging madman or regime? You sit patiently watching him burn your neighbors homes, 'cause he's no direct threat to you or your loved ones, until he reaches your home before you attempt to stop him?

Yeah, that's a plan.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
But which madman is it my responsobility to fight? The one in Afganistan, or the one here? If I believe that both sides of the conflict can't claim moral imperitive, then both leaders are "madmen" to me. One is a madman in another country far away with no power over me. The other is a democratically elected (may be) leader of a country that I represent and help pay for.

What is the difference between us fighting them because they fucked with us and are evil, and them fighting us because we fucked with them and we are evil?

That the best course of action to reach a world where there is no rampaging madmen anywhere, is to try to disallow them in your own country. You have to pick you battles wisely. If the Afgans didn't allow madmen, and we didn't allow madmen, we wouldn't have to fight each other, only police ourselves. But if they do allow rampaging madmen, how are we better to react with the same?

I am trying to purport that the same argument you are using could be used by middle easterners to the same effect. It is rhetoric justifying senselessness.

I am trying to present a mind frame that might move towards the end of the cycle of madmen, you seem to be arguing a system of perpetuity.

Thank you,
-Pip
(August 3, 2009 at 8:31 am)Pippy Wrote: I am trying to present a mind frame that might move towards the end of the cycle of madmen,
Thank you,
-Pip

I seemed to have missed that part. How to do that? Allow them to run rampant until direct threat to you?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
(August 2, 2009 at 6:23 pm)bozo Wrote:
(August 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: So you didn't say what I answered thinking it was yours? Fair enough but I disagree with the concept of just/unjust war because it requires an international law and there can be no such thing until there is a world government, one with enough teeth to enforce its dictats ... until then all we have is a popularity contest with the more powerful nations holding the greatest sway.

Sorry, but it doesn't take any form of government for every individual to have an opinion on whether a war is " just ".

And one person's opinion doesn't make a war just or unjust ... again we are back to the concept of a popularity contest.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(August 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:
(August 2, 2009 at 6:23 pm)bozo Wrote:
(August 2, 2009 at 5:29 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: So you didn't say what I answered thinking it was yours? Fair enough but I disagree with the concept of just/unjust war because it requires an international law and there can be no such thing until there is a world government, one with enough teeth to enforce its dictats ... until then all we have is a popularity contest with the more powerful nations holding the greatest sway.

Sorry, but it doesn't take any form of government for every individual to have an opinion on whether a war is " just ".

And one person's opinion doesn't make a war just or unjust ... again we are back to the concept of a popularity contest.

Kyu

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and you agreed WW2 was " just " earlier in this thread.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(August 3, 2009 at 3:51 pm)bozo Wrote:
(August 3, 2009 at 3:30 pm)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: And one person's opinion doesn't make a war just or unjust ... again we are back to the concept of a popularity contest.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and you agreed WW2 was " just " earlier in this thread.

Yeah, I said !I think" which clearly says it was my opinion, to which I am entitled ... it don't make me right though!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Quote:How else do you stop a rampaging madman or regime?

Well....in our case we elected Obama.
What if he turns out to be just as mad?
He have to go some to top Bush's record of starting two useless wars.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3503 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1271 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trump appointee shows his support for our troops, and is forced to resign. The Grand Nudger 6 893 January 19, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why Are We Still In Afghanistan? Minimalist 12 3866 June 19, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  Trump threatens to send troops into Mexico to take care of the "bad hombres" Aegon 23 6040 February 12, 2017 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Poll of over 3000 U.S. troops: Gary Johnson preffered over Clinton, Trump ReptilianPeon 7 1844 July 22, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  American military in afghanistan tor 73 10592 April 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Senshi
  My Programme for Afghanistan EgoRaptor 18 3224 January 20, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Shit: Suspect in Torture Is Arrested in Afghanistan Minimalist 0 1015 July 7, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Young as 6 raped by troops in Congo who fled M23 cratehorus 94 33917 June 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: cratehorus